We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gecko Bus?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
356 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Gecko Bus?

We are (*finally!*) planning our long-overdue 4th trip back to TCI, after 5 (LONG) years!! On our previous trips, we'd frequently used the Gecko Bus. Is it still in operation? Also, what happened to Iguana Restaurant?? That was one of our favorites!!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gecko Bus?

The Gecko Bus is no longer in operation. Only options are taxi, which are very expensive, or rent a car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gecko Bus?

Sorry, but both are no longer operating. Fuel costs killed the Gecko years ago, and I'd guess competition probably took out Iguana Restaurant.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 02:09
Providenciales
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gecko Bus?

Actually, Gecko Bus is still in operation, it just moved over to Grand Turk.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gecko Bus?

Good idea for the "boat loads of people."

Boston
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gecko Bus?

I noticed there are lots of gypsy cabs stopping at these bus stations along Grace Bay to pick up the locals. Should I give it a try? Go Steelers beat the Cheatriots.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gecko Bus?

I would not.

Cheatriots? Seriously? Where were you born? Please change your city.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 17:15
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
356 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gecko Bus?

That's a shame the Gecko is gone from Provo. It was such a great (& convenient!) service. The last time we were there, you could just call them (or have the restaurant call them) whenever you wanted them to come pick you up. And the drivers were a hoot!! Somehow, I don't think they'll want to come from Grand Turk to drive us to & fro the restaurants on this trip to Provo!! ;)

I wouldn't trust the gypsy cabs. They were there when we were, years ago, & I remember reading on TA not to use them. I think we'll look into renting from Grace Bay Car Rentals again. Had a great experience w/them before!

By the way, is Hey Jose's gone too??

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
763 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gecko Bus?

toothxt - you mean jitneys?

My suggestion would be that you stick with properly licensed taxi drivers, who should be displaying permit info. on the windshield.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gecko Bus?

Hey Steelers fan!

Seems like you are stuck in what I would call my favourite period on the island! Man! Was if fun back then! Most of your favourites are gone but new ones have opened up and you will love them just as much.

By the way we watched the Steelers beat the Seahawkes in Superbowl XL (along with Janet Jackson's boob) sitting right at the bar in Hey Joses!

MY hubby is a huge steelers fan!

Mags

10. Re: Gecko Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 09:15