We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild dogs!?!

Chicago
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Wild dogs!?!

Has anyone had personal experiences with wild dog problems / attacks on Provo? Any areas to stay away from? Safety tips? I read some reports that have me concerned but I want to know whether this has been over-hyped and whether I'm in any real danger. Thank you for any guidance on this!!

Calgary
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: Wild dogs!?!

Hi blamona, the incident occurred on Provo. It involved a pack of at least 15-20 dogs. I can appreciate the good work that the SPCA and potcake place must do. I am only sharing this story as I felt in danger and was very thankful for the workers who understood the situation and how to handle it. I have never seen packs like this in populated or "touristy" like areas but where this occured was just past bristol hill area and before long beach. There are not a lot of folks around or houses for that matter. I will say the island is awesome and I met a lot of great people and never felt any threat from locals. It was hopefully an isolated incident but I will be more prepared in the future as I do intend on visiting again. Thx

Oak Lawn, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Wild dogs!?!

Hi, We rented a villa in the chalk sound area. My husband and i took a walk down the road one afternoon and were attacked by 3 large dogs. two were the size of great danes. These dogs came out of nowhere and were very aggressive. I new they were capable of biting. I ran to a close house and pounded on the door to be let in.

Even though i am a dog lover i was very for my safety. No one was home at the house so we tried to get back thinking they had left. They didtn, they were waiting for us. My husband picked up an stick and to this day I dont know how we got back safely. We also had an encounter with 4 dogs walking to a beach on grace bay. They were smaller challenged us, but because there were 6 of us at the time left us alone. This upset me for the rest of the trip because i was unable to walk anywhere and felt i couldnt walk anywhere.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
617 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Wild dogs!?!

I read this thread last year when it started before we had booked our trip and it almost scared me away from going. I was bit by a German Shepard as a child and didn't like the idea if strays wandering around. We were in Provo a year ago and stayed in POC. We walked everywhere and only encountered a pack of dogs chasing a van on the street once. We stayed on the sidewalk by Bella Luna and let them chase the van and they didn't bother with us even when they turned around because they couldn't out run the van. We also saw 2 potcakes on the beach who were extremely friendly. They became friends with a couple on the beach and sat with them on the sand under their beach chairs. There was also dog when we approached the parking lot of the Sands that sounded pretty scary BUT we were never approached by it and never saw it just heard it barking. I'm sure some of these strays are not nice as we have read some stories here. Potcake place and TSPCA is trying to get these animals spayed and neutered in hopes of decreasing the stray population. I wouldn't miss an opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful places in the world because there happens to be a few stray dogs roaming the island though. Every caribbean island seems to have an abundance of strays roaming around. I saw more strays in Aruba than I did in Provo.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Wild dogs!?!

Most of the houses along Chalk Sound have dogs. The dogs will run up to the driveway head and bark ferociously. They will go out into the road. That's all they do. Walk that road all the time. They are just doing their job.

As for the large great dane sized dogs--one black brindle, one very large brown and one black & white pit bull?

Austin, Arkansas
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Wild dogs!?!

We were there last month and a few came up to us at Chalk Sound over at Picturesque Point Rd. My 5 yr old actually pet one of them (not advisable...our mistake)....but this small pack seemed rather tame and just wanted some food...which we didn't have. They never were truly aggressive but followed us back to the car which made the kids nervous.

66. Re: Wild dogs!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:17