We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me decide on a resort

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me decide on a resort

We are having trouble deciding on where to stay for our first visit to T&C. It will be a 4 night stay and we don't currently plan to rent a car. We want a nice pool and nice beach and comfortable room with a nice bed. We enjoying snorkeling and bring our own equipment. We'll probably do an oceanview room wherever we go. Max room cost of $325 per night before tax is our budget. We'll go out to dinner each night and maybe for lunch one of the days but will probably try to hit the grocery store when we get there to get some food to have in the room. We like nice properties and generally stay in 4 star and up properties, with maybe a 3.5 star here or there. Here are the places we are considering:

-The Gansevoort (it is at the top of our budget but we like that there is a full breakfast included here, which should save us some money--reminds me of the W in Fort Lauderdale, which we love)

-The Alexandra

-The Sands at Grace Bay

-Ocean Club West

-Royal West Indies

Where would you suggest we stay? It's hard to tell from pictures what the room will really be like. My one concern with some of these is that they are condo properties with private owners and I'm worried that we'll get a room that the owner hasn't ever updated that will look nothing like the picture on the website.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

If you are not renting a car then Ocean Club West is the only one that will work for all of your wants except snorkelling.

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

If it helps, we don't mind taking a cab to dinner/the store. They don't have to be walkable. Walkable would be nice, but sounds like at night we'd have to take a cab back for safety reasons anyway.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

Try looking on VRBO and you will know exactly what your condo looks like.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

All of the suites at The Sands have a furniture package that are all basically the same. One unit might have a bette/larger tv, or a few more pots and pans. They all have the same furniture, fabrics, window treatments, etc.

They recently renovated all the bathrooms and all the owners had to do it.

The Alex has one ocean view building that is not as updated as the other's.

I think that RWI is all basically the same and I am not sure about OCW.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
759 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

All rooms at Gansevoort are decorated in the G brand and style, without private owner touches, aside from maybe a piece of artwork here or there, or some additional funky chairs, but I've only seen that in the penthouse.

Beds and pillows are extremely comfortable, as is the furniture, towels, etc. Nice attention to detail and extra touches like - complimentary his and hers flip flops, turn down service with bottles of water bedside, beach attendant to assist with chairs and towels, complimentary water activities like Hobie Cat rides, paddle boards, kayaks.

Nice spa with great outdoor showers. The selection they provide at breakfast is very nice, the chocolate chip muffins are great, and there is a vast selection as well as eggs to order. Atmosphere is very pleasant, and of all the places you've named, Gansevoort is the most similar to a W.

The last 3, while pleasant, aren't anything like a W hotel, and the Alexandra, while also very nice and well appointed, is not luxe, but is closer than the other 3.

However, I'm not sure you can get an oceanfront room for $325 before the 10% service charge and 11% government tax. I think a pool view studio is around $350.00 a night during the off season (not including the 21% mentioned herein.)

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

Do you know which building it is at The Alex in case we book there so we could request not to be in that building? Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

When we took our first trip to Provo, I was having the same dilema..where to stay. My suggest to you is the Ocean Club West. The rooms are nice, the staff is great, the food is great, the pool is very nice (I loved floating around the pool on my raft - I took a cheap one in my bag). It was convenient to every thing. We are heading back in October and decided to stay at Windsong because of the location to the reef. I am having regrets for not booking the Ocean Club West, but have to try new avenues. Just my two cents....and GO WOLFPACK!! :) My husband attended NCSU. :)

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

I have personally stayed in three of the five resorts that you are considering (Alexandra, Sands & Ocean Club West). Each of these resorts plus the Royal West Indies is 8 plus years old. They are all good resorts and appeal to the budget conscious.

Gansevoort is one of the newer resorts and is certainly upscale, but not centrally located. You will need to either rent a car or cab to the grocery stores on the island, if you chose this resort, because it is located on the far eastern end of Grace Bay.

If you prefer upscale and wish to be in a more central location (close to many restaurants, bars, shops, etc.), you may want to consider the Seven Stars Resort. Although on the high-end of your budget I would recommend that you directly call the resort and speak with the Reservation Manager, Yngrit Reynoso (1-866-570-7777 (toll free)). She may be able to get you a room rate that will work for you.

Like, Gansevoort it is an upscale resort and thus the room rates will be higher than the resorts in the economy class. However, you can save in other ways, such as doing some grocery shopping at the Gourmet IGA grocery store, which is within a couple hundred yards just outside the entrance of the resort. Also, Seven Stars offers complimentary grocery pull carts to its guests.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

Depending on when you are traveling,Regent Grand has the nicest pool and beach area is great but would be at the top of your budget....we found cheapest rates with still great weather in late August,early Sept...

10. Re: Please help me decide on a resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18