We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to Turks in January... new questions

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Back to Turks in January... new questions

With your guys' help, we had a wonderful week-long stay at the Gansevoort in July. Now, we're less than a month away from our 2nd trip to the island, and this time we're taking my parents! We're staying in a villa in Silly Creek. So, that'll be a new experience.

I have a few of questions:

1. We're there for a week. 2 of the days my parents will be doing 1/2 day scuba excursions and 2 of the days my dad will be doing bonefishing in the morning. So, that really only leaves 2 completely open days. I'm not the type that would want to book a full week's worth of activities, and I'm trying to decide between two things for one of those days: an Island Vibes excursion or the trip to North/Middle Caicos. We did the IV excursion when we were there and LOVED it (which is why we want to take my rents). We didn't do the North/Middle Caicos trip because we told ourself, "We'll do that next time." So, I guess what I'm asking is, is the North/Middle Caicos trip a must-do? And if so, how long does the total trip take?

2. Will there be any lobster grills going on in January? If so, where?

3. I'm a little sad we're not staying on Grace Bay and, after we got back from our July trip, we seriously considered cancelling on our villa and staying on GB with my parents. That said, we do want to take them to walk GB a couple of times, and we also want to take them to snorkle Bight and eat at Somewhere. So, here are my two questions for this: First, what hotels along GB will allow you to park if you aren't staying there? We should be okay at both the Gansevoort and Coral Gardens, right? And, if we do this on one of the days when my parents snorkel in the morning, will their snorkel equipment be safe in the car while we explore GB?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get back. I know that I'm doing myself more harm than good by asking this, but are there any semi-reliable extended forecasts to look at?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

In regards to your third question, there are lots of public access points to the beach along Grace Bay (look for Beach Access signs). You will not need to park at a hotel. The WhereWhenHow map (online and in the magazine) identifies these points with red triangles.

We prefer to stay elsewhere than the Grace Bay area, so when we want to go we need to drive, and often park in the little parking area at the end of the road that the Coral Gardens is on. A few cars can squeeze in, and there's a short path to the beach. You come out right next to Somewhere and in front of the reef.

I don't think anyone looking to steal something from a car is likely to take snorkel gear, but, as always, anything you don't want to risk losing shouldn't be left in the car at all. If we're parked at the beach we don't lock the car anyway, so that a thief doesn't have to break a window to find out there's nothing worth stealing.

Weather is a bit of a touchy subject, but in my experience, a semi-reliable extended forecast will be available a few days before you leave for your trip.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

I think www.windguru.com has the most reliable forecast you can get, as long as your not looking at the long term predictions.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Thanks for these replies. Any responses to my other questions?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

From what I have been hearing the Causeway to Middle Caicos and North is in pretty bad shape, you would have to take your time going over it. I would take them to see Middle Caicos if the weather is perfect for a day trip, because it's so pretty. If not.... take them on Island Vibes.

As far as parking at a resort and walking the beach, I would have breakfast at one of the resorts like the Sands, Alexandra, Ocean Club West, and take a walk after breakfast. There is also public parking on the right side of the Sands resort

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Lobster Grills in January? - Not sure exactly what you refer to. I suspect ALL of our restaurants will have Caicos Lobster on the Menu in January. Some are famous for their preparation: Bay Bistro, Baci, Coyaba come to mind. Some restaurants do Beach BBQs you should call ahead to see if Lobster is included on that Menu. Bay Bistro does one near the Full Moon, The Deck at Seven Stars has a Sunday eve BBQ, Grill Rouge at Grace Bay Club does a Caribbean BBQ on Thursday eves.

About car break-ins - No one can really answer if it is safe to leave snorkle gear in your car. If you leave a beach bag in plain sight with locked doors there is a chance someone will try to break in to get it. If you leave the doors unlocked they might just have a look and leave it. If you are parked at a Public Beach Access and see broken glass all over the ground..... well that is the most likely place this will happen, as well as remote locations out on the northwest side of the island. Parking in a Resort parking lot to go to their restaurant is allowed and more likely to have security sort of watching parking areas.

North/Middle Caicos is an entire day trip, actually you cannot see all of both islands in one day. You can do some sights on North or some sights on Middle and get back to the ferry on time. Mudjin Harbour Middle Caicos IS a Must-Do - then you will have to go back to tour North on your NEXT trip or visa versa.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Thanks so much!

I'd heard that there are sometimes beach lobster cookouts. Maybe that was misinformation?

Should we be concerned about the causeway? Anyone been recently and can report back?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

We stayed on North a few weeks. Yes, the causeway is rough but you just take your time and try to maneuver the pot holes as much as possible!

It's well worth the drive over to Middle to see Mudjin Harbor, Bamberra Beach and having lunch at Daniel's Cafe.

Enjoy!

Edited: 13 December 2011, 21:37
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Meant to say.....we stayed on North a few weeks " ago". Forgot to add that last word!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think we're going to opt out of the trip to North/Middle Caicos and instead spend some more time exploring parts of Provo that we haven't seen and doing an Island Vibes excursion. Can't wait to be back!

Corona, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back to Turks in January... new questions

Hi there...we were there the first week in December and we did the North/Middle Caicos trip. The causeway is battered, but driveable (I recommend a Jeep though).

We have some pictures of the causeway, along with a couple of beaches on Middle Caicos in our slideshow if you're interested in seeing them. It is a full day trip, but highly recommended! The slideshow is here:

http://youtu.be/kOWyhwh0gsw