We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parkville, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
Bugs?

Last year we went to Roatan...the bugs were crazy, but we were warned by our fellow trip advisor travelers. Has anyone had trouble with bugs in Provo? We are going in mid October.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs?

When we went one October the bugs weren't too bad. You just had to watch out at dusk if you were down on the beach for the noseeum's and in the evening for the mosquitos. We made sure to put Off on before we went out for the evening and got very few bites. If you forget most restaurants have it which is nice.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 10 September 2013, 16:29
Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs?

a good tip is to put skin moisturiser on your legs and ankles for no-see-um bites. they do not have the same receptors as mosquitos so OFF / DEET can be ineffective against these.

the moisturiser prevents them biting!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs?

Oh goody, a bug question that is probably bugging you to get an answer. As long as you are breathing you are giving off CO2 to attract the flying bugs that go for the bite. Skin scent is secondary. So using a combination bug spray, topical lotions and bug bands will even the odds against them from seeking you out and attacking your skin. I am talking about the flying kind here. Not so much of a problem either with the crawling kind on the places we were at on Provo that we'd seen just a couple of weeks ago. Did see some flies doing their thing(flying and landing) being pesks in a couple of the restaurants we visited around our tables. Overall, got just a couple of skeeter bites. Nothing like slapping the back of your calf or your face and get that red juice(blood) smeared over your skin. Too late. So there is not a major problem on Provo if you protect your skin before you venture out in darker light with no wind to blow them away. However, Middle Caicos was terrible this year. The weight of the world bug/insect ratio to humans by the way, is about 28:1. So there is over 2 tons of insects for every human. Don't let those bugs drive you crazy and spoil your trip? DR. JIM

Edited: 10 September 2013, 17:23
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs?

Depending on the recent weather, you may or may not run into mosquitoes. Remember: standing water (from rain) means good mosquito breeding grounds. On some visits we were not bothered at all, but on other visits the repellent was kept busy. Unless you absolutely know that some alternative repellent works for you, I recommend taking some DEET based repellent along; you might not need it, but if you do you will be glad you have it. Getting repellent locally can be a problem; on one trip, following some storms that left a lot of water around, the mosquitoes were really buzzing... so much that the local stores had run out of commercial repellent. We were glad we had brought our own.

Virginia
Level Contributor
537 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs?

We had no issues whatsoever just three weeks ago- only one mosquito bite for the week and we did not use any preventative measures. That wonderful ocean breeze seems to keep them away. We ate outside every night after dark with no problems!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs?

No trouble with bugs. We have some really cool bugs here if you take the time to look for them. We have the scolopendra gigantea--totally awesome- especially if you find a big one (around 12"). Careful, this one is a bit nervous and can bite.

If you are really lucky you might find a snap or click beetle. They are flat and elongated; sort of a boat shape. Turn them on their back and they will snap and flip themselves right side up. They are unremarkable in the day but at night they have these emerald spots that glow in the dark. Totally harmless.

The Money Bat can be found flitting around most nights. Beautiful moth and said to bring good fortune should one land on your nose.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,929 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs?

The problem is not as big as in Roatan, which is notorious for Mosquitos.

But there are No-See-Ums, which come out for a short time after rain bursts, and love to come out at dusk for about an hour.

Some people are bug magnets (myself being one) I find that OFF in the evening before going out to dinner works well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs?

I just googled scolopendra gigantea and I must say, that is some ugly looking bug! I hope I never meet up with one!!!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs?

I guess beauty truly is in the eye of ;the beholder 'cause I think they are awesome. My son woke one morning to a huge one--big around as my thumb-dangling over his head from the popcorn ceiling. We kept it and named it Fawkes--released it after a few months.

I used to have a picture of one as my lobomago photo but took it down when requested by a poster who said it was giving her nightmares--now I have Boy's handsome mug.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 21:55
New York
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs?

I got a few bites when I went in June, nothing bad.