We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

This was our second visit to Provo. The last time we visited the island was for our Honeymoon in 2009. We wanted to do things we had not previously done on the island as well as do some of our favorites from last time.

Villa del Mar

We stayed in a studio room. The rooms, housekeeping and beach service were great. The location is perfect.

Excursions, Beaches & Snorkeling

We did the half day snorkel tour with Island Vibes and had a great time. In the past, we have done Caicos Dream Tours and while we enjoyed both companies, the fact that Island Vibes has a diving board on their boat really makes their tour unique. We also did the morning trail ride with Provo Ponies. This was the highlight of the trip for me. Being in the water with the horses was an amazing experience. And to top it all off, I got to trot and canter with Limbo down the beach. We will definitely do this again when we return to the island.

We rented a kayak at Las Brias and kayaked around Chaulk Sound. The owner of Las Brisas told us about an island in the middle of Chaulk Sound with a bunch of friendly iguanas. We felt as if we were on our own secluded island with a bunch of iguanas, it was a really unique experience. I highly recommend renting a car and visiting Chaulk Sound and Taylor Bay. Taylor Bay is one of my favorite beaches ever. We visited the Conch Farm since my husband wanted to go and we had never visited before. It was a waste of $25 and was only about a 15 minute tour.

Car Rental – Grace Bay Car Rentals

We rented a standard car from GBCR since we had used them in the past. We picked up and returned the car at the airport. Whenever we rent a car in a different country, I always purchase the insurance and I am so glad that I did. Our car was hit while we were parked in our hotel parking lot on our first day on the island. It took off our side mirror and put a large dent in the side of the car. We immediately notified GBCR and they gave us another car for use and charged us the $350 deductible. I really wish we knew who hit our car since we were responsible for the deductible, but I guess it could have been worse if I hadn’t purchased the insurance. Our hotel did not have cameras in their lot so we never found out who hit the car. My only advice is to make sure you have adequate insurance coverage and know your deductible.

Restaurants

All of the restaurants we visited on this trip, except Parallel 23, we had never been to before. We wanted to try all new places for our second visit to the island. For lunch, we dined at The Vix, Seaside Café, Las Brisas, Grill Rouge, and Lupo. All of them were great but lunch at Las Brisas was our favorite. The view of Chaulk Sound and the food are both wonderful. For dinner, we dined at Somewhere Café, the Beach House, Mango Reef, Da Conch Shack and Parallel 23. We have good things to say about all of them and we would probably return to all of them, expect maybe Mango Reef since we were not impressed at all with the food or service. We dined at Parallel 23 because we stayed at the Regent Palms for our honeymoon and wanted to visit the beautiful grounds again. I was really surprised how much we loved Parallel 23 this time. It was our favorite meal of the whole trip. Compared to other islands in the Caribbean, Provo really has some high quality chefs and restaurants which is one of the reasons I love the island.

Overall, we had a great trip. We were a little worried about tropical storm Chantal since we were due to arrive on the day it was scheduled to hit, but we were not delayed at all and it only rained once for about 10 minutes during our stay. For our next trip, we would like to visit Middle and North Caicos to see more of the Turks and Caicos islands.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

This is the first trip report in over a week. It makes my Friday a pleasure to read your's. Yes, a Daytripper to North/Middle Caicos is a must for your 3rd trip. DR. JIM

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Nice trip report.

Sorry to hear about your incident with the car.

Too bad that you had to take out insurance and you still were charged the deductible.

Seems as if that is the reason you take the insurance in the first place and wouldn't GBCR carry their own insurance on their own cars????

We also like P23 and the general atmosphere there at Palms.

The property generally looks nice.

Mike

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Yeah, I was a little surprised about the deductible. The insurance was cheap, only $60 for the week. But it still put a damper in our day since we were walking out to our car to go to dinner and found someone had hit it. Then we spent a bunch of time trying to report it, return the car and get a new car. At that point, it was only the second day of our trip and I was reluctant at first to get another car because if someone else hit it, it would have been another $350 deductible. We did end up getting another car only because we didn't want it to ruin our vacation.

I think we will probably return to the Palms for our next trip. We stayed there for our Honeymoon and loved it.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Nice trip report, thanks for sharing!

Good to know about the car incident-bummer it was your second day. I will be much more aware next time we rent from them exactly what''s covered.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Enjoyed your TR - a boat with a diving board sounds cool & so do the iguanas - thanks for posting!

ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Finally a report! I've been suffering! Thanks!

st.albert
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

Thanks for the TR on your latest trip as we are going for our first time on Aug. 10-17/ 2013. It sucks to here about the car, as we are renting one as well. Also I am liking the restaurants you listed and we will give them a try.

Thanks

8. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/17: Our second trip to the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20