We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

wvachica
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Back with another questions...since our vacation is next month you all may hear a lot from me (sorry).

We have been on several vacations/road trips with our daughter but this is the first time flying and traveling outside the US with her. She was only 3 months the first time she went to the beach. She will be 14 months this time.

Any tips or advice for traveling with our daughter in T&C. Is there anything you wish you would have known or items wish you would have bought with you. We will be staying at Villa Del Mar. As for getting from VDM to the beach do you recommend I use my lightweight stroller or should I just use my Ergo carrier.

Thanks! Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
977 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

I would buy a few new toys to hand out at different points of the trip. We brought our 10 month old to T&C and had a blast! I found a couple of toys with suction cups on the bottom to stick to the tray table on the airplane. Books, snacks etc. I would probably bring the baby carrier...I think that will be easier. We also brought one of those baby spring floats...it folds completely flat so very easy to pack and perfect for the pool or beach!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Rash Guard long sleeved shirt. Floppy hat that covers the back of the neck along with the face area. Plenty of sun screen. Sun glasses, A couple pair of the arm floaties. for the pool and beach. A small beach blanket for beach naps.... the best and longest naps my child has ever had is on Grace Bay Beach. Dig a little hammock shaped hole in the sand..under umbrella, spread the blanket out, bottle in mouth, and cover baby with towel, bring hat over face, and they are out like a light.

Villa Del Mar has a small washer and dryer, so no need to bring a lot of clothes. Do bring a small compact stroller for the airport, small pillow and blanket for the plane, snacks, small toys. I just brought little cars for my son and books, and maybe some movies. Someone always leaves pails, and shovels don't bring that sort of stuff. You can always buy it at the IGA which is a short walk from VDM.

Enjoy !!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Well, DR. VICKI & I brought Our 17 month old twin daughters along with an 8 year old sister to Provo twice in 2008. Strollers do not perform very well in sand. Ditch the stroller on Provo and rely on the Ergo Carrier while here. Me, I just held our 2 girls. Proud older father. Unless you plan on walking everywhere, you will need a car seat for your daughter. I hope you plan on renting a car to see/explore or go out to eat while on the Island. Grace Bay Car Rental provides you that car seat for renting from them for free. Cost of diapers are 1.5X the cost back home. Buy here for the lighter luggage to carry and transport/pack. DR. JIM

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Agree with Dr. Jim -- ditch the stroller for the beach. It's only a short walk to the beach anyway.

Kids are great at that age. Most will be content to play in the sand with a few toys all day, every day. Mom and dad can kick back and relax.

I wouldn't bother trying to feed her in a restaurant. Instead, feed her back at the condo, then order dessert for her while you and your spouse enjoy your entrees. Worked for us. :)

Also, don't try to do too much. She probably won't remember the trip, and there's no reason to make her uncomfortable.

Most of all relax and enjoy your time together -- as a family.:-)

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

So many times you hear kids screaming on the plane during take off and landing. My theory is this is from the pressure change to your ears that babies do not know how to clear. Be sure your child is sucking on a bottle during take off and from the time the plane begins to descend.

wvachica
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Thanks every one for your advice and tip! Appreciate it.

We are going to rent a car while visiting. The car rental places I have spoken to said they have car seats. Debating on if we should carry our own our use one the car rental place provides.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

Okay, you asked this question from a recent double 1 yr. old twin parent. First time, Yes we brought our own(2 baby seats) from home the first time since we never took our older children(6 of them) to Provo before. Now guess how manybabies with diapers used that rental car's seat? You know about soiling, stains, spitups, vomiting, sticky hands, etc. DR. VICKI is a bit OCD when it comes to cleaniness and does super clean the 2 car seats provided by the rental agency once we get to our living quarters on Provo since we usually have a van for 2 weeks on our Provo stays. Our advice is do not lug yours to Provo. Leave it in your car @ your departing airport. Diapers are ready available on the Island and cost maybe 1.5 x home prices. Again, do not use your luggage space to bring them from home. Just bring enough for the flying box(plane) getting to Provo. Do not bring a portable playpen, crib and other large items that consume valuable carrying space. Pack light,.(save your arms/back) because there are ready available laundry(washer/dyer) in just about every condo unit or on the resort floor/site. Meds your baby needs, Yes! All set now? Enjoy. DR. JIM

8. Re: Advice/tips needed- traveling with a 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:16