We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"No swimming inside bouyed area"

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
273 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
"No swimming inside bouyed area"

I saw in one of the pics a sign saying "No swimming inside bouyed area" This goes back to my original post - Why isnt anyone in the water in the pics anywhere? Why the bouys, what is the purpose?

Is Coral Gardens aka Reef Res. the only place to snorkel from? If snorkeling is important to me will I be happy at Sands, Palms etc?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
457 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

That is correct - no9 swimming inside the bouys at Coral Gardens. That is to protect the reef - although I saw a couple people yesterday swimming inside there - VERY BAD!!! Believe me, you see plenty snorkeling outside those bouys - I saw some turtles, baraccudas, fish, etc. It was incredible!

We stayed at the Sands and although the snorkeling wasn't near as good as at Coral Garden - it was still pretty good. I saw a baraccuda and some great looking angel fish - and a HUGE school of some kind of clear fish - must have been thousands! Some others say a jelly fish and some crabs. Plus, the beach at the Sands is AWESOME!! One of the best stretches in my opinion. We had a great time there and even though we love the snorkeling at CG - we are still going to go back to The Sands next year - that's how much we loved it.

P.S. There are plenty of people in the water at all times - but the beach is so big and beautiful that sometimes it feels like you have it all to yourself. Lots of pictures I took were around the morning time when there wasn't anyone around so I could get some clear great pictures. Grace Bay was definitely the BEST beach ever!

Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

hanalei princess...

i think you need to not worry about the number of people in the water...trust us...it's not because of some hidden negatives that no one is mentioning...it's just not a crowded place...

just as vegasm said...the buoys at the bight reef are for protection...both to protect the reef from snorkelers and also to protect the snorkelers from the fire coral that lives there...

i say that one could be happy anywhere along grace bay...but only you know what you really need to be happy...

just trust the fact that the beach is fantastic...all 12 miles of grace bay are spectacular and the REAL reason for not seeing a ton of people in the water is just that there isn't a ton of people there...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

Although Coral Gardens and Smiths Reef are good for snorkelling, I highly recommend you take a boat excursion. We did one with Caicos dream tours and what we saw was far better than anything off the beach.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

As for staying at The Sands, it is about 20 minutes walk to Coral Garden so I nice stroll...and is also closer to most of the restaurants and shopping areas.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
273 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

Thank you all! I Do Trust you! Just when I was on honeymoon in Cancun it turned out there was a real reason people werent in the water. I LOVE Tripadvisor!

Guess what!? I FINALLY got my UA mileage on USAir to work for May '07 So here we come T&C! Me ,my hubby and my adorable 3 year old, well he'll almost be 4 then! YEAH! Now I just get to stress about where to stay - Sands is very high on the list!

Im spoiled. I have been fortunate enough to have snorkeled in Maldives and also off Princeville resort where you have fabulous snorkeling right off the hotel beach, and it just happens to be some of the best snorkeling in the world! I think Maldives is really gotta be the best but I am looking forward to T&C proving me wrong! I am so excited to see T&C!

Thanks Again! :)

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

hanalei princess, In 30 hours we will be setting out to find waht we feel is the best snorkeling inT/C. Its a rough quest but someone has to do it. I'll be sure to post on our return. I better stop looking at this forum and go over my check lists.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

I've snorkeled Maldives too!! My absolute favorite islands in the world.

Having said that, I'm completely in love with Turks and Caicos.

The water there actually matches, if not beats out the Maldives!!!!

Snorkeling is in front of Coral Gardens, not really in front of Sands and Palm's. It's probably a 20 minute walk to CG from Palms.

As for the grassy areas you were asking about, I think the Somerset is closest to what you are looking at. Somerset is right next to Palm's. Sands is very landscaped, has cool shallow pools with bridges over them, but the grassy areas are landscaped, doesn't look like a lawn. But, if you choose Sands, (it's great for kids) it's only a 10 minute walk to Somerset and Palms.

All are on the same beach, but it's 12 miles long!!!!

8. Re: "No swimming inside bouyed area"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 21:18