We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks vs Grand Cayman

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
488 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Turks vs Grand Cayman

Would love feedback comparing Turks and Caicos vs Grand Cayman in terms of the following:

-weather in November

-beach walking-Grace bay/ 7 mile beach

-proximity to restaurants

-entertainment-live music/other

-affordability & quality of 1 bedroom condo rentals

Thanks!

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

Kawag

If you search the topic in the search box.. you will find MANY discussions and comparisons on these 2 choices.

Having only been to Grand Cayman once.. I liked it .. but not enough to return... and I have been to Provo numerous times.

NO COMPARISON in my opinion between Grace Bay Beach and 7 Mile...

Grace Bay is FAR superior and far less crowded !!

Edited: 29 March 2012, 23:47
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

I'll second that!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
169 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

I will 3rd that!!!! 7 mile is pretty but G.B. is nicer but Provo tha city is much nicer than Grand Cayman. In fact, we never usually go to the same place twice and we r leaving Monday for Provo:)

United States
Level Contributor
458 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

I' ve been to Grand Cayman twice years ago and Provo 5 times in the past 4 years and much prefer Provo. Generally more expensive lodging but well worth it due to the beauty of Grace Bay Beach. Less nightlife than GC. I have been twice in Nov. and the temps are in the low 80's. I fly nonstop from Charlotte on US Airways.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,483 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

I have also been to Grand Cayman (business trip )

Its not a place I would pick for a holiday

Boston...
Level Contributor
758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

Grand Cayman is like 2 different islands when there are/aren't cruise ships in port.

Hanging out at Rum point in a hammock with a mudslide when it's quiet is awesome. If they are running the boat taxi's over for the cruise ships, I wouldn't bother going, as it becomes way overcrowded.

Walking to restaurants is probably a draw.

Water activities is also probably a draw.

Providenciales:

Mostly upscale, condo resorts.

Better and longer walking beach.

More laid back. No real entertainment other than singers at dinner. (Unless you stay or pay to visit one of the AI's).

Clear choice if you want a quiet beach vacation and it fits your budget.

Grand Cayman:

May have to get up early to reserve a palaypa, depending on where you stay.

Weather will probably be warmer in Novemeber.

More/Better entertainment.

Better shore snorkeling.

Has a wider range of accommodations. Mostly big resort hotels.

Definitely more "Americanized".

Stingray City.

Champlin Minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

We just returned from Provo as first time visitors and we've been to Grand Cayman 6 times over the last 15 years. We won't be going back to Provo based on personal preferences. Please no feedback criticizing, this is our personal opinion on Provo. Beaches and water are stunningly gorgeous, locals friendly, but once off the beach, the island infastructure doesn't seem to exist. Garbage is everywhere, just everywhere as are abandoned items. We found the stray dog issue heart-breaking and will be supporting Potcakes from now on, but there needs to be a shelter or shelters. Our snorkel tour operator didn't seen to honor any type of reef protection efforts is they do indeed exist---they dropped anchor directly onto the reef instead of using moorings. Reef protection efforts are more evident on Cayman. Lots of wealth obvious is some areas, but just across the street and down the road from the resorts people are living in poor conditions. Found it hard to sit and enjoy ourselves recognizing our servers could be heading home to such poor living condtions.

Grand Cayman has a much healtier economy, so these types of things are not as evident as it also seems to be on Aruba and the USVI's. Other Grand Cayman things:

-7 mile beach is very pretty, and you can walk several miles on wide,equally white sandy beaches. Ony toward Georgetown does the beach get narrower and more rocky. Provo has more beach distance and the water is more turquoise, is brightly colored much further out and is shallower further from shore.The water color on Provo is awe-inspiring in fact, it almost doesn't look real.

-GC is much more congested overall, many more resort properties on beach closer together.Agree with previous post, more options on GC. Recommended VRBO for villas. Provo much more laid back and quiet.

-GC main road parallel to beach very, very busy and difficult to cross

-restaurants just as good as provo, more nightlife than provo

-GC shore snorkeling great in front of many hotels and properties

-can't speak to November weather, but our week on provo was excessively windy 3/16 to 3/24 and a number of locals said the last two weeks in March and April tend to be very windy. Wish we would have known that before making our plans.

They are different island experiences.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

Foxml, thanks for the thoughtful comparison of 2 beautiful islands. I am partial to the Turks and Caicos and prefer its quiet nature over that of Grand Cayman. However, having said that, everything you wrote in your review has definite merit. Two different islands = two different experiences.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

You cannot go wrong either way--our two favorite Caribbean destinations.

I give Grace Bay Beach a slight edge, Grand Cayman restaurants a slight edge, hotels accomodations in Grand Cayman are more varied and plentiful, Grace Bay Condo resorts are nice as most come with more services. Watersports are great on both islands, but I would give Grace Bay the star for snorkeling, Grand Cayman the star for scuba diving.

Seriously, you'll find merits with both--select one, be amazed, then visit the other as soon as you get the opportunity to and be amazed again!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turks vs Grand Cayman

been to both three times each. the beach is great in both locations. on post stated that turks is a little laid back. i think that is right. rum point is not the same place that it was back in 1991. the first time i traved there . if you stay near the ritz in cayman ( using that as a starting point} there are many rest's around that location . the beach is great aroung that area. remember the holiday inn . what a great place.

turks , i think the beach is better. but i think the service in the rest"s is not that great. and their are more and better rest's in grand cayman.

the first time i traved to turks was 1988 club med and i loved the beach and i still do. so i think it comes down to this. i like truks during the day and cayman at night. if i had to pick one to live on ( on th beach of course] i think it would be grand cayman. . but i returning to turks this friday.so both place are great you won"t go wrong by picking either one ...