We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowded airport even in October?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crowded airport even in October?

I have read posts stating the busy, crazy airport on a Saturday can have extremely long check-in and security lines. Is this true during the off-season (October)? Is there one line for all passengers to check-in and go through security regardless of class of service?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

Saturday is the #1 departure day at the Provo airport. To my knowledge there is one feeder line to security. We haven't flown out in the month of October though. DR. JIM

2. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2016, 14:00
maryland
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

I kind of thought the original poster was talking about departing tci. If that is the case then there are separate lines for first class check in , but everyone goes through the one security line.

United States
Level Contributor
442 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

We always depart on Saturday and never had a problem. You have to go early and be prepared. We usually arrive 2 hours before departure. We check in, check our bags, then go to Gilley's (air-conditioned restaurant in airport but outside of security) for lunch. About 40-60 minutes before departure, we go through security. Sometimes, the gate can be crowded and it's difficult to find a place to sit. There are 4 shops to browse through and pass the time. They commonly board the plane within 30 minutes of departure.

There used to be a pass that you could buy (maybe $200/person?? Or less) that would allow you to skip the lines for check-in and security. We have always thought of this as an option, but never needed to buy it because the lines aren't THAT long.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

We have been leaving on Saturday for the past 15 -20 years. The crowd has certainly gotten worse in that time. (Arrivals are generally no problem.)

Delta check-in is usually fairly quick, but other airlines do have very long lines. The security line took about 45 minutes last time (line out the front of building and down sidewalk) which is the worst we have seen it. Waiting room is very crowded, although we will probably check out the "upstairs" area this time.

If your departure is in the roughly 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM peak times, I would allow at least 2 hours to be on the safe side.

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

Thanks for all this info since I WILL be departing on a Saturday in October.

What is the "upstairs" area?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
894 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

We just got back from Turks and notice that you can check your bags in and then go get lunch at the on-site restaurant, and then go thru security. You don't want to get there too early as the waiting room AC can be ineffective as they leave the outside doors open which brings in the hot air.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

The upstairs area has seating, some shade, a small bar, you can watch planes land/take off, and best of all no kids under 18 - it's heaven compared to the downstairs area.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
894 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

Good tip, MuyLinda

I didn't know there was that option, guess I'm a slow learner...,

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowded airport even in October?

timjc46 - the stairwell to the upstairs area is over by the airline counters in the departure lounge. When we were there in June, I didn't see any signs on the door, so if I didn't know it was there before we left, I wouldn't have thought to walk up the stairwell. I used to love the people watching downstairs, but the upstairs area is a welcome addition.