We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best activities for first-time visitors

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best activities for first-time visitors

My wife and I will be arriving in Provo the week after next for our first ever visit. We plan to take it easy in the mornings, relaxing on Grace Bay and Taylor Bay. After lunch I think we'll be up for something more active. Since we'll only have times for a few water activities, which of the following would you recommend doing (or skipping):

Half-day boat rental - I think we'll love this. Is Abuv it All the only company that does this?

Jet ski rental/tour - sounds like fun, but a lot of money; if we do it, is it worth doing the tour to see the sights?

Provo Ponies - I'm not wild about it, but my wife loves the idea of horseback riding

Submarine boat tour of Smith's reef - we may try to snorkel, but if it doesn't work out, it seems a good way to see the reef

Exploring off-the-beaten-path beaches - Leeward, Pelican, Malcolm's, Pirates Cove (any updates on safety at the last two?)

Full-day ferry to North Caicos and rent a car to explore North and Middle - sounds like fun, but we're only there for 4 days and doesn't seem worth it to give up a full one for this, so maybe save for next trip?

Snuba - doesn't sound like the new boat will arrive in time, and not so interested in doing it at Bight Reef

Anything else I may have left out

Edited: 06 January 2012, 19:27
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

Just a couple suggestions:

1/2 day tour with Caicos Dream Tours or Island Vibes -- to explore Half Moon Bay, Iguana Island, dive for Conch, snorkel....

Lunch & just enjoying the beach at da Conch Shack -- very casual & charming beachside restaurant

Enjoy your trip!!! :)

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

Our Top two are:

Jet ski

Caicos Dream Tour 1/2 day

we always have a blast doing these two activities while on Provo.

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

Thanks for the quick replies.

Camke - who do you rent your jet skis from, and do you go out on your own or take the tour? How long do you usually go out for, and can you actually explore new places or is just for the fun of flying through the water?

Please keep the suggestions coming, although I don't think we're interested in the half-day tours.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

www.turksandcaicos.tc/sunandfun

They have one, or two hour trips, also Safari jet ski tours. They take you along Long Bay beach and out towards Leeward Going Through, and Mangrove Cay. That was a one hour tour. You can ask how far , and where they go for the two hour tour.

I believe you can go with, or without a guide.

It was so much fun, can't wait to do it again.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

If you decide against jet skiing due to pricing I would highly recommend renting a skiff from Abuv It All. That way you can snorkel and explore some of the surrounding deserted keys at your own pace.

Pack a lunch, sunscreen and hat. Mike will provide you with a cooler, map and radio.

Enjoy your first trip to Provo!

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

I'm pretty sure we're planning to rent a skiff for half a day from Abuv it All. If we do this, would the jet ski rental be repetitive, or is it different because you explore different areas and the experience of being on the jet ski?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

Mike rents skiffs only in calm weather, so if the water is choppy, you won't be able to go. So you won't know if you'll do it until the morning of the planned trip. Hope it works out for you, it was the highlight of our stay back in July. We plan to try it in winter again and hope for some calm days.

8. Re: Best activities for first-time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:20