We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the Villa Rep

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping the Villa Rep

Is it appropriate to tip the rep for a Villa rental???? Our rep will meet us at the airport and take us to the villa; according to reviews, many times the rep goes out of their way for the extras. It's not that we mind tipping, just want to know what is appropriate.....

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
678 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

It's never *inappropriate* to tip anyone who has helped you out on your vacation - so, yes.

Essentially, that person is a concierge. They are making arrangements for you and taking some worry off your head by picking you up, transporting you, (you'd tip a taxi driver) maybe stocking your villa, showing you how things work, etc.

It's appropriate to tip a concierge.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,929 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

Amy, another way to look at it, is the villa owners pay the villa rep (property manager) for their services, and not really needing to tip.

Personally, if they do something out of the ordinary, (for example, get you into a restaurant that's totally booked, get you a discount for excursion where you wouldn't have otherwise) then maybe. But they are paid to do these things.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

Blamona - Restaurant owners pay the waiters (staff) fro their services. Are you saying it is not really needing to tip there either?

Waters are paid to wait tables. Just like a Villa Rep is paid to do their job.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,929 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

Scuba, waiters are paid less base rate and expect tips. For example, some tabs will have 10% service charge, then you can add to that.

I think it depends on the property manager. If they are acting like a concierge, going above the call of duty (making reservations for you, etc) then tip away.

If they met and greeted you, checked you in, and troubleshooted a couple of little things, then they are doing their job, I feel no tip is required.

Property managers make a lot more money than waiters!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

why tip the taxis drivers? isn't picking you up and dropping you off, in their basic job description .

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,929 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

If above the call of duty, then tip away, my point is that most villas are self-catering (unless you're getting a fully staffed villa in which case it's expected)

To me the difference is mostly self-catering, which most villas are.

Again, they go above the call of duty, tip. But if you're basically self -sufficient for the week, then why should you?

Do you tip 15% at buffets? (okay, none really in Provo)

Does every worker with a job description get tipped? I don't, and still do my job professionally and gratefully.

I'm I stingy? No , actually extremely generous.

But I personally won't leave extra if I'm self catering all week.

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

tipping to the extreme is a U.S. thing. other countries don't expect it like we do. we even have tipping jars at gas stations for people that ring up the sale. is this crazy or what? great service above the call of duty deserves a tip. less than mediocre service, you don't have to tip, it is your choice. owners are not tipped. so if the cab driver owns his own business, since he gets all the proceeds, you generally don't tip. if it is a hired driver working for a company, then you tip. we rented a condo in california and the rep for the owners took us in, toured the house and gave us a key. that was it. we didn't tip. if she would have had fresh fruit, or beverages on ice with a little snack or done something personal, by all means we would have tipped.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
678 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

I'm a tipper. It's a vacation, I plan to spend money, and much of it without justification.

I've had close friends and family work in service and hospitality, and I know how much they count on tips, and how often people think tipping is not important, and how often people do not tip.

I tipped the Delta guy at the airport $10 for taking me to the front of the check-in line - but that's just me. Appropriate - yes. Necessary? No. Appreciated? Certainly. It was worth $10 to me not to stand in line.

In hospitality, tips are customary - aren't they?

I tip the concierge, the taxi driver, the Thrifty car rental guy who picks me up and takes me to my car, the porter, housekeeping, excursion guides, fishing guides, the guy who takes me out on the "free" hobie cat at the resort, the guy who shows me how to use the SUP, the person who puts the towels on my chairs at the beach, etc.

The question was, is it appropriate to tip the villa concierge - it's certainly not *inappropriate* to tip him or her - that was my response.

If my toilet backs up at 3 a.m., and I want someone to respond with urgency, I tip.

I find that I get treated very well when I take care of the people who are partly responsible for making my stay enjoyable.

Totally your call, but it is *appropriate*.

Now, on whether it's *necessary*, I don't think everyone will every agree.

Oh, and I tip the attendant at the gas stations on Provo as well when they fill up my tank. . .

Edited: 06 March 2013, 22:20
Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
678 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

Who gets in a cab and asks "Are you the owner of this company or are you working for someone?"

Who doesn't tip their cab driver in New York or Chicago or San Francisco or Dallas or Toronto or Vancouver or Las Vegas?

I've never considered not tipping a taxi driver . . . .

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping the Villa Rep

Wow!!!! Thanks for all your responses. We are inclined to tip the rep, as this is a service/hospitality industry....tips are part of it. Just wanted to know if there was any certain protocol for this particular situation. thanks again.