We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somerset - room reservation

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Somerset - room reservation

After endless hours of research, im convinced and will be booking at the Somerset (although, i will admit, some of the recent reviews about service had me a bit nervous?!) Anyway, I am very excited to finally have made a decision and want to get this vacation booked!

Any suggestions on where to make my reservation? Spoke to T&C Reservations, and looked at booking directly with the hotel, but the best deal that I could find for a 1BR oceanview in the Sterling house seemed to be on travelocity? A lot of people rave about vrbo but i couldnt find any 1 BR oceanview rooms at the somerset on vrbo. Are there owners that rent out privately (or perhaps do any of you want to rent to me :) just saying....)

Finally, can someone tell me what the oceanview is like from the 1BRs in the sterling? Is the balcony nice/large? are you able to request a higher floor if available?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somerset - room reservation

Personally, I say call the resort directly for the desired room you are looking for. Only they can put in your request for a higher floor if available.

The Somerset will try to accomodate you.

Mike

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somerset - room reservation

I am actually going to get a tour of the rooms when we go back to the island in December - never seen them.

Gigi

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
227 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somerset - room reservation

I have yet to go to Provo (our trip is in June), so I'm probably not the best source, but I would recommend booking with T&C Reservations or directly with the hotel. I booked through Expedia in order to get their package deal which ended up being about $200 less than either T&C or the hotel. And now, after reading about all the wonderful service that people get from T&C, I am regretting that decision. Especially since I'm about to book a car rental, making the savings through Expedia even less (since T&C would have given me 2 days rental free). I think the peace of mind of either booking directly with the hotel (probably a better chance of getting a room request) or with someone on the island who can help in an emergency would have been worth the extra cost over the Expedial "deal."

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Somerset - room reservation

I have to second Eloracm's suggestion on try Turks and Caicos Reservations again. I'd found a "better deal" on another booking agency's website for a resort we were looking into & Val @ TCR was able to get the resort to match the deal for us.

I am also very particular on room location requests. I believe that since Val & his team are on the island & have relationships with many of the resort managers, they will work very hard to see that your room request is fulfilled. You do have to keep in mind that it never is a "guarantee" until you check in (since so many factors can affect the actual room you'll be assigned to). However, IMO, I think that you will have a better chance with TCR than if you were booking through Travelocity. As Eloracm mentioned, they are on-island & offer a great service....plus the "bonus" of their rewards program. =)

Edited: 03 April 2012, 20:08
Mentioned in this post
Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Somerset - room reservation

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Does anyone have a feel for what the oceanview is like from the 1BRs in the sterling? or how large the balcony is? I havent been able to find a lot of pictures and with kids (and naps and early bed times) i am sure my husband and i will be spending a fair amount of time on the balcony....

Springfield, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Somerset - room reservation

If you pm me I have some pics from our balcony at the Somerset. They are from a 2 bedroom 3rd floor view and a 3 bedroom 1st floor view. Both are beautiful and overlook the lap and infinity pools- u can obviously see more of the ocean from the 3rd floor but the 1st floor was really convenient with our then 3 year old daughter.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somerset - room reservation

Somerset's a beautiful property -- we stayed there a few years ago in one of the two-bedroom English Cottages.

We didn't use Turks and Caicos Reservations for booking The Somerset, but we've since started using them for our Turks and Caicos vacations. Great service, and we appreciate the rental car perks.

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somerset - room reservation

View will be nice but please be aware that you willnot be "ocean front"....meaning you will see the ocean but yyou will not be what i would term "close to it". You are not "steps" away from the ocean if that is what you are pictureing in your head. Really none of the buildings are right on the beach. Dont get me wrong , it is a nice place and we have stayed there twice, once in the sterling building penthouse and once in the wellwyn building... I just remember the first time i was there, i was kind of surprised at how far back they are from the water. If you go to their website, you will eventually see a picture that shows the 2 pools and the ocean behind them, there are 2 buildings on each side of the pools - THIS is exactly what your view will be from the upper sterling buildings...Gorgeous!! just not really close to the ocean.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Somerset - room reservation

This might seem odd to some, but we've never cared much for resort properties, built directly along the primary beachfront dune line. Reason is, we personally don't care to lie on a beach, knowing that others might be gazing down from "above."

Just my opinion, but it's nice to walk out to a beachfront, and feel as though it's our private sanctuary. Fortunately, the vast majority of resort properties along Grace Bay offer that experience.

I realize that others enjoy sitting on their balconies with upclose views of the beach and ocean. However, a nice glimpse of the beach and full view of the beautiful blue ocean is just fine for us. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,047 Reviews
Providenciales
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,491 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somerset - room reservation

FYI, 90% of the resorts are individually owned condos placed in rental pools treated as a resort. Because they have to be fair to all owners they have to rotate the units, and might not honor a specific request.

While it doesn't hurt to ask, no one can guarantee a specific unit will be given to you. You pay for a specific type room, but which ever owner is next gets the rental.