We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athabasca, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas

I don't know what everyone is talking about. We were in Provo during New Years and my husband got bit by bugs so badly he needed medical attention upon returning home. I got bit a few times but have never saw such a reaction to anything as he experienced. Take bug spray and use it often is all I can say.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas

I'm not sure who "everyone" is, but yes, use bug spray at dusk and in the evenings. Especially if you are one of the bug magnets like me.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas

some people attract bugs others don't,and some bugs like certian people more than others......why???......... body chemistry i assume, we bring bug spray on every trip to Provo, I have never used it and I have never had a bite. I just assume the Vitamin R (Rum) does it's job and keeps the bugs away.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas

Sand fleas are not the same thing as a sand fly. I assume you mean sand fly, or a no see um.

Oils work well to protect against sand fly bites. Any oil- baby oil, olive oil, lavender oil . . . they can't stick. And sand flys can only jump so high . ..

Reaction depends on the person and the amount of histimine their body generates as a reaction to the bite (essentially, an allergy)

They love me, and I have a pretty bad reaction, but can keep them at bay with sprays and oils. Also, if you have a really bad reaction, you have to use benedryl or something comparable, as the only way to address the histimine is from the inside out . . .

Edited: 19 January 2013, 23:20
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas

It's funny how the no see ums affect people differently. Was in Provo the 2nd week in January. My husband and I had a few bites, but that was it. I was prepared and brought bug spray, but i didn't use it once. It was pretty breezy every day when we were there, so i'm guessing that helped keep the bugs away.

Athabasca, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas

Thanks for the valuable information. It will serve my husband well next time we go beach vacation.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas

Oh those little devils can bite! The worst I ever had was in St. Thomas V.I., I was not so knowledgeable then about the effect they can have on you. I learned my lesson and never leave my Off at home...

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas

I'm all set. Leaving in a few days. Have my bug spray, long sleeves, leggings for dinner. Bites on me turn to purple welts. My husband gets nothing. We shall see. I've been to Bahamas, Aruba, St. Kitts and got nothing.

8. Re: Sand Fleas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:15