We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways price jump

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways price jump

So while I'm waiting a couple of days for Nicola at the Sands to reply to our email conversation to confirm our reservation, US Airways bumps the ticket up $95!! Has anyone seen other airlines go up so much this week? Do you think it's only going to get worse, or if I wait til the first part of next week, it might come back down? Never booked with them before and thrilled to dump AA, but now their price is going to be close to AA since US charges for every checked bag each way and AA gives us one each free each way. Thoughts?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: US Airways price jump

We had a 70 minute layover in Charlotte on Saturday morning on the way down. We made it but we certainly didn't have much time to spare. We were hoping to grab breakfast and a coffee. We had to do so very quickly. They start boarding that flight to Provo pretty early. But we got on and had no problems stowing carry-ons, even though it was a full flight.

On the way back we had an hour and a half layover. Our plane landed in Charlotte a bit early, but there was a lot of traffic on a Saturday night and by the time we all got of the plane and into customs, two other flights had landed and we very quickly filled the space. It moved well, and thankfully rechecking the bags didn't take nearly as much time as I expected, but it still didn't' leave us much time to grab dinner in the airport. I bought a few quesadillas while my husband and the kids boarded the plane, and we ate our food on the plane. I'd suggest you make sure you have at least 90 minutes in between flights. Maybe you'll get lucky and be the only plane to land and go through customs... but if not, be prepared for a long line. Again, it moves, not as big of a nightmare as the Provo airport, but be aware of the possibility.

wny
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: US Airways price jump

I booked our flights for (Feb 2012), from Buffalo to Provo, through NYC, in Oct 2011, it was $900 each RT. Just checked yesterday $1800 one way! Ouch! Jet Blue.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: US Airways price jump

Relayer,

I have to say, that does not make me feel better! But if paying more for plane tickets to Provo is the price I have to pay for living in Austin, then so be it!!

And lesson learned -- go ahead and book the airfare even if you are waiting on the hotel to confirm the reservation. Can't blame the Sands for not replying as quickly as they usually do. Just bad luck I guess.

Here's to all of us having wonderful travels to Provo this year!

Edited: 11 February 2012, 05:59
PA
Level Contributor
169 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: US Airways price jump

I wasn't sure it was a good deal when I booked, but $865 for two people round trip, including all taxes sounded good to me so I jumped on it. We are flying non stop from PHL in June,

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: US Airways price jump

You definitely got a GREAT deal!!!! Happy travels.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
299 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: US Airways price jump

We were going to go Wednesday to Sunday non stop from Philly in June. It looks like as of June, there are no more nonstop Wednesday flights.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: US Airways price jump

"And lesson learned -- go ahead and book the airfare even if you are waiting on the hotel to confirm the reservation. Can't blame the Sands for not replying as quickly as they usually do. Just bad luck I guess."

seashellmom, I do the opposite. I always book the airfare first, then worry about lodging afterwards. The price I'm paying is having to wait 8 months for this trip to commence. We're definitely fortunate to have a few non-stop options in our area.

Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: US Airways price jump

We bit the bullet and went nonstop AA out of DFW. For June, it's pretty brutal (>$800/pp RT) costwise compared to the deals you guys seem to be getting, but we plan on taking some dive gear and wanted to avoid the short stopovers enroute at Miami and Charlotte that make lost bags more possible outbound and re-checking a pain on the return leg.

Having two kids under 10 y/o makes it a little rough on the longer layovers, too.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: US Airways price jump

0tt0d0g,

We did the Saturday nonstop from DFW to Provo before, and had planned to do it this year. It was really smooth last time. But for the week we wanted to go this June, it was $200 more pp than US Air and after everything good I read on the forum, I was happy to switch, as we had a nightmare with AA last summer and I was ready to dump them. Turns out we now change planes in Charlotte and all the money I thought I was saving was spent on US Air fare increase, extra money for "choice" seats I had to purchase, and checking bags. So basically, cost is a wash. But we have better departure and arrival times. And I'm still happy to try US Air just to avoid AA this summer. We'll see how I feel after it is all said and done.

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: US Airways price jump

Willtravelfromhere - You should consider flying out of Syracuse. I just booked US Airways for July 2012 for $422 RT/pp, connecting in Charlotte. (We paid $525 out of SYR for the same time period last year.) Our home airport is 30 minutes away and Syracuse is close to two hours, but the savings are big enough (couple hundred dollars per person) to justify the inconvenience. We are actually using the saved money to buy RT airfare to Grand Turk so we can split our stay between the two islands. We love flying US Airways and connecting through Charlotte. Philly is okay too.