We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic

My daughter turned 21 this year so I thought it was a good time for us to have some alone time. So after she finished her college exams, we headed out for our trip. We left my husband to handle our two sons at home who was still in school. I did some research ahead of time but did less research than I normally do.

Day 1-

Flew north to Charlotte on USAir to then get the flight to Provo. Our flight arrived at 2:30 pm. You deplane and walk across the tarmac to a large room with no air conditioning and get in to one of many lines to go thru customs. It does seem like the process is slow but the agents are friendly and welcoming. There appeared to be more than one flight arriving at the same time. There are no restroom facilities (tip: use the bathroom on the plane).

After going thru customs we go to another room to pick up our luggage and out the door we go. We are met with a chaos of people holding signs for various hotels and individuals. There were no clear signs about the taxis and where to go or get in line for one. Looking bewildered, a hotel representative pointed out a representative from our hotel that was assisting travelers and grouping them together. The taxis are large 10 passenger vans so the hotel rep trys to help fill up the taxi. The “taxi” ride was about 15 minutes to the Alexandria Resort and the charge was $11 per person. We passed the IGA grocery on the way to the resort.

What we eventually learned was that the “taxis” were mainly large 10 passenger vans. There was a certain price per mile per person. I knew we weren’t going to take too many trips away from the hotel to warrant a rental car. It all depends on the number in your party and how many times you think you will need to leave the hotel as to whether to get a rental car or not.

Arriving at the hotel, we were greeted and asked to sit on the deck overlooking the beach until it was our turn to check in. They offered us a cool, wet cloth and a rum punch. We didn’t have time to finish the punch before it was time to get the keys to our room.

Our room was located on the 5th floor of the Marilyn building. There was a small balcony that overlooked the pool and the view of the ocean could be seen on an angle. It was a very pretty view and I didn’t mind that we were not oceanfront. The hotel type room had a kitchenette area that was equipped with a mini fridge, microwave oven, blender, toaster, 4-cup coffee maker with coffee supplies (refreshed daily), and basic dishes.

We quickly changed clothes and headed to the pool to relax. The pool was not crowded and had plenty of lounge chairs. The landscaping and grounds were beautiful and well maintained.You had to walk all the way out to the beach area to pick up beach towels though. I would suspect that this was the case because it was off-season. The water was cool and refreshing. My only complaint was that the servers very rarely walk around the pool to take drink orders. When the server (from Mango Bay restaurant) did come he was very cheerful and friendly. It was sunny and warm and always a breeze blowing.

Dinner that evening was at Coco Bistro. It was a $10 taxi ride each way. There was no problem getting a taxi and we did not call ahead to do so. For appetizers we had Conch 2 Ways (Asian fried and ceviche). I had a passion fruit and mango martini, which was delicious. For dinner we tried the pan seared snapper with jasmine rice and vegetables and also the blackened mahi with mango and curry. The bill came to $185 incl 10% tip automatically added. We each had 2 cocktails, shared and appetizer and a dessert. It was by far the best meal we had on our trip but also the most expensive. The outdoor dining area was absolutely lovely. We enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.

Day 2

Breakfast is oatmeal (brought from home) and coffee. It is our way to keep the calories down and allow us to sleep later.

It’s Mother’s Day and my request was to go to church and then spend the day relaxing at the beach and pool. We attended 9 am mass at Our Lady of Divine Providence church. The 9 am mass was the only one in English. They also had one in Spanish and one in Creole. The church was lovely and the people in attendance were of all nationalities. The “taxi” ride was $20 each way. When the driver dropped us off he told us to pay him on the return and that he would pick us up later. He did that and also added another family to the taxi who were traveling in the same direction.

For the rest of the day we sunned at the beach and pool. It was not overly crowded and we were able to get 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella on the beach. We observed people walking to snorkel but did not know how far a walk it was to get to the reef. The Alexandra provides beach equipment including snorkel gear, paddleboards, kayaks, beach volleyball and floats free of charge.

I brought from home some snacks and also drink flavoring packets for flavoring water. The most useful thing we brought from home was the new Tervis Tumbler water bottles. They are large double insulated drinking bottles. Early in the day we would drink our own water, lemonade or iced tea. Later in the day we would purchase mixed drinks and pour them in our bottles and they would stay very cold.

