We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural Center??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cultural Center??

I didn't want to go off-topic in a different thread, but Blamona mentioned that there's a Cultural Center near the old Veranda where locals sell their goods? I looked on the map - is this next to the Alexandra resort?

Is the Cultural Center still open and are they open daily? I'd love to visit it when we are down there this summer.

Thanks!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cultural Center??

Between Beaches & Veranda I believe. There is a (soon to be closed) public beach access.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
518 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cultural Center??

I'll make sure and go there during my visit this summer. I hate the thought that Beaches is going to cut off their access.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,942 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cultural Center??

There's also the very popular locals restaurant there, Middle Caicos Cafe.

Locals are not happy about the closing of the public beach access, which limits walkers on the beach from stopping by

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cultural Center??

Not only that . A lot of locals spend the day with their families on the beach at the Public beach access. I know Lisa the owner of Middle Caicos café...Where will she go?

Beaches is taking over....Lets face it...I can't believe how fast this is all happening. I'll probably go there one more year to see what it's like...That's it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cultural Center??

Camke, have faith my dear. :)

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cultural Center??

i wish i had read about the cultural center before that thread, too. sounds like a place i would have liked to see and buy

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
320 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cultural Center??

We went to a place where the locals sell their wares called the straw village. At the time the Veranda was closed and we had wandered over looking for this straw village. We were politely shown an alley way between the Veranda and beaches property that led to the series of small buildings where locals were selling their wares. Very reasonable prices compared to Salt Mills area. It would be a shame to close off this limited access because people have a hard enough time finding it anyway. People were very friendly .

Is it true the owner of Beaches is the largest private employer on the island?

I do not want to spread rumors, but is it true he is trying to buy the Alexandra?

I had heard they had just come out of receivership recently but stranger things than this have happened.

TA travelers can and should try and support locals as much as possible.

After all we do have a voice. opinionated and sometimes snarky but a voice nonetheless:)

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cultural Center??

jaxon,

I heard the same thing about about trying to buy The Alexandra in doing some extensive research on buying property on Grace Bay. Doesn't sound good. Re-thinking the whole buying process. It really is too bad that Beaches is taking over Grace Bay. And now with the Marriott breaking ground soon Grace Bay will not be what it is or was.

:(

9. Re: Cultural Center??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17