We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Alexandra

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Alexandra

Hello - I have been reading as many reviews as I can as we will be traveling to Provo for the first time in July. We are staying at the Alexandra . Can anyone tell me, is it possible to ride bikes to the IGA? What about Salt Mills Plaza?

Also, is there any happy hour within walking distance that you know of?

What is the area like? Did you feel safe riding bikes in the neighborhood or walking up and down the beach?

It will be my husband and I traveling.

Thanks in advanced!

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Alexandra

You can bike it to both the IGA and Salt Mills from the Alexandria - it's maybe a mile and a half. If you're biking it, I would recommend the smaller IGA near 7 stars resort and not the one on Leeward highway which can be somewhat tough to cross on a bike. Anyway, the satellite IGA is just past salt mills. I would recommend a car - it's easy to get around, you will quickly adjust to driving on the other side and it allows you to try all the restaurants on the isle. Provo is very safe and w/out a car you might start to get antsy. With that said, I personally would not venture out at nite off the resort on foot or bike although I see people doing it all the time. You have no worries walking the beach - again, very safe. If you're looking for a happy hour, maybe try Danny Buoys at salt mill. There's also Sometime's at coral gardens which would be a 15 min walk from the Alex (just past Beaches). Hope this helps.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Alexandra

Somewhere at the Coral Gardens resort has a great happy hour and is a nice walk from the Alexandra resort. It also has a great view of the sunset on the top deck.

I believe the Alexandra now has a daily shuttle to the IGA for a very reasonable price.

nj
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Alexandra

I will be staying at the Alexandra for the 3rd time in May. I do feel very safe but like anywhere else just use common sense. I don't walk the beach when it is very dark just to be safe. We usually rent a car to go to the food store but I do see people riding the bikes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Alexandra

Thank you all so much for your responses...very helpful. I've heard about the place at Coral Gardens but didn't realize it was so close to Alexandra. I was trying to avoid getting a rental car but I'm now thinking we should. We've been to Aruba and Jamaica and haven't needed one but TCI seems different and more spread out.

Thanks again for your input!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Alexandra

I think you can get away with a few days rental.

I also like to walk from the Alex to Bay Bistro in the morning for breakfast. Great little place on the beach, with a relaxing atmosphere. A little bit further up the beach is Hemingways. There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance

Mango Reef Restaurant on the Alex property is pretty good also.

Make sure to take a snorkel excursion, great way to see desserted cays near Provo. Caicos Dream Tours is right at the Alexandra you can inquire with them on what the 1/2, or full day schedule involves....So much fun

Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Alexandra

Does that Alexandra have bikes for guests to borrow? It sounds like they do, but I've heard conflicting information.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 15:23
Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Alexandra

Yes. I'm here now, and scoped them out today. They also have helmets for them if you want to be safety conscious.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Alexandra

What is the rental fee for the bike/helmet?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Alexandra

Do not know if includes helmets, but bikes are going for $25 daily

10. Re: Staying at Alexandra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:19