We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for snorkeling spots or excursions. My wife and I are divers and have done some diving here but she is pregnant and can't dive so we were looking for some good spots or excursions. Thanks for the help. 5 weeks and counting!!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

CORAL GARDENS or SMITHS REEF (turtle cove) for snorkelling from the shore.

CAICOS DREAM TOURS or ISLAND VIBES or similar for boat trip inc snorkelling

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

The forum has an excellent search function, and this topic is discussed a lot and recently. Short answer: 2 shore snorkel spots - Bight Reef and Smith's Reef, both off Grace Bay beach. Good boat excursions to the offshore reef as well. Search Island Vibes and Caicos Dream Tours.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Spooooooky!!

just a minute apart too :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Thanks guys. If we don't have to take a long boat ride and can get good snorkeling from the shore I think that would be better for my wife. Appreciate the info.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Enjoy!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

Well, the best place to snorkel(safest) for easiest access(for your wife) to the most popular spot on Provo is Bight's Reef @ Coral Gardens. It is just several yards off the sandy beach. You will see(homonym)sea turtles, barracudas and last time DR. VICKI, our 3 young daughters & I were there in the water there, along came a good size shark(6ft). into the reef area. The excitement of the dozens(humans) in the water and the shouting of the beach people was amazing for several minutes. It wasn't a biter(attack shark). The beachmaster(Jerome) @ Coral Gardens used his bullhorn to inform everyone no dangerous threat. We should be arriving on Provo about the same time as you for a full 2 weeker. Enjoy the water adventures that await you. DR. JIM

Edited: 04 July 2013, 03:15
Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

It's not a long boat ride to the offshore snorkeling at all, and the boat ride itself is one of my all time favorite parts of our trip. They use cats, so the ride is pretty darn smooth. And they always stop at the proverbial deserted island so you can wander awhile. It's a perfect half day trip.

Hamlet, IN
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

Dr Jim, how far is Coral Gardens from Villa del Mar? Easily walked?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling

In the hot month of August it would be too far to walk for you & your wife. My best estimate would be 2 miles? Given the circumstances, rent a car during your stay on the Island and make it easier on her. DR. JIM

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling

Also bring a noodle for your wife, or life jacket, sometimes the Bight Reef has a bit of a currant. depending on the weather and water conditions. In August you should have nice calm waters, be safe.