We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Del Mar Day 2

Hamlet, IN
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Del Mar Day 2

Day 2

We were all up early this morning as we are early risers by no fault of our own (blame our employers and toddler). For those of you who are early birds you won’t have a problem snagging some breakfast at Villa Del Mar. Towards the end of the breakfast time you will find the pickings slimmer. We were not sure what to expect so here is details on the spread: Fresh pastries, croissants, chocolate croissants, cereal, skim milk, regular milk, coffee, OJ, apple juice, jam, butter, bagels, cream cheese, white and wheat bread to toast, whole oranges, bananas and banana bread. Loved the chocolate croissants! Don’t arrive before 07:30 or you will be told it’s not ready yet! We watched her progress from the deck. Painstaking slow. Good thing I wasn’t starving. She was a very nice lady though, I chatted with her early one morning. She has two jobs and does the early morning set up here before working over at Sailing Paradise in the afternoon which is closed temporarily.

We were itching to check out Taylor Bay. We were prepared with printed instructions from Husby (thank you!) We found it fairly easy with only one turn around. The parking spot is small and unmarked. This bay is awesome! Crystal clear shallow “wa-wa” as the baby says. He loved it. We all played like babies. We hung out here chatting with a few other visitors (all with kids) till we wore out the toddler and were ready for lunch. As he was nodding off in the car they ducked in the IGA for some supplies while I nodded off too (quit laughing, you all do it) then we opted for a quick lunch to go from the Patty Place and took them back to the resort for lunch and ate on our deck. Yum. I love Jamaican patties. This was the only reasonably priced food we found on the island. We then took advantage of some lazy afternoon time in the pool. Not too many people around. Never had an issue with snagging a poolside lounge or float. Small bar located poolside. Annoying TV located there. They should ditch that and play music instead. Fresh ice water with orange slices in it is located at the bar and in the lobby for your convenience. Again, my Eco Vessel came in quite handy. It kept my drink nice and cold for hours. We asked the desk staff to reserve Hemmingway’s for dinner for our group. I wanted to try the fish tacos but I gather that was on the lunch menu. I ordered the stuffed chicken with goat cheese as did Eric and Sarah had the shrimp pasta. All was served out on the deck as the sun was setting over Grace Bay. Beautiful. We were all satisfied with our meals. I wanted to walk around and check out plates but I refrained. The toddler was a bit cranky with not having a proper nap but the servers and guests seem to take it all in stride. We called it a fairly early evening, we were all tuckered out after swimming most of the day. Eric has discovered Turks Head beer was quite tasty by now. A note about safety, we felt pretty safe and didn’t worry too much about being in a remote area at all. Seemed like this beach is mostly families. The only thing that I found slightly suspicious was at the Taylor bay parking spot. As we were walking up to the car a pickup truck with a young man on the back with a well-dressed man that had on a backpack was just turning around next to the cars. Tourists don’t ride in the open air on the back of pickups so I knew he was a local. He didn’t look like he was dressed to work either, to neat. Was he up to no good? Who knows? Unless they wanted our beat up travel stroller and car seat we weren’t worried. We had left the car unlocked and the glove box open. I noticed the other cars were unlocked also. Another travel item I have found and love that is perfect for the beach is the Pac safe. I have no stock nor sell the item but I wanted to share. I bought it on ebags but it is available at multiple online sites. It consists of a canvas bag with imbedded metal mesh that makes it slash proof. It comes with a wire cable that you can wrap around a fixed object (like a tree) and place your valuables in and lock it. I swapped out my lock with one that has letters so I won’t be challenged if I lost the key on the beach (wouldn’t that suck!) It is great for the wallet, cell phone or camera. Takes all the worry about watching items on beaches. In a pinch I have wrapped it around the legs of two lounge chairs. Can you just see some thief trying to run off with my bag along with two lounge chairs?? He would be pretty obvious. I think I could catch up with him. If not, I will just be the crazy lady who partook of too many rum punches and began to chase the man assigned to pick up the lounge chairs at the end of the day. I also use it in hotels without safes for such things as my ipad etc. You can fix it to pipes under a sink or a fixed rail etc. Enough of my tips, maybe I am just paranoid.

Mentioned in this post
Villa del Mar
Villa del Mar
793 Reviews
Providenciales
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
The Patty Place
The Patty Place
459 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,104 Reviews
Providenciales
Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Great trip report, so far, I am really enjoying reading it Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Lovely trip report and funny about the PacSafe. I have one but never used it yet and you are right about locking it to a big lounge chair is a good idea! ... One thing, I'm confused .... you wrote "She has two jobs and does the early morning set up here before working over at Sailing Paradise in the afternoon which is closed temporarily." I thought Sailing Paradise moved and open at a new location?

Edited: 27 July 2013, 23:32
Hamlet, IN
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

They are closed for a month, preparing for the re-opening at the new location she said.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Very funny and informative report! I am going to check out the Pacsafe....sounds perfect for the beach.

Can't wait to hear more. ;-)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Mr. Ajax locks his stuff the old fashion way...back pack to a lounge chair with a combination lock.

Funny story, staying at The Alexander, we came back from a walk, it was pouring rain, and the beach attendant took the whole lounge chair and dragged it across a football field length and plopped it safely under cover.

That guy got a great tip!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Great trip report! Enjoying the read and can't wait until Day 3!

We also have the Pac Safe and love it! But never thought about beinging it to the beach though......great suggestion!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

googling pacsafe now, thanks for the tip!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

Examined your Day 2 report and find no evidence of writer's block. DR. JIM

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

I enjoyed reading about your day. I'm also going to check out the Pac Safe-thanks for the tip!

Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Del Mar Day 2

When can we go back?