Dinner that evening was at Bay Bistro. We had a 7 pm reservation timed such that we would see the sunset. Bay Bistro is a short 8 min walk on the beach to the right of the hotel. There are about 3 resorts between the Alexandra and the resort that has Bay Bistro.

While at the restaurant we ordered 2 appetizers conch wontons and conch and mushroom crepes. The wontons were great. For dinner we had blackened snapper and grouper in an Asian salad. The meal was very good. The service was very slow and they appeared to be under staffed. I wanted to order a second glass of wine but was never given the opportunity to do so.

The meal was $160.

Day 3

We had plans to take the 8:30 am snorkeling excursion on Caicos Dream Tours (leaves from the beach at our hotel). We were taken out to a wonderful reef to snorkel, then to a beach island to look at iguana and then to a shallow area to dive for conch. The crew prepared conch ceviche for us to eat and also provided rum punch, beer, water and a pack of Doritos. Before returning we made another stop in a shallow area to collect sand dollars and shells. There were about 20 people on the trip and it was a friendly cheerful group. Two people got seasick even though the waves were not too bad. I am rather prone to seasickness and I was fine the whole day.

We returned to the hotel by 1:30.We went to the pool for a bit and then got a massage. It was a sunny day and a little warmer than the day before. Beautiful weather!

Dinner was at Las Brisas in Chaulk Sound. I called our taxi driver Tina from our ride from the airport. She arrived to take us to our restaurant and had her cute grandchildren with her. She dropped us off and told us to call her when we wanted to be picked up again. For appetizers we had conch fritters appetizer and spinach salad with hot cream. The spinach salad was more like a soup so I sent it back at first since I thought it was the wrong order. It was unusual but tasty. Our main courses were snapper with creole sauce and rack of lamb with mashed potatoes and black beans. The total cost was about $140. Our taxi driver delivered us to the hotel and the round trip fare ended up being $70!!! Lesson learned: if you don’t have a rental car, choose restaurants that are close to you hotel.

Day 4

A very early day since Big Blue Unlimited is picking us up at 7:30 am for our excursion. We stopped at 2 other hotels to pick up other people. We got dropped off at the Big Blue headquarters/dock where several different excursions were getting organized. Our guide Lynn was a marathon runner and we were taking the Bicycle Island Adventure.

Our day started with a 30-minute boat ride to the North Caicos ferry landing. We then walked a short distance to the bike storage building to get our bikes and helmets. Our group also included 4 others in their late 40’s/mid 50’s. We rode in the countryside a stopped at a few local sites. We stopped at the old cotton plantation and walked the grounds and Lynn told us some of the history behind it. We rode thru the village of Kew and passed the local elementary school and saw the children in uniforms playing. They waved and said “hello”. Everyone we passed throughout the day said “hello”. We stopped at J’s Variety store for a cold drink. They had an Internet café and printer available. I was fascinated at the prices of the groceries available. Next stop was the private home of a local that cooks lunch for the Heart of the Islands tour group. I enjoyed meeting Sue and seeing her home. We walked her yard while Lynn pointed out some of the plants growing on the property. Some more riding and we stopped for a long lunch at the Barracuda Bar. We were able to walk the beach, swim if we wanted or lounge in the hammock. The return ride was a bit uncomfortable since several miles were on bumpy, sandy roads. All told we rode about 20 miles. My daughter and I agreed that we very much enjoyed the eco-tour. We liked their approach giving tours and remaining eco friendly. We wished we were able to do another tour with Big Blue.

We arrived back to our hotel hot and tired at about 5:00 pm. We changed clothes and got right into the pool. We waded over to the pool bar to get a much-needed cold drink.

Dinner was planned to be at the hotel at the Mango Bay restaurant. We were very tired and really enjoying the pool so we missed our reservation. They had live music so they were busier than normal. When we finally to the restaurant at 8 pm, we had to take a table near the bar but were still able to enjoy the music. We both ordered curry dishes, which were delicious. The meal was about $120 and I think it was the least expensive meal we had. We later found out that lobster season was August to April. Since we were there in May, no lobster was available at any restaurant, which was disappointing.

Day 5

We fly home today but our flight isn’t till 3:30 pm. I walked to the lobby and ask the clerk (Olivia?) if we could have late check out. They allowed us to keep our room until 1 pm.

