We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

scotchcove
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

I am a little late in posting but feel I owe it to all the members here( that provided us with copias amounts of advice) to give a rundown of our week and overall impressions of our vacation in Provo..

4 Travellers - Moi, Wife, Mother-in-law, 9 yr. old daughter

Accomodations - Ports Of Call

Day 1 - Noon arrival - Shuttle(complimentary) to Ports Of Call

- Check in -Dropped off luggage - we were a little early to get our rooms- so I had a cold Strawberry Daquiri(sp?) while my wife and others walked across the street and had lunch at Upstairs Bar&Grill - had read mixed reviews on this place , however they thought the chicken wings/conch fritters and shrimp skewers with peanut sauce were delicious.Got our room patio level walk out to pool area - clean room 2 double beds sitting area with pull-out sofa -Off to the IGA for supplies- wine beer(Turks head amber/ Lager - both good) water and some snick snacks for our room. A little tired from travelling hung out by the pool, walked over to PizzaPizza for take out great pizza good price - a couple of nightcaps and off to bed.

Day 2 - Up early - Continental Breakfast at Hotel

- To the Beach with cooler lunch meats , beer , water - this is where the collapseable cooler proved most valuable.

What can you say about Grace Bay Beach...............So far the nicest beach we have ever been to. Swimming, frisbee, relaxing reading, walk along the beach, more swimming then picnic lunch.Fresh bread ,cheese, sausage all from IGA.

Back to hotel mid afternoon - A little table tennis, billiards outside - dip in the pool, then off to Hemmingways for dinner - Conch fritters-fish and chips-jerk chicken- shrimp pasta and keylime pie - Yummy, back to room repeat nightcap ritual and to bed.

Day 3 - Up early - Continental Breakfast

- Neighborhood walk - The location of this Hotel is perfect for those who for whatever reason don't want to rent a car - my specific reason was that i like to have a few drinks throughout the day( ok more than a few) - a quick swim in the pool then a walk to Seaside Cafe for lunch - clubhouse- fish tacos-shrimp salad-hamburger - excellent place to eat on the beach and great food - walked the beach quick swim in ocean and back to our hotel - Roast Chicken and salad for dinner(IGA) - Hung around pool area and bar met some interesting people- bring on the nightcaps and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Day 4 Up early

- Breakfast at Caicos Bakery - ham & cheese croissants- pain au chocolat - coffee-juice - and a fresh baguette(for later) - Awesome

Back to Hotel fill the cooler and off to the beach.Same fun beach stuff - Lunch Shaved roast beef-mustard(IGA) along with aforementioned baguette - More beach and back to Hotel -

- Dinner at Caicos Cafe (reservation made earlier that day through front desk staff at our hotel - Bourbon marinated ribs- gnocchi- salad- shrimp and scallop skewers - Delicious!!!

- Back to Hotel (same as before) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Day 5 - B-fast at hotel

Booked an excursion for Underwater Explorer in Turtle Cove - Hung around the pool - shuttle picked us up around 11:00 (incl. in price) - the boat trip is pretty cool-not like glass bottom since the walls around you are also glass - saw lots of corral, multicolored fish and of course turtles - my nine year old thouroughly enjoyed this trip -* I decided when they announced the boat was heading back in to ask the guide if i could go above deck to get a little fresh air, no problem, I was fine just wanted to get a view of the marina as we motored back in, very impressive condos and yachts- We decided not to take the shuttle back and have lunch at the Tiki Hut since it was right in front of us( ok I pre-planned this) Chicken wings-fish tacos-grilled chicken sliders- sweet potato fries - more keylime pie - all good!!!!!

Back to Hotel - taxi $30 for 4 - trip to the beach - back to Hotel - deli sandwiches - hot tub - night____ z

Day 6 - Up ________ Break____ @ Hot___

Hung around pool for awhile - Day trip to Princess Alexandra Nat. Park - perfect, a park that's a Beach(genius) - more sun and fun - a little snorkeling/swimming - Lunch at Somewhere - amazing sea side views - pulled pork sandwich and tacos - nachos - fresh snapper - WOW!!!

Back to homebase - hot tub - leftover meats with fresh baguette from Bakery - Drinks - Down for the count.

Day 7 (Last Full Day)

"Honey, what shall we do.?" Go to the Beach of course - Lunch - I went to the Patty Place - 2 for $5 - Wife and others returned to Upstairs for wings - shrimp- no complaints from any of us - Back to Beach - Homebase - Dinner at Seaside(my mother-in-law) just had to go back - Beef Wellington - Shrimp Alfredo - Steak with chimichura sauce - pineapple strudel -warm brownie -Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Back to room

Last of the Provo Nightcaps - Crash

Departure Day - Yes up early

B-fast - pack luggage - swim in pool - Dropped off opened liquor - a few beer - a couple of citrus candles we bought for evenings, all in the collapseable cooler to Martin at the front desk who was always helpful - board the shuttle to Airport- a little crowded, but quite efficient check-in - And away we Went!!

Armed with so much information from this forum we had one of our best vacations ever - We never had a bad meal the entire week - People were always willing to help and the Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

thank you so much for the awesome trip report. i love reading these! glad you had a great time and looking forward to ours even more! 47 days and counting...

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Sounds like you had a perfect, very relaxing family vacation!!

My kind of holiday!

That's what TCI is all about!

Thanks for posting!

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
517 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Great trip report! I read this forum for months before our first trip and felt like I knew the island already. It's a great resource.

newport, vt
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Glad you enjoyed your trip, we will be there in less than 4 weeks. I too am staying at Ports of Call, was unaware of the shuttle. Do you give them your flight info or do they have a botth at the airport?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Sounds like a great trip.

So.........when will you be bacK?

Mike

scotchcove
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Pamela - The shuttle is provided by air canada vacations so not sure if all guests are entitled- you will have to check into it - not sure if this helps - but it will save you some$

scotchcove
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Not sure Mike - but we shall return!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

Loved your trip report! It just goes to show that you can do Provo in a more budget friendly way. I love the Gourmet IGA as well...great deli and a wonderful way to save some $$. We too love the Seaside Cafe....I think they are really underrated.

Hope you get to return someday soon!

9. Re: Trip Report - Feb. 22 - 29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:16