We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for my first trip?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for my first trip?

My wife, son (age 7) and I will be headed to Provo for the first time at the end of August. I like to plan, so I thought I'd share my plans and see whether any of the experts here might be able to make some suggestions:

We're staying at Villa del Mar for easy access to beach, Graceway Gourmet, restaurants, Grace Bay Car Rental, etc.

We arrive Saturday afternoon and plan to just settle in and check out the area, maybe stop by Graceway Gourmet for some wine since we won't be able to get alcohol on Sunday. Check out the beach, find the local restaurants, etc.

Sunday is a beach day for us. Just enjoy being in this beautiful place. I'm thinking of heading over to the "Sunday Jerk Fiesta" for dinner at Pelican Bay restaurant (http://www.pelicanbaytci.com/special1.html) -- which I think is within walking distance? Is this worth it?

Monday will be a snorkel day. I'd love to do a full day trip at Island Snorkeling Adventures (islandsnorkelingadventures.com/…FDFC), but I have a feeling that will be outside our price range. Another option might be the 6-hour snorkel/kayak adventure at Big Blue Unlimited (www.bigblueunlimited.com/snorkeling.shtml) -- which is also pretty pricey. Does anybody have some advice on how to keep this reasonable? Any clearly better bets than one of these two? I'm looking for more snorkeling and a little less partying with a company that has small group excursions and will pick us up from Villa del Mar.

Tuesday: Probably another Grace Bay beach day. Rest, relax, enjoy. Arrange for a rental car for Thursday-Friday. Maybe try Sailing Paradise for dinner, as they will pick us up and take us home on their shuttle bus (gives us a little idea of what's happening over in that direction, too ... including driving past Da Conch Shack, according to some TripAdvisor folks, so we'll know where we're going when we get a car).

Wednesday: Thinking of the Ocean Outback tour, combines a little snorkeling (for me), some pirate activities (for the kiddo), a serene beach (for the wife) and will pick us up at Villa del Mar (I think.) http://www.oceanoutback.com/Home_Page_2.html. Leaves from Sapodilla Bay, so we'll get a look at that side of the island and maybe have some idea of how to get to Chalk Sound.

Thursday: Get our rental car. Drive to Coral Gardens for some Bight Reef snorkeling. Over to Da Conch Shack for lunch. **What should we do in the afternoon now that we have a car?** Likely going for the Thursday Night Fish Fry at Children's Park for dinner.

Friday: Lazy morning on the beach (time is running out!). Rental car drive over to Las Brisas for lunch and check out/kayak Chalk Sound. Take a look at Taylor Bay (having already seen Sapodilla if we do the Outback Adventure). Back home and I'm enticed by the Friday night beach party and pig roast at Pelican Bay restaurant (again - is this worth it? It looks fun, but that's easy to do).

Saturday: Enjoy one last morning on the beach, then back to the airport and home.

Side plans: We're planning on bringing certain snacks with us on the plane (chips, crackers, pretzels, bread) to allow for some easy lunches. We'll also bring some snorkel equipment. Villa del Mar has washer/dryers in the room, so we're staying light on the luggage. Villa del Mar also includes basic breakfast, so I hope that's pretty tasty.

Am I missing anything? Am I way off base?

This place looks and sounds like a dream come true. Hope it turns out that way.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

First time? are you kidding me??

you sound more like a TCI Destination Expert!!

Good itinery!!

not sure what to add........!

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

Like I said, I like to plan. I've been reading up on everything TripAdvisor has to offer and just wanted to put it all together in one place.

Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

What about Somewhere for lunch when you are already at corral gardens snorkeling. Seeing you will already be close, you could always take a drive over to the tiki hut in turtle cove after corral gardens. They also have a beach BBQ at seven stars on sundays. Though it would be more expensive than Sunday Jerk Fiesta at RWI. They do have a bon fire there at the Beach BBQ at Seven Stars. Maybe someone has some knowledge of both? A restaurant that comes highly recommended is Coco Bistro. Re: the pig roast at RWI they may not have it when you are going to be there. You can go to their facebook page and ask them.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

Mark, dude, you just made me tired. You should hear all the things we say we are going to do. Once I get back on that beach, I have a hard time leaving it, even to eat. I always say, well we will be back soon, we can do it then. Although all those hours on the beach with a 7 year old, probably too much.

Sounds like you will have a fantastic trip and a little bit of something for everyone. Potcake Puppies might be fun for your son, if he likes dogs, although be careful it is hard to leave them.

Okemos
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

Your plans sound great. Our first vacation to Provo ends tomorrow so I'm hardly experienced, but I can say of the things we did......the 4-hour snorkel Eco tour with Big Blue was wonderful. I'm sure they'll pick you up wherever you'll be staying. We went with two other couples to three spots beyond where the waves break, quite a distance from shore. Saw a turtle, barracuda, lots of fish and abundant reef life, and had a close encounter with a reef shark. Very exciting trip. Big Blue staff were terrific.

If it's in your budget, Coco Bistro shouldn't be missed. An unforgettable dining experience on all levels. For lunch I would support going to Las Brisas. We also did Tiki Hut our first day going there directly from the airport and found it very laid back with decent sandwiches. Somewhere near Coral garden had good pulled pork quesadillas and a nice island vibe. I should mention the island drinks everywhere are delicious.

We really enjoyed Smith's Reef for beach snorkeling. There are at least 4 distinct reef sections there depending on which access point you choose. We didn't try The Bight (next to Somewhere), but did get a sense Smith's might have been a better spot. You probably can't go wrong with either.

You'll have a great time on Provo regardless go how much - or how little - you do.

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep the ideas coming.

Hope I don't seem like too much of a control freak. These plans are intended to be a fall-back position ... if something more interesting comes up, we'll do that. If not, we have something to do. And it's also (as tewksMaryland noted) so we can keep the 7-year-old engaged.

Looking to balance relaxing beach time with activities.

Again, though: Thanks!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

We stayed at VDM on our last visit and really enjoyed our stay there!

Have never eaten at Pelican Bay but I would really suggest that you walk a little further on the beach and try Flamingos! It's a great casual restaurant right on the beach that serves great local food. Cash only though.

Enjoy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

Ditto, what maca31 says about Flamingo,s. I would also try to fit in a visit to Chalk Sound while you have the car.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 07:39
9. Re: Suggestions for my first trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:17