We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
The Seven Stars Survival Guide

So you decided to book the Seven Stars. Mazal Tov!!

And now what? Not quite sure what to do? Got that deer in headlights look? Time to change that to Raccoon in Fresh Indian leftover garbage can look. Or something like that.. you know what I mean.

Here are some tips that should enhance your stay. Some of these are my opinions btw so save the hate mail and voodoo. I occasionally have friends and family stay here so I'm partially doing this to save my own time writing stuff for them, so this is well overdue

Airport – first things first, get your island reading material. After customs, go straight (slight left) to the WWH stand to pick your free copy of the dining guide and magazine. Then let the SS rep know that you arrived safely, call your mom, and take a taxi to your hotel ($13/adult, $6/child).

Car – You can get away without renting in this location but renting for at least 2 days is recommended.

On one of the days drive to Taylor Bay in the morning followed by lunch at Las Brisas (closed Tuesday) overlooking stunning chalk sound. On another day drive to Blue Hills and have lunch at the Conch Shack, Sailing Paradise, or any of the other local spots (caribdesi is the expert on that). We normally rent from Grace Bay Rentals and never had any issues. They can drop the car off and you can just leave it and the keys by the lobby when you done.

Excursion – Some of the popular ones are half day excursions with outfits like Island vibes or Caicos Dream Tours. Entire list in here (links on the left)... wherewhenhow.com/turks-caicos-islands/…

If you want parasailing, you can just catch “Marvelous Max” walking around on the beach and he can get someone to pick you up within minutes.

IGA market – 5 minute walk. Come out of the hotel and its straight ahead. Get you Bambarra Rum coconut + Pineapple juice and its party time folks.

6 AM wake up call – Yep, time to reserve your seat by the pool. Oh I'm just kidding around folks – 6:30 will do just fine. Folks, I AM kidding, this is not Aruba. You will have plenty of seats throughout the day even when the hotel is full. NO NEED TO RESERVE SEATS

Entertainment – you have music about 6 days a week (every day except Monday currently). NaDa Thursdays and Saturdays about 6:30 to around 9-10 depending on the mood. Sunday beach BBQ with music (about $49/pp). Seafood bbq on another night

Caicos Bakery – (close sundays) 5 minutes away. Come out, turn left and look for it right next to Caicos Cafe. Get some croissants (almond - yum, choc) and a long baguette and dont worry about the “here's another idiot binging their own bread to breakfast” looks. You'll get used to it. Best bread on the island. Well, of course, they are french

Lunch: Besides lunch at the hotel (by the pool or Deck) you got many options.

Facing the ocean, to your right you have OCW and Seaside cafe (5 minute walk) – nice blackened grouper sandwiches.

To your right, 20-25 walk is Flamingos. Local fare. Great curried grouper.

To your left, a 15 minute walk (all on the beach btw), you got Hemingways at the sands – Nice conch fritters, Fish and chips (great fries), popular fish tacos with mango chutney (wife likes them more than me but its very popular).

Another nice option within walking distance but not on the beach is Upstairs bar and grill (5 minutes on the way to Caicos Bakery).

As mentioned lunch at Las Brisas is pretty cool. Try the lobster salad in season.

And Sailing Paradise in Blue Hills – great jerk chicken and more great photo opportunities with their colorful shacks. They will pick you up and take you back to your resort btw. Da Conch Shack of course is another fun option.

Dinner:

You got Seven and the Deck on the premises and a plethora of restaurants within walking distance like Bella Luna, Garam Masala, Vix, and more. Sunday night beach bbq. Here are some of our favorites (we LOVE to eat btw)...

Coco Bistro $$$$ - 2 minute drive. Perhaps the most romantic. Great soups, Tuna Sashimi app, lamb, and more. Pay attention to the fish special. Coconut cream pie for dessert

Coyaba $$$$ - Closest thing to a celebrity chef. Chef Paul Newman won an iron chef competition in Toronto and the dish that won I believe is now on the menu (its a chicken dish). Try the Lobster bisque, lobster Thermidor when in season.

Bay Bistro $$$ - On the beach. Try some of the award winning conch and tuna dishes (apps). Perhaps the best conch chowder on the island (conch shacks is pretty good too btw). Grilled lobster. Pecan crusted conch with tangy orange sauce is very good. Great homemade ice cream (try the coconut), and banana pudding.

Caicos Cafe $$$ - 5 minute walk, right next to Caicos Bakery. This is our personal favorite and we try to eat here at least twice on every visit. Do not get fooled by the review rankings. Great great pastas, some homemade that day, some artisanal handmade with highest quality ingredients. Try the Escargot, or grilled octopus app. Fantastic seafood pasta dishes like the Tagliolini with Pernod flambéed seafood, Lobster fra diavolo (in season), Garganelli with clams and conch. Some of the meat dishes like orecchiette with sausage ragout are popular as well. We've tried most of the menu. Not a bad dish. Try the Affogato for dessert.

Upstairs $$ - 5 minute walk, on the way to Caicos Cafe. Fairly new. Casual, simple grill. Nicely grilled grouper with veggies. Risotto with grilled veggies is popular (you can add grilled chicken), even Pizza is grilled, thin slice try the jerk jalapeno.

Flamingos $$ - 5 minute drive. Make a left coming out of SS, right after club med, turn left to Opus restaurant. continue on the dirt road till the end. Great curried grouper as I mentioned. Nice rum punch.

I'm sure I forgot some important stuff but there you have it folks. Hope it helps. Have fun!!

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

You mentioned twice in your review "lobster when in season" Is there a season for carribean lobster?

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Lobster season is August 1st to March 31 except this season was Sept 1 to April 30.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Excellent review. In case you are questioning any of Ziggy's opinions, I wouldn't. He is someone who enjoys food and all of the above recommendations are spot on. This post should be required reading for all newbies considering a stay at Seven Stars.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Love the Survival Guide Ziggy!

Lots of great info, helpful tips.......and fun read, too!

Awesome job! :)

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Just saved this for our next trip to SS .....love the summation.....

xoxoxo Gigi

maryland
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

CC: Had the grilled octopus app again, fantastic. The flambeed seafood was wonderful. The orecchiette with sausage ragout was delicious as usual. Couldnt write this until I saw Ziggy's post because I had no idea how to spell anything we had, but I knew it was good. I also dont know how to put an accent over the "e" in flambeed.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Ziggy, I am not staying at SS any time soon but this post is in my favorites. Tons of useful info all in one place. Awesome!

Now, should we book Feb. or wait? I'm afraid I'll be star struck...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Well said and very helpful. Seven stars is in an excellent location!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Great breakdown ziggy. Obviously much of this applies to those staying at OCW too.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Seven Stars Survival Guide

Thanks for your reviews and suggestions.. They will certainly be helpful for our first trip to T&C and stay at SS mid to ennd of May.

I have not decided whether to rent a car or not (3 nights at Ganse and 6 at SS)... I do not want to plan from now and I figured, if when there we decide we want a car for a cople of days, we'll take our chances and see if something is avialalbe... Having said this, you mention that Sailing Paradise will pick drive you vack and forth from SS? What dp they charge for this? How far is it from SS.. and from what I've been reading about taxis, would the taxi fare be more $ than the meal? :-)

Also, if you don't mind... any information on kayaking and/or stand up paddle by Mangrove cay with Big Blue or some other outfit? Do you know if they will pick you up or how much would a taxi be from SS there?

Thanks again!