We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

My husband and I (early 30s) are visting TCI for the first time with our 14 month old. We are considering either the one bedroom luxury at the west bay club or the english cottage room at the somerset with a gardenview.

I am torn because usually I wouldnt care too much about our room, but with a baby (and naps, an earlier bedtime, etc.) i feel like we will likely be spending more time in our room that i normally would so it might be nice to have dinner on the balcony, etc. if that baby is sleeping.

The most important thing to us is to be at a smaller resort. I don't like the "big resort" type hotels where you need to get to the pool/beach early to get a chair, etc. It would also be nice to have a few restaurants or bar to get drinks at within walking distance, although from my research it seems like everyone recommends renting a car....although, again, with a baby the convenience of being able to walk to a few restaurants or cook dinner in our suite would be nice. Umbrellas/beach chairs to provide shade are also a must for the baby - but it doesnt seem like this will be an issue anywhere. Snorkeling isnt a big deal to us - just a nice beach and pool (which again, seem amazing at either resort).

We also considered Turks and Caicos Club and Grace Bay Club, but likely WBC and Somerset better. However, if there is something else i am not considering that you think would be good for us, please let me know.

Thank you all SOOO much for your help - i am so looking forward to our first time to TCI!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

While I prefer The Somerset location and beach area, with a baby I might be tempted to go with WBC and the ocean front room so you could still enjoy the view while your baby naps, etc.

I've stayed at both places and both are gorgeous resorts. They both provide the intimate resort feel. You would have more restaurants within walking distance at the Somerset.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Regardless of where you stay, I would recommend having an oceanfront or at least a really good oceanview room if traveling with a baby/toddler.....for all the reasons you pointed out in your original post. Also, I believe most of the resorts on Grace Bay offer oceanfront suites with full kitchens, so you should be able to find something that fits your budget & location requirements.

By renting a car, you'd have a lot more flexibility in regards to where to dine, for grocery shopping, etc.....again, no matter where you stay. The WBC offers a great value in the luxury category. However, since you mentioned being close to snorkeling isn't important & that you prefer to have more dining choices nearby, there are other resorts, including the Somerset, that are better in that regards.

Have you considered an oceanview or oceanfront at the Somerset? Also, others that come to mind that are in the luxury category & close to more restaurant choices are: the Grace Bay Club (you may want to re-consider), Seven Stars & Regent Grand.

Another suggestion....contact Turks and Caicos Reservations. They are a local booking company with a wonderful staff that IMO can really help you narrow down your choices & find you the best fit. Many times, they also know of specials for some of the resorts that aren't advertised on the resort's websites or elsewhere:

www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc

Edited: 26 March 2012, 19:47
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Whew, this is a close one -- we've personally stayed at both, and greatly enjoyed both.

Here's something you might want to consider -- the english cottages at Somerset have a beautiful croquet lawn, directly in front (that's where we stayed). It's a great place for a 14-month-old to run around, while you and your spouse enjoy breakfast, or possibly dinner (you can have a table that overlooks the lawn). Somerset does have more restaurant / bar options within walking distance. Plunge (Regent Palms) is one of our favorite spots, and is directly next door.

Agree that Turks and Caicos Reservations is a great resource. Be sure to ask about "travel rewards," as you'll probably receive a couple days free car rental, or another perk.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

I would say West Bay Club...there is nothing like sitting on the balcony watching the ocean as your baby sleeps within range. We have stayed at WBC 2 times and the rooms are beautiful and clean and the hotel never feels like there are many people at all. So relaxing...IMO!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Thanks so much for the posts and help - I called T&C Reservations today....they were great, and very helpful but i think almost made it more difficult because the woman i spoke to suggested we stay at the Villa Renaissance or Le Vele! Both looked very nice as well....i guess its a good thing to have too many choices?!? She also threw out Villa Del Mar - a resort i had never really considered because its not oceanfront but she mentioned that the walk to the beach would be the same as the gardenview room at the Somerset?

Unfortunately, there are no oceanview rooms at somerset available in early June when we will be traveling or this would have been an easier decision!

Coming from the states and being a "worry about everything" new mom, i am terrified to drive on the left side of the road, so that is why i thought being centrally located to be able to walk to restaurants was key, but i guess if there are kitchenettes in most of the rooms and we will be cooking its not as big of a deal?!

The other thing that made me nervous about the somerset gardenview rooms is that it looked like there were a lot of stairs in the room as opposed to being a single floor layout?

