We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another First-Timers Trip Report

state college
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Another First-Timers Trip Report

Here goes....

Before I start I just want to send a huge thanks to all the folks on TA. This is my second vacation experience since discovering TA and all the wonderful, helpful tips created another unforgettable experience.

I'll try not to do each day's itinerary but hit more on the points that (hopefully) some may find helpful as they plan their first trip.

We stayed at The Sands from 9/23-9/30 and it was the perfect spot for my husband and I -- casual yet nice. Everyone was so pleasant and we love Hemmingway's. I did a review for Sands if anyone is considering it for their stay.

-- Beaches: I am a beach person at heart and have been fortunate to visit some special beach destinations. Until visiting Provo, I thought Curacao had the nicest water I had ever seen. HOWEVER, my first sighting of Grace Bay shot that assumption down. The water is so clear and calm with so many shades of Turquoise!! On my list was a lunch date with Las Brisas and I couldn't stop staring at that electric color. I am only sorry that my pictures didn't reflect the true color I experienced. We also hit Taylor Bay and found it fairly easily thanks to many directions from everyone on TA and some ppl we met while at Sands. Taylor Bay and Chalk Sound are reason enough to get a rental car. We also went to Long Bay Beach and again, loved it. We had it basically all too ourselves and it was my first time actually seeing Conch shells that weren't in a gift shop.

-- People: We found everyone around the island to be friendly. Some servers at restaurants just may not have been as chatty as we are used to but again, always friendly.

-- Meals: I surprised my hubby with this trip and we didn't budget very well so we tried to limit our meals out. However, lunch at Las Brisas was a must and was wonderful. I think this may have been our "cheapest" meal as well. The nachos were delish!! As per TA tip... they had ice tea with free refills. We also had our "special" dinner at Coco Bistro and again, perfection from start to finish. Other stops..Danny Buoy's, dinner ON BEACH/AT SUNSET at Mango Reef, drink at Sharkbite, sunset dinner at Flamingo Cafe (only a few ppl there -- loved it!) and several meals at Hemmingway's. Oh....and don't miss the Fish Fry!

-- Potcake Place: I knew about all the stray dogs ahead of time but it still broke my heart to see them all. I found two buds at the Fish Fry and one pup on the beach one day that played with me under my umbrella while my husband snorkeled at Bight Reef. So...had to make a visit to Potcake place where they do amazing things to find these pups forever home. WHEN I return I hope I can help by being a courier.

-- Snorkeling -- I still haven't mastered this so with my trusty raft (again, purchased before the trip after TA tip so I'd have it for Taylor Bay) I would float and pop under water with my mask to view the sights. We didn't take an excursion this visit but saw many wonders while at Bight and Smith's reefs.

I know I left out so much but let me just close by saying that although my husband thought I was a bit too planned on this trip, I felt I needed to check off as many must-sees as I could. I think our next visit will be more "play it by ear" since we can just hit our fav places while exploring things/places we didn't get to first time around. We loved the quiet of September but I must get back asap so I'm hoping June/July will still be fairly quiet while coming sooner than a fall trip. I am already checking daily for flight deals, etc.

Weather was perfect for me...sunny every day (except our last day with still no rain) with maybe a shower in a.m. or overnight. Hot -- which I love.

Yes Provo..I get you and I so miss you. Until we meet again......back to work :(

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,748 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

Sounds great woohoostatecollege. Glad you enjoyed

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

Glad you enjoyed it, I know you were on here researching for a while. Sometime you have to go over to North and Middle Caicos too.

Go PSU!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

"Taylor Bay and Chalk Sound are reason enough to rent a car" - Exactly!!!

Thanks for a great report and so glad that you loved/ enjoyed Provo like the rest of us here on the forum!

Happy planning!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
501 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

Awesome report! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

It sounds like you had a great time! We too did a lot on our first visit and then on subsequent visits really chilled out. It really is an amazing place. If you go back next summer it will be busier with more kids if that matters to you. I say go whenever you can....a day on Grace Bay Beach beats any day at work! ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

DR. JIM has examined this trip report & states in his opinion, in great Provo health. You are scheduled for the next one(trip) in 2014 for follow-up. .

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

Thank you for the trip report.

About your comment on loving September and hoping June/July will be just as quiet- we loved October and was surprised at how many more people were there in July. Had always read summer was slow and was looking forward to it but it was so busy. Maybe it was a fluke, but just a heads up.

8. Re: Another First-Timers Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:19