We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit, where to stay? (long)

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit, where to stay? (long)

First, let me say that of all of the TA forms I've read in planning trips, this is hands down my favorite. The passion you all share for this beautiful place is palpable and makes me that much more excited to experience it for myself!

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Provo in January. It's a badly-needed getaway from our kids. We're in our mid-30s and love traveling, but to be honest, while I have been dreaming of Grace Bay for over a year, my wife is a true NYer who thrives on active vacations and doesn't see the appeal of relaxing on a beach. I hope to include enough outings and activities to keep her feeling busy and enable her to enjoy the beauty of the area.

So even though we technically could afford to splurge and stay in one of the high-end hotels, she doesn't appreciate T&C enough to see that as a worthwhile use of money, and to her, some of the prices sound exorbitant.

So I need some help choosing the right place to stay to make sure that she has a good enough time to want to come back (coming back solo just won't be the same!). What's important to us is: spacious room, kitchen, nice furnishings, quiet (not too many kids), balcony, and an ocean view (ideally).

Not important to us: Restaurant (due to dietary restrictions we'll be bringing and preparing our own food), bar, entertainment, service at the beach, and proximity to stores.

From looking at prices at T&C Reservations and Wiol.com, here are my choices and the prices for a 1-BR ocean view room: RWI (327), La Vele (498), Alexandra (358), T&C Club (445), Villa Del Mar (320/450), Coral Gardens (399), Sands (510), Ocean Club (378/462), Leeward (399). On the cheaper side I found La Vista Azul (253) and Harbour Club (245) but have a sense that they're a big step below the others, and for a lot more money are Windsong (677) and WBC (683) which I would only consider if they are heads and shoulders above the others. The extra 21% in tax and fees adds up quickly.

I'm basically looking to get the best bang for my buck and would appreciate any feedback about which of these would be best for us, and which you'd advise looking into further and which should be crossed off the list, and why, and any places I may have overlooked. We will be renting a car.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for all of your help - can't wait to look out of the plane windows and see it for real!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

Whew, this is a tough one... any way to take separate vacations? :-)

For your first visit, I would probably rule out La Vista Azul and Harbor Club. Azul kind of sits on a hill, on the other side of a road that's a long way from the beach. Harbor Club is more like a "fishing camp" that would be fine for a bunch of guys on a fishing trip, but I can almost guarantee your wife wouldn't like it -- kind of rustic.

That said, I would probably lean toward a beachfront resort that's a bit more active than the others (thinking of your wife). By active, I don't mean "party central," but not completely dead either.

This is pure speculation since I don't know either of you, but Royal West Indies, The Sands, and The Alexandra might be good matches. On the higher end, you might want to look at Regent Palms, and Seven Stars.

Particularly in your case, I would highly recommend you call the folks at www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc They can listen to your wants and needs, then discuss the best options for you and your wife. They live and work on the island, so their knowledge is first-hand.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 06 December 2011, 14:22
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

How about villa renaissance or regent grand? Both are upscale without being too fancy, quiet, not a lot of kids and great location to walk to some restaurants and grocery store. We've stayed at VR and Villa Del Mar and like them both very much.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

I haven't been there yet, but from the research I've done Villa Renaissance fits your description. It's more upscale, and if you go directly to their website it will be pricey, but I booked our trip through VRBO.com. We are staying in a beachfront condo for 350$/night in their off season, it's 450$ a night otherwise. It might be a little late to book through them if you have specific dates in January. There are other units that are not beachfront, but pool front that are less expensive and within a less than a minute walk to the beach. Might be worth checking out.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

Your wife is right, prices on TCi are 'exorbitant' and some cases not acceptable

imo- The Alexandria is way too big, and wouldnt feel like a vacation. Coral Gardens is great for snorkeling, but not my 1st choice for a beach. Most of the others are too overpriced for what you get

RWI and Ocean Club West are the best choices listed for getting the 'best bang for your buck'

United States
Level Contributor
458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

I just returned from The Sands and enjoyed a 2 bedroom/2bath suite. They provided a free oceanview upgrade. (My 2nd time there). I have stayed at RWI and coral gardens and much preferred The Sands. Bertholde from the water sports desk took us out for a free ride on the hobie-cat. We tipped him $10. Hemingways restauant is great there.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

You might check out Villa Renaissance. We're here right now and it's quiet (though we do have a toddler with us) but it's not overrun with kids. Very pretty, nice pool and good beach. It's definitely not on the biggest stretch of beach but it hasn't felt crowded yet. Worth looking into.

7. Re: First visit, where to stay? (long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:19