We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

Now the question is should I bring my bulky flippers? Snorkel and mask of course will come with me. If I leave the bulky flippers at home, how much and where exactly should I get them from? For reference, I will be at La Vista Azul and also Coral Gardens.

Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

I think Coral Gardens rents them. just bring your own. The thought of wearing someone else's. YUC!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

I understand the YUC factor for the snorkel but flippers... Come on man! The salt water will cleanse away the germs... Right? I am only really wanting to do a carry-on... good or bad idea for nights... don't know yet!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

We bring our own flippers all the time. Even though they are shorties it's still a lot of volume in the luggage and so it's something I waffle about, every trip. The face mask, and snorkel itself, we wouldn't consider using anyone else's, now that we own our own. Before that, no big deal to rent, but once you've got your own ....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

So I have a story! Back in the 80's We went to Aruba, Yes Aruba. And went on a snorkeling tour with an outfitter. Did not at the time own our own snorkel gear and had to use the one's provided. the captain said oh wait give me your goggles let me clean them! So I did.... He spit twice in them to clean them. Needless to say........ we have our own now. as far as flippers.. still, I will not stick my feet in anything someone else walked in or swam in. go for it Husker!

We have a duffle bag exclusively for our snorkel gear and suntan lotion and other odds and ends so we just check it.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

"We have a duffle bag exclusively for our snorkel gear and suntan lotion and other odds and ends so we just check it."

This sentence makes me ask the obvious: What's a packing list for an island like for 5 nights? For reference, I would like to do just one carry-on and a personal backpack... no checked baggage please. It will just be myself and my interests are watersports, beach time, and wearing hawaiian shirts at dinner!

Thanks for your tips!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

"He spit twice in them to clean them". What's wrong with that ;) how is it different than a mom cleaning a childs face. My mom used to do tht and I now require DW to do the same.

And if you go to someone's house and offered slippers, you wouldn't put them on because someone already wore them?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

I have my own too.....that's just the way I roll....or float.

Mike

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

i have short fins. my snorkel gear (fins, goggles, snorkel, water shoes) all fit in my mesh bag in my carryon. so far i have 6 tops, 1 capri, 1 short, 2 dresses, 4 bathing suits, 2 coverups, toiletries, flashlight/batteries, and pjs. i still have 1/2 space left on the snorkel side for more items. i am also taking a backpack for my purse, 2 cameras, computer, xtra pr shoes and misc. it's amazing what you can carryon!.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

ziggy!

You are tooooo funny! LOL! I always look forward to reading what you have to say! Just for the record, I DO NOT spit to wipe off my childs face, nor do I let them drink out of my drink, nor do I let them eat off my plate and vise versa:)

The thought of that just....well, it just! YUC! No slippers no shoes! I will not let my hubby put his clothes or suitcase on my side of the bed or feet with out the comforter pulled. Ok, that is probably a little too much info. But you get my drift. As tcimike said, "that's just how I roll, or float! LOL... and I can't wait to just float in the waters of T&C!

Husker,

There are four of us so we each have our own suitcase and the duffle bag, oh and a garment bag with other beach type stuff in it. We vacation for 14 days.

If it's just you, then two carry on's will be fine. You are allowed to bring a legal sized suitcase and a backpack that fits under the seat. With the type of clothes you are wearing, you could do this. I'm sure two flippers won't take that much of a difference.

as far as your dress code, 5 undies, 5 hawaiian shirts and 2 pair of shorts, and sandals... oh and bathing suit. so you will have room for your snorkel gear flippers and all. Hope that helps! :)

djb

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I finally bought my OWN snorkel set

If you are not going to bring your fins you can rent but why not just go without them then. More often than not there is no current in the water so you would not really need them. I personally can not go into the water without them since I feel bare but that is because I have them on all the time.

You can rent from Dive Provo also. I believe that Green Bean Cafe just across the street from Vista Azul also rents snorkel gear.