We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
617 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Airport

I've been reading a few things here but i'm a little confused about the airport for our return trip home so i figured I would post my questions here. From previous travel to the carribean I know to leave at least 3 hours before my flight home. I usually like to buy food at the airport once im passed security to bring with me on the plane but from what im reading not sure i can do this at the airport because of a lack of places? Also is the regular waiting area not air conditioned? Should i consider going to one of these lounges VIP or the other 18 and older lounge? My husband and I will be traveling to TCI in August, arriving on a Tuesday and departing on a Tuesday. How are the crowds during the week?

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport

Tuesday in August should be busy at all, so maybe save your money for the VIP lounge.

main lounge IS air conditioned, just wont feel like it after an hour or so, so wear light clothing.

VERY limited eat / drink once thru security, so ensure you eat well BEFORE going to the airport!!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
617 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport

Ok thanks!! So I guess I shouldn't I reserve the VIP lounge for $50 pp? I was mainly concerned about air conditioning and food. I just realized I could buy something on my Jet Blue flight since they do offer some things for purchase.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 18:00
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport

As said, Tue. in Aug should not be crowded at all. Plan to arrive at airport maybe 90 minutes before flight time and you should be fine.

Past security there is just a simple snack bar and I'm not sure I'd want to take that food with me. We generally make some sandwiches before leaving the resort and carry them with us in our carry-on. No problem taking solid food through security (no liquids, of course). Just make sure you eat any food with meat or any fruit before you get to your US destination.

4. Re: Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 19:35
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
617 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport

Wow that's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. Just booked a vacation in Turks & Caicos and reading some pretty scary stuff lately. Not sure i made the right choice in vacation destination now : /

Mentioned in this post
kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport

i can confirm these arrests via the turks and caicos police facebook page

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport

Horace-that is terrible! Was your bag out of your custody for any length of time? I would think the safest thing to do would be to just do carry on's....that way your bag is always with you...someone is playing a very sick trick on unsuspecting visitors.

BC
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport

While I waited in line, my wife went and ordered us lunch at the restaurant in the airport to go, I had a chicken wrap that was actually very good and she enjoyed her chicken strips and fries LOL

We took our food through security and didnt have any issues, weird part was we had a 1L of gingerale and they didnt take it away.

Also, give yourself sometime to load up on Bamberra Rum at the duty free and if you forgot to get some local art (as we did) we ended up purchasing some at the little store at the airport.

The lounge was air conditioned and quite comfortable.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport

There's a Gilley's restaurant that's pretty good for casual food (burgers, chicken fingers etc) in the check in area. You can eat there and then go through security. You'll have plenty of time.

Upstairs there's an outside open air "lounge" that's the 18 and older. No need for reservations for it, you can take the stairs and go back and forth as you please.

You can also decide at the airport wether you need VIP lounge or not.

It won't be crowded on a Tuesday.

Girlinkalamazoo, while the Facebook page said something happened, it doesn't say anyone was framed or there's a conspiracy. Until court, we won't know. So far the story doesn't make sense!

We will know mid June.

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport

Can you smoke in the open air lounge?