We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metal detector

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
metal detector

had this question ask to me and was stumped!!

Are detectors allowed in the TCI?

Any rules for public beaches or private gardens etc??

thanks!!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: metal detector

Private gardens NO! The Queen of England decrees the beautiful sandy shores of T& C to be public. As for metal detectors I do not know. But I know many will feel it's an intrusion on their space if you get too close. Sea shell hunting/picking is okay. DR. JIM

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: metal detector

Am confused...

so if the guy wants to use it in his own garden, thats a NO???

I have seen a guy on Grace bay often with a detector but dont know who he is?

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,047 Reviews
Providenciales
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: metal detector

Husky, I think what the previous poster meant is you can't go into someone else's garden and start sweeping around. If it's your own yard (and you own it) that's a different story.

As far as the beaches go it looks like that's an area open to anyone with a detector

The fellow you've seen on the beach is actually looking for other peoples lost jewelry....here's his website:

http://www.ilostmyjewelry.com/contact.html

I don't know the rules about bringing a detector into the country however.....

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: metal detector

I responded to your hypothetical questions. Does this guy own most of the private gardens on TCI. The answer is No. I only differentiated between public beaches and private gardens in the TCI. I surmise I was nebulous in my reponse. DR. JIM

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: metal detector

You must get goverment permission to use a metal detector on the beach. The guy you always see around has a permit and also must give all money he finds to the gov and anything else he puts it on a website to find its owner.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: metal detector

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere no treasure hunting in T&C. I guess the use of a metal detector would fall into that category.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: metal detector

Thanks all!!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: metal detector

Like so many unenforced laws in the TCI. It is illegal to remove anything from our National Parks, which includes all of Grace Bay. This includes sea shells. Technically this also includes picking up other peoples trash! (It is against the law to sunbathe in the nude... anybody ever been arrested for that?) We ordered our family a metal detector one Christmas, imported with no restrictions and proceeded to spend many enjoyable hours scanning our own property and public beaches in a fruitless search of treasures. Well not entirely fruitless, found 2 Bic pens, aluminium foil bits, multiple screws/nails/beer caps & tabs and a Canadian penny. That guy on the beach provides an invaluable service and has many fabulous stories to tell of successfully reuniting people with lost heirlooms and wedding rings. It takes hours of patience, bending over and digging and the knowledge of tides/winds to know where to look. It would be legal to do on beaches outside the National Park system... I think. If not, please disregard this post!

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,047 Reviews
Providenciales
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: metal detector

The guy you see with one is Santa Clause. He spends all his leisure time on Provo.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: metal detector

yes, i too imported one once with no issues 9it was for work - finding elec cables) but was unsure about leisure use.

where would one get a permit to use one??