We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Seven Stars

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Seven Stars

Back from a wonderful trip - posted a full Seven Stars report under the hotel section. This is my restaurant and general report.....

Caicos Cafe:

2 meals here. gnocchi with mushroom ragout, grouper with snow peas and potato gratin, orchietta with sausage - all excellent - especially the grouper

2nd time : shrmp and crab cake - very disappointing - could have been a frozen Costco thing , grouper again for the entrees - again excellent.

Always enjoy this restaurant and since its such an easy commute from Seven Stars we began and ended here. Food was very good but service was a tad off - can't put my finger on it . Nothing that would prevent me from going back - but service at a few other places - such as Bay Bistro, Coco Bistro and Le Bouchon come to mind as having a bit more sparkle

Upstairs: big disappointment. Servers were no where to be found and the place was empty except for one large table. Had to go and find someone to take a drink order, then it took about 20 minutes for that to arrive, again had to find someone to take our order , and then it took 45 minutes before the pizza came out. And then guess what - we had to go find someone to get our check. A few others tables filled in and everyone was in the same boat - looking around for someone to help them. No one apologized or offered any explanation for the non service. They usually get a good review so we were very surprised at such bad service.

Lupo: great little italian place not on the radar. Its is in Regent Village across from Garam Masala. Its a soft opening,as they are just getting under way and don't even have their sign yet. Small menu but excellent food - the pasta ( handmade on site) and the pizza were of similiar qulaity to what I had in Italy. We went twice we liked it so much -

the quality of the food was impressive -

cured meat platter, arrancini, nonna's meatballs, pappardelle bolognese, margherita pizza

Definetly a nice addition to the restaurant mix. The owner, Mark, is very congenial.

LeBouchon: great food and service. bread from Caicos bakery ( which I;ll mention again later), steak au poivre with frites and sauteed yellow tail with scalloped potatoes.

Bay Bistro: conch fritters, vegetable spring rolls, curried grouper over crispy noodles. Outstanding - food and service Enjoyed walking back along the beach

Coco Bistro: arugala sald with candied walnuts, grilled lobster - both of us ordered the lobster and could have easily split one dish - 2 big tails.

Food and service, top shelf. The greetiing at the host stand was a little non existant - I let it pass me by but then I heard 2 other people at the hotel who had been there on a previous night mention the same thing.- too bad, as the setting is so special.

Caicos Bakery: what a gem of a place - Tatiana the owner is a sweetheart and what a baker ! Almond croissants are heavenly - as are the ham and cheese croisaants and her little pizzas - which made for a great light lunch on several days that didn't break the bank.

Pattys Place: small Jamaican patty place - another great alternative for a cheap fast lunch so you can get back to the beach . Bakery and Pattys located across from Seven Stars

All in all, the restaurant scene continues to excel, and the new additions were all impressive

Spoke with the artist Alex Skye at Making Waves gallery in Regent Village - she has beautiful painintg by the way, worth a look - she was telling us about the proposed Dolphinarium and the efforts to stop it. She is active in this effort and asked that any tourist who is not in favor of this to write a letter to the ediitor at tcweeklynews@gmail.com. Her email is a.s.skye@gmail.com

for more background on what is proposed.

My husband went bonefishing with Arthur Deen and had a good trip,

Airport: arrived at 11:55am on a Saturday and we were through customs in 5 minutes and waited about 10 minutes for the bags - on our way in short order.

Departed on Sunday - check in was easy at 12:30pm security line out the door but went quickly. Lounge was a zoo, to the point of it being claustrophobic. Outdoor lounge is the way to go. Sure hope they upgrade this area soon - it really is a buzz kill - between the crowding, no good food options and not being able to hear the announcements. The place was more tolerable years ago when it was a shack and the baggage cart consisted of a wooden cart, pulled by one guy with a long rope !

All in all, another great trip to a slice of heaven. The turquoise water gets into your soul!

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Thanks for sharing. We'll definitely check out the new italian place when we are there next week :-)

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Wished now that we would have given Lupo a try.

Agree that Le Bouchon is very good.

It's nice to see new restaurants making great efforts to win a following.

It's too bad about Coco Bistro greeting but I bet the food was good.

Also we just love Bay Bistro and the entire "package" there. Food, beach front, and great service.

Thanks for the report!

Mike

Edited: 12 February 2013, 00:21
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Seven Stars

My kind of trip report, even with the Caicos Café hiccups. Personally I prefer Costco shrimp over Trader joe's but that's another discussion. For some reason we always have amazing service there ;)

Lupo - Menu right up my alley. Made reservations there already. Any of the dishes you had stood out? Sometimes Arancinis can be too bland (too much rice)

Upstairs - I was one of the first ones to back this one but I must say I'm a little concerned about it lately.

Thanks for taking the time to write this

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Great trip report! There are so many good restaurants on Provo now it's hard to decide where to eat.

Hard to figure what's going on at Upstairs. It's so hard to make it in the restaurant business it just makes you wonder...where is the owner/operator? Does he not care? Lost interest? Hopefully he'll become aware of the negative trip reports and get it together because it sounded like the food was good.

Thanks again for posting!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Thanks for a great trip report!

I can't wait to try Lupo and Le Bouchon on our next visit......sounds like they'll both be great dining options to enjoy!

Ziggy, I'm starting to question Upstairs also. We had a couple of great dinners there last October, but shortly after that one of the owners left ( can't remember his name/ from Montreal)......wonder if that's the reason Upstairs seems to be going downstairs!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Well, its a little confusing. Mike the "first former Islander who never played a game for the Islanders" owner has left but he was really never there. Steve was there and I believe is still the owner, I think. He seamed like he knew what he was doing, working for bagatelle before that. So not exactly sure whats going on now

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Thank you for the trip report, your review has me thinking twice about trying Upstairs on our next visit. Looking to do a bonefishing trip (weather wouldn't allow last trip), would you mind if I pm'd you to get a little more detail on the trip with Arthur?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Seven Stars

Next time, pop for the VIP service at the airport. They will meet you at arrival, see you through customs and baggage check and deliver you to small private waiting room with wine, snacks and wifi. Expensive but worth it. It is cheaper if you are traveling with friends. For our group of 3 couples it worked out to $150 per couple. I think it would be $300 for one couple. Worth looking into because the airport is a mess. The only problem on a wonderful island!

boston
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Seven Stars

tcimike - you are right aboutt Bay Bistro - it is the whole package - every aspect just works.

Ziggy - we loved everything we had - honestly nothing negative to say about the food -

It is very authentic in terms of quality over quantity and style. For instance the Bolognese was heavenly - excellent ratio of meat to tomato - I have a menu if you want a copy - or they may be on line by this point

As far as Upstairs - my guess would be absence of managment - no one seemed in charge and no one apologized for what was going on

GSDrulez: feel free to PM and I will connect you with my husband for fishing info

10. Re: Back from Seven Stars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:15