We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

Arriving Jan. 6th. need to get to ferry from airport as we are staying on North Caicos.

1) Can we walk if all we have are carry ons?

2). In jamaica, there are taxis and "non-reputable" taxis, do we need to be on the look out for this?

3) Are prices negotiable or like government issued?

4) Will I need to schedule/reserve a taxi for our return trip from the ferry to the airport heading home...

Any suggestions for two adults in this situation?

Thanks,

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

1.) No you can't walk from the airport to the ferry as it's almost from one end of the island to another.

2.) I've never heard of non reputable taxis in Provo, but they could possibly exist. We always rent a car and have never use a taxi service.

3.) You can ask the driver up front what the cost would be. They are not metered taxis. From airport to ferry terminal, I'm guessing 10-15 per person + tip.

4.) Most taxi drivers are willing to give out a cell phone number so you can contact them for future needs.

Suggestions? Grab the taxi, take the ferry and enjoy North.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

1 nowalking, about a 20 minute drive

2 all taxi are reputable, and will be just outside the airport

3 no negotiable, price is per person I could be wrong, but assume $30 pp one way

4 yes, but ferry dock usually can call one for you

when do you arrive? You better make sure you can at least make the last ferry over

Have the taxi stop at IGA supermarket on the way to ferry (even if costs more) and stock with whatever foods you can't live with, North has limited supplies.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

As to Blamona's point DO make sure you stop at the IGA in Provo.

We stayed on North a few weeks ago and there is very limited groceries there. Especially fresh meat and produce.

Where are staying? You can usually hook up with someone to get fresh fish from one of the local fisherman.

Enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
716 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

$30 pp is much closer and definitely stock up with food and supplies...

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

We"re staying at pelican beach so I'm not sure that we need to take food but maybe snacks. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited: 16 December 2011, 19:02
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

We"re staying at pelican beach so I'm not sure that we need to take food but maybe snacks. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited: 16 December 2011, 19:03
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

Edited: 16 December 2011, 19:03
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

Highly recommend you contact Grace Bay Car Rentals, and arrange for their least expensive car to be there for you. On the way to the ferry, stop by the grocery store (it's a straight shot down Leeward Hwy), and stock up on needed supplies, as there's no substantial grocery store on North or Middle Caicos.

Leave the car at the ferry marina (GBCR will pick it up), and off you go. Costs the same of less as taking a taxi, while you have the freedom to easily take care of all your own needs.

Enjoy. :-)

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

The last time we did a taxi it was $17 per person. There is a set rate and the guy in the orange vest outside the airport will tell you what it is.

I am gueSsing you will getting the meal plan, so Susan will feed you well!

KJ's grocery is close by and has snacks, but not as many as on Provo. If you have a snack you must have, bring it with you as you may not find it there.

Have fun! We are headed to Barracuda Beach Bar at Pelican tonight for sunset cocktails.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Prices from Airport to Ferry

Joebwan,

Have you stayed at Pelican before? I don't think they provide mini fridges, otherwise I would definitely consider picking up some sodas and waters for our trips around North and middle.

I was thinking of just packing some snacks in my back pack from home to save some $$. I doubt this will be an issue, but glad for the advice to stop at groceries if needed.

I might consider taking early ferry back on the day of our departure to tour around provo and rent a car for the day since it is affordable, but our main goal was to get away to North and be away from crowds, etc.. But thanks everyone for the advice!

Looking forward to my trip, I lived on South for a summer study abroad and looking forward to seeing the other islands.