We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with last minute trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with last minute trip

Hi everyone,

Although this is my first official tripadvisor post I've been stalking this forum for years now. :) I am trying to pull off a trip this November or December to Grace Bay and could use some advice.

The trip would be for my fiance and I for 5 nights. A little about us - we've traveled all over the Caribbean, drove through Mexico, been to Europe, etc. I had thought I had found places I loved and then in May 2012 I visited Turks & Caicos with some girlfriends and I fell head over heels in love with the island. I've been talking about getting back there with my fiance since I returned, literally. Here's the catch - he's traveled extensively and is very much a "see as much as you can while on vacation" person meaning he hates the idea of staying in one spot for 5 nights. I plan on keeping us busy and I'm hoping he loves the island as much as I do.

Anyways! I previously stayed at a villa in the Turtle Cove area and loved it but for us I think we will stay on the beach. I've narrowed my search down to The Alexandra or Royal West Indies due to our budget...things I am hoping for - somewhere close enough to bike to Green Bean Cafe, a sauna or hot tub of some sort, walkable to great food (we went to Mango Reef and Somewhere on our girls trip and loved both places, I know Mango is at the Alexandra), walkable to the grocery store (I know this may be pushing it :) ) A place that would allow us to bring a potcake back for the day would be a huge plus but not a requirement. This forum helped me SO much for the girls trip in 2012 so thank you. :)

We are aiming for mid-November or the first week in December and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on which would be a better time to go? I'm from Boston and three weeks here can mean a pretty decent shift in weather so I figured it was worth asking! I've found some good deals and I think we are leaning towards the Alexandra but I'm open to suggestions...I'd like to rent a car for at least one day to get back to Taylor Bay, etc.

Sorry this is so long! Thanks!

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with last minute trip

How fun. I can't really comment on either place, since we've only stayed at Sands on Provo; however, I suggest a day trip to North/Middle. If your fiancé likes to be "on the go", heading over to the other islands would be a great way to make him happy and see another side of TCI. Mudjin Harbor on Middle is a must see IMO---it's breathtaking!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with last minute trip

Sounds like you are taking my twin? I have been traveling for 6 decades around the world since the 60's. Just look at my world travel map?--YES, I been to all the continents. I am like him--see as much as you can also. GO, GO GO--SEE, SEE, SEE!! We too are going for 5 nights late November for a quickie, but DR. VICKI isn't in on the little secret until we have our Wednesday night out dinner and she gets a plate @ the restaurant with the surprise paper entree'. Leaving in 10 hrs. notice to Provo. Well, you should plan to rent a puddle bug/clown car for your trip to get up & GGOOO to see/explore the Island. If you can get Oceanfront with a view of Gracie, you will do good in my book. There is a romantic vibe to the ALEX for couples. Though if can swing for Oceanfront front @ Indy--you're IN!. Also, if you want to go to Coco Bistro(most romantic), mention my name to Stewart(Chef-Owner) or Steven(Manager) and you're IN! This I guarantee you and they will tell you a story about me and my 4 girls being there twice last month. Take a jaunt through the Blue Hills area along the road by the water and enjoy a lunch @ the da Conch Shack. Go to the South side of Provo and tell your guy to wade out in the water and see how far it takes him to get up to his waist in water(don't lose sight of him?). Be spontaneous! You're the planner and him--well, I guess he is the quest -of-honor you aim to please. Let us know how this goes? Now I am expecting an about average trip report from you. DR. JIM

Edited: 12 September 2013, 15:52
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with last minute trip

The Alex has bikes you can use to get to Green Bean café. I believe there is a side walk most of the way to Turtle Cove area. there is also Caicos Dream Tours excursion desk right on the beach in front of the Alex you must take him on a snorkel excursion and visit the little cays along the way.

Potcake Place will let you adopt a dog for the day. They're at the Salt Mills Plaza. Very nice people that run Potcake Place,... you can tell they care dearly for these pups. They pour their hearts and souls into getting these pups forever homes.

Have a great time, where ever you decide to stay.

maryland
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with last minute trip

Potcake plAce will generally let you take the puppies out in the morning or afternoon. They like to keep them out of the high mid afternoon heat. We usually bring them out in the summer so the rules may be different in the somewhat cooler months. Some resorts won't let you on property with the dog. Just check with the resort you end up staying at.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with last minute trip

Thank you everyone!

We volunteered with Potcake Place when we were on the island (and drove around delivering food and water to stray dogs) I am involved in animal rescue in Boston so visiting and learning about the stray dog problem on T & C was actually part of what led me to Provo in the first place...

My morning research (sorry work :/) led me to the Sands. Is it much better than the Alexandra and worth the extra money? RWI looks a little farther down the island than I'd like to be.

Does anyone know if there are spa services, especially a sauna, at the Alexandra? I can't find definite info. online and they have not replied to my email from beginning of the week.

Thank you for the tip about Mudjin Harbor! And I will absolutely drop your name at Coco Bistro, Dr. Jim. Thank you! It was on our list for our girls trip but we scratched it last minute. (Visiting every continent over 6 decades reminds me very much of Brad, we'll see how close he gets with time! :) )

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with last minute trip

There is Spa service at the Alex... no Sauna

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with last minute trip

We stayed at the Alexandra on our first trip to Provo in May. I just booked our return trip for March and we are staying at the Alex again. It's perfect for us - the location is perfect and the rooms are very nice and modern. We brought our potcake to the Alex three mornings and there were a few others there as well. We had to keep him on the beach, but we walked through the property and rinsed his feet off at the foot spray station area. We even took turns holding him as we took a quick dip in the pool to cool off before taking him back to Potcake Place. Of course, we ended up adopting the little cutie! Best souvenir ever!!

As far as being on the go, the Alex has complimentary kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, paddle boats and rafts. You can also walk to the snorkel area near Somewhere and do a morning of snorkeling followed by lunch and cocktails at Somewhere. It's also a quick walk to Bay Bistro and Hemingway's.

We rented a car for our entire stay and will be doing that again on our next trip to give us flexibility. It's definitely worth renting a car to go to Taylor Bay and visit Chalk Sound. Maybe lunch at Las Brisas followed by kayaking Chalk Sound?

If you're there on a Thursday night, the Fish Fry is awesome! Great food and entertainment.

I can't help with November vs. December since I haven't been that time of year.

Have fun!

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with last minute trip

While staying at RWI this summer, there were more pot cakes than people on the beach..Just kidding, but every day different guests had pot cakes with them.. Some guests took out a different pot cake every day, just for people to see and touch the pup..Heard of a few being adopted due to the outing on the beach.The pups loved playing with each other,,They did have o have them back by 1PM due to the afternoon heat..

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with last minute trip

Bay Bistro is definitely on my list too, I didn't realize it was walkable from Alex!

I was reading about the Fish Fry and it sounds amazing but I wasn't sure it would still be going on in November?

Due to flights it looks like we are most likely be traveling the first week in December.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
703 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with last minute trip

Maybe price out the Ocean Club West too, as it is walking distance to many restaurants, IGA Gourmet, Potcake Place, shopping & car rentals! They have a wonderful ocean front restaurant...Seaside Cafe which is reasonably priced & delicious food for breakfast, lunch & dinner.