As i mentioned in my earlier post, im really trying to figure out what traveling with a baby will be like....staying at a resort used to just be a place to shower and sleep since pre-baby we would be on the beach, at the pool or at nice dinners but now that we have the baby i feel like we should splurge for the nicer room since we will likely be in the room more?! (if you cant be at the beach, it might be nice to be able to look at the beach while he's napping?!)

if you have any suggestions on my now expanding list of choices, please let me know - thanks so much in advance!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Hmm, I've also stayed at Villa del Mar, and she's right that the measured distance to the beach is about the same. Great central location, IMO. Easy for groceries, restaurants, shops, etc.

Villa Renaissance also has a great, central location -- just walk out the front entrance, and you have shops and restaurants at your door step.

Don't know about availability, but you might want to also ask about Regent Grand, Seven Stars, and Ocean Club West.

Le Vele is more of a residential type property, and a great value. It's located next to Point Grace Resort, but you'll need some form of transportation.

Been there, done that with a 14-month-old. That was his first T&C vacation, some twelve years ago -- they grow up quickly. :-)

Edited: 26 March 2012, 21:35
Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Thanks so much for the comments! Villa Renaissance (1 BR OF), Sommerset (1 BR Gardnenview) and West Bay Club (1 BR lux OF) are all about the same in price...with the big difference (IMO) being for that price you get OF at VR and WBC. I think I probably need to just decide how much time i am actually going to spend at the resort/in our room vs. how much time we will be wandering around and therefore how important it is being centrally located (if we want to wander around and go out to dinner) vs. if we want to just be at a really nice resort and enjoy that resort and make dinner....again, such an easier decision pre-baby!

Its so hard for me to justify spending 2Xs as much at the somerset for a gardenview room (although i know the amenities are nicer) as i would at Villa del mar!

Ill check out the other resorts you suggested....and my list continues to grow!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Having an oceanfront room is essential to us, but even moreso with the kid-factor....& not only during mid-day naps. Part of the whole experience for us was to get as much of that gorgeous beach & ocean....out on the balcony to see the sunrise (before the kids were up) & to be that close to the ocean listening to lapping of the waves (after the kids went to bed).....and all the times in between. With kids this young, room location is an important consideration. Plus, usually oceanfront also means being that much closer to the beach, for that easier "back & forth" during the day.....

As far as being more central on Grace Bay or not, I think that's more of a toss-up....and I guess it really comes down to (like you said) how comfortable you will be driving on the island and/or how often you plan on being away from the general area your resort is.

We were nervous too about driving on the opposite side of the road since we'd never done so.....but found that in Provo, it was remarkably easier than we'd anticipated. Also, after figuring out the places & restaurants we'd probably want to see/try out (Taylor Bay/Las Brisas, Da Conch Shack, Magnolia @ Turtle Cove, Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro), we realized that if we stayed at the "hub", far west or far east side we'd need a car more days than not.....since many places really weren't an easy walking distance (especially with kids) or by the time you factor in cab fare, it'd be more economical to rent a car.

But I could also appreciate wanting more restaurants to choose from during the day for lunch or being able just to walk across the street to grab one or two things at the grocery store, too.....so again, it's a toss up.

Either way, choosing a place to stay on Grace Bay can be overwhelming....but a good problem to have! ....So many great choices!!!

Edited: 27 March 2012, 00:09
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

"Also, after figuring out the places & restaurants we'd probably want to see/try out (Taylor Bay/Las Brisas, Da Conch Shack, Magnolia @ Turtle Cove, Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro), we realized that NO MATTER if we stayed at the "hub", far west or far east side we'd need a car more days than not.....since ALL places really AREN'T an easy walking distance FROM ONE PARTICULAR AREA...."

Sorry....needed to edit my post again....I capitalized the words I needed to edit on my previous post....hopefully now, it makes sense.... ;)

Edited: 27 March 2012, 00:20
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somerset Gardenview vs. West Bay Club one bedroom luxury

Ok......here are my thoughts.

Location......Between WBC and Somerset....no comparison.

Somerset is located more centrally with many close by options to dine and enjoy worldclass Spa at Regent Palms right next door.

Pools are ocean facing and a wonderfully zero entry that is perfect for small children.

The English Cottage (Garden Villas are very spacious with 1460 sq. feet.

Have stayed there many times and love the guiet feel of them and it is a beautiful view of the croquet lawn and lite plams at night.

The Somerset resort to me just has a nicer feel to the property with the Estate Homes, Sterling House and Garden Villas. Grounds are very nicely landscaped and just has a vibe to it.

Nothing really wrong with WBC. It just is less physically attractive and the location is more removed from walking to close by resorts and restaurants.

Just my thoughts.

Mike