We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Dos at Beaches

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Must Dos at Beaches

We are headed to Beaches for the first time the first week in June. First time in T&C and first time to any Beaches property. In fact it will be our kids (7 & 9) and my MIL first time to the beach! We are all very excited! Most places we have stayed at before have had their own message boards so I can read up on everything to get a feel for the resort before we arrive. I'm surprised Sandals and Beaches doesnt have anything like that. So I'm asking you guys what are your must dos? We are mainly looking forward to lots ad lounging on the beach and playing with the kids at the waterpark but really want to take advantage of all of the amazing things offered at Beaches!

My main question is the beach. The pictures look amazing! We have traveled to Negril Jamaica several times and are spoiled to the beach! What we love most is the pure white sand as far as you can walk out (not rocks it seaweed) and practically no waves. Just calm clear water.

I have looked at all of the restaurants and they all look great! We will only be there for 5 days so no time to eat at all of them so what would be your recommendations? We like a fun and unique dining experience.

What is the snorkeling that is included like? Do they take you on a boat out to the reef or is it just free equipment rental and you are on your own along the beach? We love to snorkel and are not opposed to booking a separate trip to guarantee great snorkeling.

Also since this is our first time to T&C could someone tell me about the process at the airport? I'm assuming it is really small so it should be fairly easy but with kids in tow I want to be prepared.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

If you loved Negril beaches, then you will absolutely love Grace Bay. The water is even better and no vendors bugging you. (we've stayed at a few properties in Negril). You can walk for miles either way you turn from the property.

For fun and unique, many people like the Japanese hibachi (Kimonos) which is the only reservation restaurant. As soon as you get your room #, get you reservation. Barefoot by the Sea is nice, but we've experienced slow service. Both adult only, Sapodilla's and Le Petit Chateau, are wonderful and always have had great meals. The beach BBQ on Friday might be fun for the kids as there is a show. Not thrilled with the food but you could always go to another venue for additional food. Both places (Bella Napoli and Dino's) that have pizza are pretty good. Kids like Bobby D's but we've only gotten ice cream there. There is a swim up bar just for the kids at Bobby D's as well.

There is great snorkeling a short walk down the beach (just borrow equipment at the water sports shack) We haven't done the organized boat snorkeling as we usually dive but see lots of people each day on the snorkel boats.

The night before departure Beaches will give you a copy of the preliminary bill (some try to pay the day before as check-outs can be busy) as well as when the bags need to be outside the door and when you need to be at the departure area (~3 hours). If it is a Saturday, it will probably be very busy. We were there in October and the line was out the door and wrapped again. Some people opt for the VIP Flyers Club to fast track through. It is a small airport so it just takes time to get through the lines.

Enjoy!

Edited: 28 February 2013, 17:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

Face the ocean at beaches, walk left (VERY short distance) until you get to Coral Gardens resort. The shallow reef (White House Reef) is pretty much directly in front of Coral Gardens. If your kids do not already snorkel this is one of the best places to teach them. The coral heads begin in quite shallow water and if you get lucky you may even see a turtle or a ray. We have seen turtles (mostly in the turtle grass near the reef), rays, moray eels, barracuda and various other fish.

You can walk the beach for miles in either direction.

West Newbury, Ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

Nikko 4me did great job detailing resort. Would just like to add that there are camps for the different age groups as well as the water park so a child should be able to be well occupied. Excursion to shell island/iguana island is family fun (extra money).

Like the same restaurants as Nikko. Le petit chateau, sapodillas, kimonos and barefoot by the sea. Bella Napoli has great pizza,

Go down to the sea and turn left. U will see everyone walking w snorkel masks. Follow them and you will have found a nice spot to snorkel.

Airport is small. Get back there early to get a seat in gate (? Ha!) area...

Hope this helps. Been there 10 times now. My favorite place on earth

Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

Great! What about arrivals? I'm assuming Beaches has a lounge at the airport to wait on the bus to the resort.

We have been working with them in the pool on snorkeling.

I knew about the swim up bar for kids. My 6 year old talks non stop about eating ice cream in the pool! Lol!

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

Agreed - check out some gear from the dive shack, head to the water and turn left - go down the beach about 300 yards to the reef in front of Coral Gardens.

From the shore, you can wade right in and see some of the most amazing sea life and some StingRays once in a while. JoJo the Dolphin, also frequents that area of the Bay too. He is legendary down there.

But if you head down early in the morning....say - 9am, you might see one of the large Sea Turtles swimming through.

They are very curious and will swim right up to you at times! I have spent countless hours on that reef system - love it there!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

There is a train that goes around the Beaches resort complete with railroad crossing signs. Bobby D's is next to the water slides and has children's scheduled activities in one of the rooms. I enjoyed having several hot fudge sundaes with my 3 young daughters last August @ the swim up seating bar with the waterfall just feet from you. We visited Beaches Resorts 3 different days . There are 4 water slides and a surf machine in the water park area. We stay @ Coral Gardens and I have have several sea turtle friends in the reef area. Wish I could see(homonym) sea turtles every day. They have better flippers than us. It is always funny watching humans with them flipper things on around Coral Gardens. Graceful, we are not. DR. JIM

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

@NegrilJunkie....Nikko did a great job detailing the resort. We've been to to Sandals Negril twice and Grace bay is stunning. You'll love it.

There isn't an arrival lounge at the airport for Beaches....after you retrieve your luggage and procedd outside there is a Beaches stand basically there where you will see Beaches employees taking guests names and putting them on vans to the resort. After boarding your van you'll be at the resort within 15 minutes. Have fun. See you there in June! We arrive mid June.

Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

We can't wait! I will be there photographing a wedding but the bride and grooms daughter and our daughter are friends so they invited the kids too! The thing we love most about Negril other than the warm and friendly people is the beach! I love the calm water and that super soft sand!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

I can't believe nobody mentioned Arizona's as one of their favorite restaurants on property. It's terrific at lunch and very good at dinner too. Schooners is also a nice experience at breakfast. Loved it!!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
977 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Dos at Beaches

Schooners is our favorite a la carte breakfast...chocolate chip pancakes are delicious!!