We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of food at grocery store

Anonymous
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Price of food at grocery store

Good morning! We are staying at Seven Stars and I understand there is a grocery store (IGA) across the street. But I also keep hearing how expensive everything is on the island. We have three young children that we are taking with us and are planning on buying snacks for at the beach, bottled water, and some regular staples to have for some lunches and dinners in our room. Can anyone give me some prices for things like a loaf of wheat bread, pasta, bag of chips, bottles of water, etc. I'm just trying to get a handle on how much some of these items will be. Thank you for your help!

richmond, va
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of food at grocery store

We stayed at a Villa in T&C and visited the IGA you are speaking about. Its a very nice grocery store. It is higher priced (than in the US), but mainly for fruit (since most fruit is imported). We found that snacks were decently priced and the same for bread and lunch meat. In the end, it will be cheaper for you to visit the grocery store than buying the food at the resort.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of food at grocery store

Hi Lauren,

If you do a search in the "Providenciales" forum for grocery prices you will find a lot of useful information from past visitors.

When we visit I usually bring quite a few snacks with me such as chips, crackers, nuts, cookies, coffee, sugar and cereal. But being that you are already packing for 3 kids that might not be an option for you.

Have a great visit! You will love it, I'm sure.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of food at grocery store

Here's a video that shows the grocery store you're speaking of. It's a very nice, modern store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bw-GqA1UFQ

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of food at grocery store

Someone said Gracebay IGA is comparable to Whole Foods in products and price.

To me it's nothing you can avoid and you just have to budget for it and go on and enjoy your vacation.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of food at grocery store

We just left and simply orange oj bottle was $9.69 I believe,compared to $4-$5 here.Everything is expensive,just have to look around for must haves and not buy too much stuff...

Colleyville, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of food at grocery store

Buy water in gallon size jugs and refill small beach size bottles that you carried with you empty in your luggage. You will save a ton by using this suggestion.

Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of food at grocery store

we just came back.. last night:( the prices are def high... $6.50 for english muffin, almost 10.00 for oj.. but you buy what you need and enjoy your time there...

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
759 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of food at grocery store

search the forum. You'll also find recent prices (taken from receipts) at

www.facebook.com/turksandcaicosguide

in the NOTES section

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of food at grocery store

The market is nice, and I didn't find the prices to be outrageous. But then again, where I'm from, the cost of living is relatively high I guess. The question is, if you want to eat (I suspect that most people want to eat), and you think the restaurants are expensive (which they are - like Ocean Drive, South Beach, Miami expensive) and you want a less expensive option for sustenance, then the supermarket is that option.

Manitoba Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of food at grocery store

Looking over the cost of groceries that Amy provided I am glad to see that the prices on a lot of things aren't that much different that I pay here in Canada (not that it is a good thing!). Some items were actually cheaper there than I pay here. Orange juice and ice cream were much higher.

Same goes for liquor – pretty much what we pay in Manitoba – which obviously our neighbours to the south get way, way cheaper. So I can see why many think the prices are very high.

At least there won't be a huge sticker shock when we get there which I was anticipating judging by the posts commenting on high grocery prices!