We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost passports?

Phillipsburg, New...
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lost passports?

Wondering what precautions some of you may take in regards to your passports while traveling? I make copies of my passports? Us there something more I should do? And what happens if you do have your passport lost or stolen? I just read that you must go in person to US embassy? And for turks that would be in Nassau. And of course you cant fly any where without your passport?? So how does that work??Guess I never thought much about it?

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost passports?

We make copy of our passport which we carry in luggage (not sure that's best...) We also left copy w. family at home, and our daughter - the tech generation - took pic w. her iphone. At least it's always w. her!! You asked some good questions; I am anxious to see the responses.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost passports?

Surely some unfortunate soul has gone thru this. I always carry a copy and have a digital copy retreivable via email.

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost passports?

we do the same. take photocopies of our passports. my hubby carries mine and i carry his and we leave copies at home in a designated area. my daughter had hers stolen in prague with all her belongings in her purse. she went to the embassy there. she was asked security questions (you filled them in on your app.) they could look her picture up and see she was who she said she was, and was issued a new one. i am sure that since you would have a photocopy there would be allowances for you to travel to nassau to the embassy from turks and caicos. when i traveled with a friend to ireland, we exchanged our photocopies also as an added precaution

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost passports?

I send a copy of my passport to a close family member along with my flight/hotel info AND I scan a copy of my passport and drivers license into my personal email for easy access. Further more: I write out my contact info and take a picture of it with my camera in case my camera gets lost - and it has and it was happily returned! I also leave my original passport in my room safe and ALWAYS keep a paper copy on me at all times while traveling.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 00:07
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost passports?

We also make copies of our passports, medical cards, drivers licenses, and any credit cards we are taking on the trip along with who to contact back home in case of an emergency, and keep them in our room safe.

When we are out and about in Provo, I make two little id cards with all emergency contact info, the resort where we are staying, etc. Of course if my husband's driving he has his CA drivers license.

We do this where ever we travel. I also leave copies of everything at home with my adult (lawyer) son... ;-)

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
522 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost passports?

Was just reading my AAA itinerary and inportant info - suggests making copies of passports, drivers license and credit cards front and back - keep copy with you and give a copy to a trusted family member or friend. Also the U.S. State Dept recommends enrolling in the STEP program (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) on their website where you enter your travel itinerary and contact information in case of an emergency.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost passports?

Wow you guys are good!

I've traveled the world and it's never crossed my mind!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost passports?

Guess no TA poster to TCI ever lost their's.................

9. Re: Lost passports?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 20:49
Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost passports?

You mean I have to give someone a copy of my passport with that awful picture on it? Shoulda put more of an effort in on passport photo day, yeesh.