We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Third Trip to Provo

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Our Third Trip to Provo

On our third trip, we planned to stay for 2 weeks but couldn't tear ourselves away and stayed for another week.

Some of our favorite activities:

Reef Peepers - what a delightful day. what a delightful crew. I would highly recommend this. We boarded in Turtle Cove, followed the coast of Grace Bay, went snorkeling in several spots, saw beautiful black gurgeon fish I had never seen before, had a wonderful conch salad made fresh by the crew, went to the Iguana Island (only saw 3 iguanas), went sand dollar snorkeling, snorkeling around a ship wreck with many baby fish. It was a most lovely day.

Undersea Explorer - a mini-submarine which takes you through the reefs. We saw many turtles which I loved. Betty is an animated hostess who loves the ocean creatures and is knowledgeable. Although I prefer snorkeling, this gave us another perspective of the reefs.

SNUBA - went out with Jody by Coral Gardens. You are scuba diving without wearing the tank. It was enjoyable to get up close and personal with many underwater fish. Breathing with the snuba mask is a different action from the ease of breathing with a snorkel. I thought I wasn't getting sufficient oxygen and got scared, but Jody reassured me and then I was fine. You suck in the oxygen and learn to pace your breathing.

Snorkeling at Smith's Reef and Coral Gardens - saw eels, a ray, turtles, many parrot fish with their pastel eye shadow, blue tangs, and many others. Schools of fish abounded. The colors of the coral are gorgeous. Lion fish are the most beautiful, balletic fish but are a danger to the reef. Someone once wrote that eating lion fish is your "civic duty" because eliminating them is protective of the reef, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to do that.

Taylor Bay - walking in the water from one end to the other is a meditation. Lunch at Las Brisas nearby is great as you gaze at the improbable green color of the water and at the archipelagos in the water (the first time in my life I'm using the word archipelago!).

Walk along Long Bay - kind of windy the day we went, still beautiful

Some of our favorite places to eat:

We love mornings at Green Bean. So relaxing. Great coffee. Say hi to Damian.

The Deck at Seven Stars for lunch. Gorgeous atmosphere.

Magnolia for sunset with the sesame crusted tuna. Yummm

Nice breakfast at Bay Bistro (Sibonee). We started off at Mango Reef for breakfast but the radio was blaring with advertisements. It was so awful even though the location is so nice. When they began advertising TCI Waste Management Services, we didn't think that enhanced our idea of breakfast, so we just go up and left. Service at Mango Reef was indifferent. Bay Bistro was much nicer.

Some lovely meals at Shark Bite (say hi to Cairny) - especially the jerked chicken with pineapple salad.

Went back to Tiki Hut. Wasn't crazy about it. Probably wouldn't go back both re quality of food and service.

Enjoyed a great meal at Baci. Watching the light change as the daylight declines is soothing.

Have a great trip to Provo.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Really nice recap TB. You did many things that we planned to...but didn't our first trip. Reading your post makes us want to book 2 weeks and be motivated to get out and do stuff this time around.

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Being there for 3 weeks really gave us a chance to balance doing things and just being and hanging around which is also part of vacationing. We did a lot of reading, living, napping, and eating. Everything we did was interspersed with long jags of Doing Nothing.

Have fun! We met really nice Canadians on our trip.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Ahhhhhh, three weeks...my dream come true! Thanks for the trip report! Glad you had a great time.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 04:26
Milford...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Would love to spend more than a week! Sounds like you had a wonderful time...........thanks so much for posting!!!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Wow! I always thought 10 days was great, but 3 weeks would be blissful! Glad to hear you had a nice time. Will your fourth trip = 4 weeks?

6. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 13:10
East Coast
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

Re Tiki Hut.

My SO and I have also been to Provo 3x, just got back. 3 trips over 8 years but have not been in 5, many new shiny things :) But each time we have really enjoyed Tiki Hut. Both lunch and dinner. Always nice service. It's a marina bar joint! Great simple food. Fresh jerk grouper on a bun with peas and rice. Perfect. We've run the gamut over the years. Taxi for dinner. The long gone Gecko Shuttle for dinner. And last week car rental for lunch. Although since it was the first time driving "goofy" on the wrong side of the road it impacted the tike drink intake and half off refills ;)

But my Tiki Hut glasses from the first two trips? Cherished. "Hand" made or at least custom date stamped with some custom Tiki Hut spam. 2002 and 2003 stamped from 2004 and 2007 visits. Every time I make a rum type Carib drink at home it goes in these glasses and the memories just floowwww back. Not just of the Tiki Hut but of Provo in gernal. Nice!

8. Re: Our Third Trip to Provo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:17