We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Warning:

Our group of 8 is staying at Villa Avalon, at Providenciales, Turks & Caicos (Feb 2-9, 2013). The villa is spacious and comfortable, but a new villa is under construction next door, about 25 feet away from Villa Avalon. The construction noise is unbearable, deafening, and ever-present all day (even on Sunday). Power saws, jackhammers, hammers; you get the idea. It looks like it will be going on at least another year, maybe longer. You can forget about a quiet lunch or an afternoon nap; not going to happen.

You would think the owner and rental agents would disclose this "minor problem", but this was not the case.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!! Be advised that Villa Avalon has at least one thing in common with midtown Manhattan: ear-splitting, bone-jarring noise. I strongly recommend that you investigate this situation before committing to a rental agreement for this property anytime in 2013 and maybe 2014.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Dear David, I am deeply upset to hear your experience. We had seen that construction when we were in TCI for Xmas but it was not active. Before I booked my Easter vacation, I asked if that construction would be a problem and was told no. We are renting Coriander on the other side of Avalon.

Who are you renting from? Do you have any recourse? Have you spoke with them? What did they say?

This happened to us one year in St. Martin - they were putting a roof on nexxt door. It was horrendous.

Please keep us posted. And thank you for letting us know. I will call TCVillas with whom we are renting to double check about our own rental. I hope you can salvage something wonderful from your time there.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

This is truly outrageous. I too have considered renting a property nearby this spring and am now quite concerned -- is the noise simply relegated to the immediate next door properties or is it audible hundreds of yards down the beach? Also, is there heavy machinery present (i.e. back-hoes, dump trucks, front-end loaders, etc.)?

Edited: 04 February 2013, 19:26
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

The noise seems to be largely directed toward Villa Avalon. Mainly power tools & hammers; no backhoes...yet!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Coriander should be OK. You will be shielded from the noise to a large extent.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Are you renting from TCVillas? Have they been helpful to your plight? Do let us know how you fare.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

We are renting through Wimco, and they have been notified. I am really not sure who actually has the listing.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

We are renting through Wimco, and they have been notified. I am really not sure who actually has the listing.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Thank you, David. I hope you can figure out how to make lemonade out of lemons (add a little rum?).

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

TC Villas here... One of our valued repeat guests brought this thread to our attention - we were saddened to learn of this disruption!! Although the construction is not ours, and the guest staying in Avalon is not ours, we do have a good deal of influence on island and were able to have the construction COMPLETELY STOPPED until later this summer. We hope the remainder of David's trip is as relaxing, quiet, and spectacular :-)

Indianoplace
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Avalon, Turks & Caicos

Wow,

Nice response, TCVillas!

Sunny