We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Island time" suggestions

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
806 posts
689 reviews
Save Topic
"Island time" suggestions

It is amusing to constantly read about visitors being upset with the slow service in the islands. RELAX!!! If you are concerned about time I'd suggest you politely mention it to your server--that usually works for me. Also all waiters will delay bringing your bill until you literally ask for it. If in a rush simply ask for the bill when you receive your last course. This works for me....but the best advice is to simply enjoy being in Paradise!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Island time" suggestions

Good post..but I have news for you...

Island Time is a myth!

Island Time normally is referred to the local spots. Normally. All those local places are in the business to make money just like higher end places. The people that work there are not on vacation. With that said, to keep the costs down so you can afford it they don't exactly employ a team of chefs that will cook for you within minutes, plus they don't have any idea on how many people will turn out for this particular lunch or dinner. Very often if you take a look inside the kitchen youll see one cook working her/his butt off.

Also, to keep things tasty for you they make the stuff fresh to order for you which takes a little time. So before you say Island Time take a quick peek at the kitchen

Lunches on the island are generally between 1 to 2 hours which is normal. You go to Europe and you'll experience the same thing. The quick lunch is sort of an American thing.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Island time" suggestions

oh, no! Island time a myth? Say it ain't so.... I always thought Island time was a state of mind.......or in my case a way of life. I'm just talkin'!!!!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Island time" suggestions

Personally....when we are out for a meal....part of the experience is the time relaxing and having conversation.

As long as the food is good....who really cares if it takes a while....after all ...you are on vacation.

I'm just sayn'.

Mike

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Island time" suggestions

I have to add it's a cultural thing. That is their way of life. We are the ones that live in the rat race. Many years ago, my kids would ask when dinner was coming and I would explain that we were in no rush to go anywhere, no schedule,and as Mike said, sit and talk.

After all it is us visiting their country.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "Island time" suggestions

As long as the drinks keep coming, I have no problem with a long extended meal...especially on vacation.

;-)

6. Re: "Island time" suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 05:19