We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rahway, New Jersey
7 posts
Save Topic
The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

I'm planning a trip to celebrate my birthday the first week in March and am making myself crazy with indecision.

Obviously, a lot has already booked up, but OC and RWI both have some decent availability.

Looks like the equivalent $ choice is a Junior Garden Suite at OC or an Oceanview Studio at RWI.

Our major wants are:

* a fantastic, white sand beach

* easy proximity to cocktails (beach service if they've got it!)

* cheerful, non-claustrophic room - good light, decent furnishings more important than square footage.

* quiet-ish, more couples than kids

Any direction would be most welcome!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

Both are comparable, both are within properties of each other so same beachfront.

Every property on Grace Bay has a fantastic sandy beach, its 12 miles of scrumptious!

I heard both were starting beach service, but I really think it's hit or miss, more upscale properties definitely offer it. (A mid range property that definitely does is The Sands Resort)

Most rooms of any resort there are cheerful. Ocean Club is a little dated though, RWI a little more luxurious.

Quiet-sh, you need to look at other proerties, both are extremely popular and extremely kid friendly.

If you want quiet, don't know your budget, but you might want to check Villa Renaissance, Le Vele, West Bay club, Turks and Caicos Club. Some on VRBO that are more residential would be more quiet, but none of these tend to have beach service. (beach service and quiet don't go together unless you pay more for a property)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

Stayed at both Ocean Club West and Royal West Indies.

Both meet your criteria, although I'm not sure about beach service.

The "quiet-ish" edge goes to Ocean Club West, only because the bar at Royal West Indies tends to be more lively in the evenings.

Honestly, I can't find a way to recommend one over the other. They're both nice, moderately priced resorts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

We never saw lots of kids at either resort, but I think that's a "hit or miss" situation. Most all resorts along Grace Bay are family-friendly, but (exception being Beaches Resort) it's never been a destination dominated by tons of kids running around.

Could just be that I don't notice them as much as others. :-)

Edited: 19 January 2012, 19:16
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

OCW does have beach service.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

Not sure which OC you are talking about, have stayed at OCW and RWI. OCW more centrally located if that is an issue for you. We prefer OCW becuase it is so close to grocery, shopping and more restaurants. As Keater mentioned, yes there is beach service at OCW.

Edited: 19 January 2012, 19:57
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

Both resorts are on the widest part of the beach not any difference. The first week of March may not be so many school age kids for spring break. You said Ocean Club so I am assuming you mean Ocean Club East. The other, Ocean Club West, is located right next to Royal West Indies so you are sharing the same beach. We have stayed at the Ocean Club East and it is very quiet and no traffic. Three great resturants right there and a small convenient store. The Cabanna Beach Bar is steps away on the beach, no need for service. Golf course accross the street with a very good steakhouse resturant. Very lush landscaping. They have a free shuttle service so you have use of both Ocean Club East and Ocean Club West and all resturants and shopping at the West location. I don't know why they keep saying OCE is outdated. Most condos have been updated and are nice. Ours was all new.OCW is more in the hub of things, centrally located. Royal West Indies has the lush tropical landscaping and if you are told oceanview I would ask specificlly because many have said their oceanview was a small slice barely visible. Unless you are in the front buildings it will be slim. Same for the Ocean Clubs. All are nice and have perks. Do you want quiet or close to the action?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

I've stayed at RWI three times. They had beah service last summer. RWI has much better beach chairs than OC does. That would give it the edge for me!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

kjscap, we have stayed at both several times, what has your recent experience at Pelican Bay been like? Love the fact that RWI has Hobie's for the guests to use!!!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

The one bedroom unit we rented through vrbo at Ocean Club was renovated and like brand new. It was an excellent accommodation. We enjoyed having the unspoiled, open beach when walking east. The Cabana Bar & Grill is in a great location next to the beach. We will definitely visit when staying at OCW in April.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 02:04
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The eternal question... Ocean Club or Royal West Indies?!

We actually did not use Pelican Bay at all--too many other favorites to visit!