We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Just got back from our first trip to Providenciales from July 1-July 7. It was, to say the least, amazing. Weather in July was probably 80-90 degrees all week. There were scattered rain showers, only lasting 20 minutes or less each time- and was a nice break from the heat.

We stayed at the Aquamarine beach house- and highly recommend it! It has a fully equipped kitchen, which helped us save money since we were able to eat in quite a bit. We only ate out 5 times. The villas are right on the beach, so you are always steps away from the beach, unlike staying at a high rise hotel. This stretch of beach has very little traffic, so you have your own paradise.

***Rental Car- We went back and forth about renting a car since we were nervous about driving on the left side of the road, but really glad we did it!! We rented a car for only one day from Scooter Bob, in Turtle Cove. They can do free pick/up drops up for you to get your rental car. Cost $49 + $15 for collision insurance. We visited Sapodilla Bay and Chalk Sound- the water and view there were phenomenal, and is something that should NOT be missed on a trip to Providenciales. I thought nothing could beat Grace Bay, but Sapodilla Bay did!

***Tours- We did the Caicos Dream Tour- it was a good tour. We picked this particular one because you go diving for conchs and get to keep one. =) You also visit Iguana Island, which is neat. The snorkeling was OK- nothing mind blowing. We did get to see JoJo, the island dolphin, and his family. We originally wanted to do SNUBA, but they were booked our entire trip. So if you want to do this tour, definitely book in advance! I wouldn't wait to book until you arrive.

***Restaurants: It is helpful to use the "Providenciales Dining Guide" magazine. Tßhere were several copies at our place, but you can also get it for free at the airport near the baggage claim. It contains menus/costs for all the restaurants in Providenciales so you won't be shocked by the prices when you arrive at the restaurant.

-SOMEWHERE CAFE- this is a 10 minute walk from where we stayed. Great fish tacos! We spent ~ $37 on two entrees (no drinks ordered).

-LAS BRISAS- we went there when visiting Chalk Sound. We ate the fish burger and grilled conch burger- spent ~ $30. It has an amazing view over Chalk Sound.

-COCO BISTRO- this place is rated #1 on trip advisor. TIP: If you want to go here, make your reservations in advance. We were unable to go here because it was booked on the 2 days that we could have gone.

-BAY BISTRO- we went here instead for our "fancy dinner out" since we couldn't go to Coco Bistro. Entrees were typical of most restaurants here $35-40 per entree. Food was good, but I really wish we could have tried Coco Bistro. It was a nice beachfront restaurant.

-CAICOS BAKERY- we went here also based on tripadvisor reviews. Great prices- $3 or less on everything in the store. Delicious ham/cheese croissants, chocolate eclairs. I would recommend going when this place opens, because both times we went (around 11am), the apple pies and fruit tarts were all out.

***Shopping-

The one shop I would recommend is Anna's Art Gallery at Salt Mills. Full of great, affordable artwork and unique souvenirs that I didn't see in any of the other "typical" souvenir stores.

***Groceries

-We packed a suitcase of food (bread, bagels, peanut butter, cup-o-noodle, pasta-roni, lots of snacks, pop tarts, soy milk, cereal). We did the rest of our grocery shopping at the IGA grocery store when we arrived and bought eggs, fresh meats, fruit. I would say that snacks/dry products are about 30% more expensive on the island, so it's best to pack that stuff with you. Fruits, on the other hand were about 100% more expensive. $1.50 for an apple, as an example. We didn't pack any fruit with us, because I don't think it is allowed. We bought chicken and hamburger burgers at the IGA- the price for these were fair. ($6 for 4 hamburger patties).

-Things I wish I packed (as we had a fully equipped kitchen at our place): foil, cooking oil, some spices for marinating the fish and the chicken - we had to buy those things at the IGA.

Overall, these are the best beaches/bays that I have ever visited!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Thanks for your report. Sounds like you had a great time!

Aquamarine Beach House is in a great location.....close to both reefs for snorkeling.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Thanks for the report.

There was an article in the NYT recently about Trip Advisor and all the usual nonsense about fake reviews, and the author gave some tips on how to use TA except he forgot all the important stuff (or not aware). Use the forum. A few minutes a day read the forum, ask questions. It's more valuable than the reviews. You'll read about the places you need to make rezzies, and you'll read about the must places that aren't ranked high on TA.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Coco Bistro is the best restaurant on the island, so now you'll have to go back!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Sounds like you had a great time!

Thanks for posting all the useful information....very helpful for first-timers!

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

Your post sure helped me! We too are staying at the Aquamarine Beach House. i have a suitcase already packed (for May) with a lot of the items you mentioned and will pick up some that i hadn't thought of. My question to you is did you find Turtle Cove, the grocery store and the snorkeling to be within a decent time of walking? We may rent a car for a couple days to see the rest of the island but felt we could walk to many places easily. Did you snorkel in front of Aquamarine and find it comparable to Smiths Reef and Bight reef? We always buy a piece of local art when we travel and appreciate your heads up on Anna's. Anything else you can offer us specifically on Aquamarine would be of great help. thanks!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

turtle Cove and snorkeling walking yes

supermarket walking no

7. Re: July Trip Summary- a dream vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:18