We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Austin
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

So less than 30 days ago, sometime just after the first of the year, I was surfing the AA and US Airways websites. Checking on prices for June 2013. Kept showing up in the $700s/pp. Knew not to wait too long, but needed to wait for the old credit card cycle to cycle. Went to buy tix today and the price is teetering at $1000/pp!!! Any ideas as to what happened? and am I totally screwed?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Well you did the right procedure by going to the websites of the airlines. Do not rely on aggregator sites like Kayak, etc. The best day(#1) to book is on Tuesdays. Don't get mad but I contacted AA on the 2nd Tuesday of January late afternoon for low rate to Provo from Detroit. Was running $575. I call it a fluke, but snagged our 5 r/t tickets on a one stopper(shorty) 7 hrs for $391 p.p. and I said book it. Oh, I also had 5 AA air vouchers from last August Provo trip for $200 each. I got these by having my family being delayed by 3 hours at Miami Airport. . Case in point, when you have a mechanical problem with a plane, you have hangers to fix it in:"NOT ON THE TARMAC" ! I demanded(wanted $2000 for our time's worth, I start high) air credit vouchers for our inconvenience when I returned from our trip. So I ended up paying just $191 each for our upcoming mid-August two weeker to Provo for my family of 5. So keep checking. Be firm and persistent. DR. JIM

Edited: 01 February 2013, 23:49
Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Keep checking both sites, you have some time. It can fluctuate 100.00/200.00 pp on any given day. Don't give up!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Wow! Glad we booked at the end of Dec. for our June trip - got ours for $500pp which was the best price we have seen in years from here!

Keep checking - hopefully it will go back down for you!

Edited: 02 February 2013, 00:18
despo2007
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Did you clear your cache in your browser before checking prices again? These sites plant cookies to raise prices each time you check

Austin
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Roundtrip from Texas is notoriously high to anywhere in the Caribbean, so no, I'm not mad that you snagged great ticket prices!! Glad to hear it. And so thanks for the reminder to clear the cookies and I'll keep trying :)

Avon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Keep checking. My family was teasing me a few months back when I was checking (almost daily) airfare prices. They were running over $800 every day EXCEPT for one day when the prices dropped to $580? You bet I booked them that day! Next day prices jumped back up to over $700 and my family stopped teasing me for being obsessive... Good luck!

Indianoplace
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Hey, Seashellmom!

We always check late Mondays and all day Tuesdays....don't know why, but it's cheaper here then.

And despo2007 is right. Clear, clear, clear. I never thought about it, until somebody posted this awhile back, but started clearing my stuff and it clears the playing field. Hey, I am not computer savey, I can seriously grow stuff, but technology is not my forte! And it's not over 'til it's over! Keep checking!

Happy Travels!

Sunny

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

I look at airfare almost daily. I booked on a Saturday in early November for travel in late June at $438 per person from Newark. The same flights are now $894, and we're still months away.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Do y'all find that all the airlines have these drastic variations or do some change more often than others? We are rather limited here. We used to always use AA but switched to US Air last summer and really enjoyed them much more than AA. I'll take either one for this trip if I can get the price back to where it was 30-45 days ago. As of today, they were running within $25 of each other, both close to $1000/pp for June. I have no problem with checking both airlines every day, but since I saw the price comparatively lower in Nov and Dec and then to find such a price jump today, I'm thinking the high numbers are here to stay.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holy Flying Airplane, Batman!

Do some reading and I've read Tuesday is a good day, don't use a Mac, and search on off hours.

Get informed:

…wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870406260457…

I book with points, it's around Dante's 7th level....but I've learned some tricks for Chistmas/NewYrs bookings. Not telling! :)--