We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash vs credit

Hewitt, New Jersey
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cash vs credit

Hello all, I usually stick to mostly credit cards when I travel, but I've heard many places charge extra for using them...is cash an overall better option for Provo?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
48 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: cash vs credit

If you do have problems with a capital one card, you can call them collect for assistance. I got an

email today with instructions for doing it. The number is in the back of the card. Give your name as "capital one customer".

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: cash vs credit

With Capital One they have a place on the website where you can tell them your travel plans in written form so that you don't even have to call to let them know your travel plans. I do always bring a backup, but the only card I ever use there is my Cap One.

Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: cash vs credit

Provobum we must call the same card companies, my office laughed the last time I was traveling i called my bank and card co's and had to explain each time where Turks and Caicos was! They told me I should be glad as it will not be overcrowded!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: cash vs credit

CFSUN - I have an RBC Infinite Avion and don't get charged any extra fees other than the actual currency conversion rate.

You might want to check with your bank/cc company re: the extra 2.5%.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: cash vs credit

Just got off the phone with Chase bank regarding my Chase Sapphire Preferred. No foreign transaction fees and free currency conversion...which is not necessary for US residents since they use the US Dollar!

Boston...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: cash vs credit

Just checked my Bank of America statement to see charges from our trip and they DO charge the foreign transaction fee, even though it's all American dollars. Booo!!! Just a heads up.

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: cash vs credit

we were down there in june and used our AMEX and visa all week and had no fees.

we were told ahead of time that a lot of places don't take AMEX, but only 1 restaurant out of the 9 we went to didn't take it.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: cash vs credit

Pretty much why my Bank of American never sees the light of day. Not very customer friendly.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: cash vs credit

We now make a habit of notifying our main CC company of our travel plans to avoid problems, especially on travel days. My brother learned the hard way when he didn't do this. Returned to Vancouver from an Alaskan cruise and settled his on-board bill with his CC. Ship billing is posted as Miami, FL. Got a meal at the Vancouver airport and another one when connecting in Toronto, again using his CC By the time he went to pay for the long-term parking at his home airport, the CC company had shutdown his CC, suspecting fraud due to all of the various locations in one day. We use AMEX as our back-up and for our car rental as we have their extended rental insurance plan.

Concord MA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: cash vs credit

I've always used Chase Visa and have never been charged extra fees.