With the late check out we decided to walk down to the Coral Gardens to snorkel one last time. The walk was about 15-20 minutes on the beach to the left from the hotel. You have to walk past the Beaches resort with is hustling and bustling with families. The Coral Gardens is a trail of markers designated by ropes and buoys. There are informational markers that are on the ocean floor for you to read. The Somewhere Café is located right there. That would have been fun to go eat breakfast there after snorkeling but we were not prepared for that.

After snorkeling we walked back to our beach a got some lounge chairs. We recognized a few people from the 2 different excursions we took. We had a nice time at the beach before preparing to go to the airport.

We left the hotel at 1:20 in order to get to the airport 2 hours before our flight. There were about 3 flights all leaving at the same time. Although the airport was crowded, the process seemed to go at a reasonable speed. Once thru security, we were able to shop at the duty free store and souvenir shop. The waiting area was air conditioned and very crowded. The people were packed in everywhere and there were lots of people standing or sitting on the floor. We were eventually able to get seats.

My daughter and I had a great trip. We had just the right amount of sun, surf, pampering, good food, lounging and reading. I can’t wait to return someday with the rest of the family.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

Thanks for the comprehensive trip report! Sounds like you had a very special time with your daughter. I was lucky enough to go with my daughter (27) in December and now she's hooked as well! Although we were much lazier than you guys, ;-)

Hope you get to return with your whole family sometime in the near future!

Edited: 01 June 2013, 00:10
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

"Like" Thank you for sharing, thank you for making the plan, hope you both cherish forever the memories.

New York
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

It was nice reading your trip report. We will be visiting for 10 days in June for our first time. I am hoping that most of our meals cost less than $100. Surprising to read that there was no air conditioning or restrooms in the airport. I am looking forward to a lazy start to my morning. We are going over to Middle Caicos to see Mudjin Harbor and Bambarra beach.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

The Restrooms are to your immediate left upon entering the Arrival area. The area IS air-conditioned. It is possile it is overtaxed when the arrivals are back-to-back and this area is filled with people.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

Very nice. I've taken my daughter just her and I and it's special.

Thanks for sharing

ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

Love the trip report and meal prices are a big help! Headed there in July!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

It appears I am the first guy to post a reply to your mother-daughter trip. All I can say it was a bonding experience for you two. I love reading trip reports anyway. It opens my eyes to what others experience on their travels to Turks & Caicos. Glad you liked Wade's Plantation near the village of KEW. DR. JIM

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

What a wonderful way to celebrate your daughter's 21st birthday!

Cherished memories that you'll always have of your time together....very special!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

I loved your trip report..

I agree, it was the perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day and a 21 birthday.

Now you have to plan a trip to bring the rest of the family back..It is only fair

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report May 11-14, 2013 Mother Daughter Trip

Update:

A few more details I would like to share about staying at the Alex. When choosing resorts I narrowed it down to The Sands and The Alexandra. I was looking for middle price range (~ $300 per night), on the beach, bar service at the pool and beach, close proximity to restaurants, and in Grace Bay Area. When I went to make a reservation at the Sands, they no longer had rooms available so I looked harder at the Alex. With the Alex I liked that it was within walking distance of the Coral Gardens reef and that it had a swim up bar at the pool.

Amenities offered at the Alex: beach equipment free of charge, pool area that is very pretty and well landscaped, afternoon shuttle to the IGA grocery for $11, free bicycles to ride, spa (small but functional), live music at dinner 2 nights per week, nice outdoor dining/bar area to relax at night, maid service daily with turn down service at night, and staff very willing to provide assistance. Most of the fruity drinks from the bar were priced $8-10 each. One of the drinks I enjoyed was a frozen drink called Blue Hawaiian.

Lesson learned on my trip: Tip your maid on a daily basis because you won't necessarily have the same maid each day.I think I had more than one maid service my room and I would hate it if my tip didn't get to all the maids that cleaned my room. Don't know if they split tips or not. I also tipped the beach towel guy and anyone who helped me with our luggage.

Also, while on the bike tour, a gal from NY on the tour said there were cheaper taxis that the locals used called jitneys. I don't know any more details than that. I mostly saw the big 10 passenger vans. On our return trip to the airport we were taken in a small SUV. The charge to the airport was the same. I asked that SUV cab driver what she would have charged me to take us to Chaulk Sound and she said $70 round trip. So the big van and the smaller SUV would charge the same price so I assume it is a per milage per person charge. I couldn't understand why I didn't see smaller vehicles for taxis that would be more fuel efficient. I don't know anything more about the jitneys and never tried to use one.