We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

I've been to Grand Cayman several times, but never to Turks and Caicos. I appreciate any info on how the two compare.

Thanks!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

I have never been to GC but I could tell you what is like here.

TCI is a watersports island. Lots to do in the water. Scuba, snuba, snorkeling, parasailing, renting skiffs, kiting, waterskiing, tubing, semi sub, sea doos just to name a few. Exploring other beaches also.

Beach is wonderful and long. Light sand, turquoise waters, usually warm (rarely drops below 75 degrees in the winter). Fairly quiet on the beach. No sea doos allowed on the hotel side of the island.

Most places are hotel/condos. Nothing is really a highrise. No having to fight for chairs on the beach in the morning.

Great dining on island. No U.S style fast food.

Not a party island. Restaurants kitchens are usually closed by 10:00. No real dancing to go to.

hope that helps

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

I have been to both, Caymen serveral times

like Turks much better ( only one time- but headed back in August)

i think the beaches are way better, which is why i am headed back to Turks this year

feel free to ask me any questions

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

Have been to and really liked Grand Cayman. We stay on the Northside in GC which is very quiet. We thought to try Turks and Caicos for the quiet. We love to snorkel and heard that T&C will be great for that. In GC if you want to go to "town" from the Northside you need to plan around the cruise ship schedule otherwise it is mobbed. Just like the idea of peace, quiet and the beautiful beaches.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

Caymans has much more to do, has cruise ships, shopping, a little more nightlife, Stingray City.

The beaches of TCI blow them away, on paper they sound the same, but TCI has much better beaches.

TCI is much more quiet too, and personally I like the restaurants better too.

savannah
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

I have been to TCI 5 times (most recently May 2012) and Grand Cayman twice, and headed back there this spring. They have similar topography - flat dry island. I think that Grace Bay Beach is similar to Seven Mile Beach (I know there are those who will disagree). We have taken up scuba diving the last 4 years and find that GC is better/more flexible for diving (better being shore diving along with boat dives).

Both destinations are relatively easy to get to. Driving is easy on both. Both have nice restaurants. Turks takes the US dollar, so that is a little nicer.

I'm not a fan of the cruise ships, so we just stay away from Georgetown during those times.

Honestly, it's very hard to pick one is better than the other.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

Been to both several times and honestly love both.

We give Grace Bay a slight edge for its beautiful beach, but 7 Mile Beach is no slouch, either. We just like the sand at Grace Bay better--very soft and a beautiful white. Most Grace Bay condo resorts are more full service with beach bars, restaurants, spas, etc..... while GC's condo resorts are usually just a nice condo and a pool. GC has more hotels, however, if that is your travel style.

Snorkeling is fairly equal on both islands. GC has 'easier to get to' scuba dive sites and more variety as far as wrecks go, but our son, who loves to dive thinks T&C diving is slightly better and more natural.

We give GC a slight edge on restaurants, but both islands have several great restaurants to choose from. GC also gets the edge on shopping if that is important to you. T&C is a little quieter than GC, but you can find quiet spots on either island.

Bottom line is, you cannot go wrong with either choice--they are truly our 2 favorite vacation spots.

7. Re: Turks and Caicos vs.Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:18