We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding car rentals

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding car rentals

My husband and I are going to Providenciales in October for 5 nights and staying at Villa del Mar. We went a few years ago and loved it..this time we are thinking of renting a car for at least 2 days (which we didn't do previously).

Car rentals seem to be about $40-50 per day. We have two options:

1. Get a car at the airport, keep it for 5 days and drop it off at the airport. This will eliminate the need for any taxis.

2. Take a taxi/shuttle from the airport to VDM and rent a car at Grace Bay Rentals for 2 days.

Can anyone tell me how reputable Grace Bay Rentals is? Also, can someone give me an estimate of how much a taxi ride from the airport to Villa Del Mar usually costs (last time we went we paid in advance for a shared shuttle). Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
442 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding car rentals

I've used Grace Bay Car Rentals twice and just booked a 3rd time! They are great and I've never had a problem. I have priced out doing taxi to/from the airport and getting the car for only a few days, but it's so convenient to have a car during the entire stay that it's worth it to spend the extra $$. Have you priced it out for your trip yet? I think a taxi ride to the Grace Bay area from the airport is around $20-$25.

One of the reasons that we like getting the car at the airport is so that we can go to the IGA asap and stock up on snacks/drinks for the week. Also, it's unpredictable when the weather will be nice so I like to always have the option to go to Taylor Bay if the winds are kicking up at Grace Bay, if that makes sense. Having the car allows us to be more spontaneous about when we're going to places outside of the GB area (i.e. Conch Shack, Las Brisas, Taylor Bay, etc.).

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Love Grace Bay Car Rentals. Have used them on all of our previous trips without issues and already booked for return trip in April.

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Can you please post their web address.

Thank you,

P

United States
Level Contributor
442 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding car rentals

It's the first thing that pops up in Google:

http://www.gracebaycarrentals.com/

Providenciales
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Grace Bay Car Rentals is highly recommended.

VDM has a great location and is walking distance to a few restaurants and the main shopping strip at the Saltmills and Regent Village. If you only have the car for 2 days you can use it for exploring outside of Grace Bay.

- Elisha

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
577 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Just a question : I see they deliver the car to the airport... but are their offices actually located at the airport? If one doesn't make a reservation, can they still rent a car from the airport?

Chicago
Level Contributor
828 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Hijacking the thread with a related question.

Bought a package that includes airport transfers, so I figured with included transportation and being tried from traveling and not feeling like venturing off site on day 1 (arrive late afternoon anyway), I would rather just save one day of rental fees and get a car on day 2 and keep it for the rest of the trip.

Are there any car rental places that would drop the car off at the resort or would I need to taxi over to their rental office?

Staying at the Beach House, if that matters.

Thanks!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Bruco,

We always rent from Grace Bay Car Rentals. They'll bring the car to your hotel and also pick it up if you them to.

Chicago
Level Contributor
828 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question regarding car rentals

Thank you maca81, they seem like the company to go with.

As an added bonus they appear to be locally owned/operated. I always prefer that when possible. The big car rental guys get enough of my business in the states.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question regarding car rentals

I don't think I saw anyone mention it but GBCR will have your car waiting at the airport when you arrive if you want (just sign and drive) and you can also drop it off at the airport when you leave with no charge. We use them every time we visit. Never had a problem. And they are great people.