We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
193 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater camera

So been looking for an underwater camera, I looked at the canon d20 but it felt so cheap in my hands, just wasn't impressed.

After much looking narrowed it to the Panasonic Lumix dmc-Ft5 and the more expensive Nikon 1 AW 1

Just discovered sealife cameras too, any input?

Not looking to spend more than $1000

Anyone tried either of these two/three?!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater camera

Sorry should have put links in maybe

Nikon

photographyreview.com/reviews/nikon-1-aw1-wo…

Panasonic

photographyblog.com/reviews/…

Sealife

http://www.sealife-cameras.com

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater camera

You might also consider a GoPro camera if you want to shoot video. I had a great experience using mine while snorkeling the reefs.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater camera

I have had good success with my Lumix, although it is 3 years old now and this technology is moving fast. Other "waterproof" cameras I had only lasted 12 - 18 months before having problems. Mine does decent videos, although for ideos I am probably the primary limitation rather than the camera.

The Canon D20 is a well liked camera by those who use it though.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater camera

Yes just heard about The Go Pro on our last vacation.

I was at the Airport looking for a disposable underwater camera and all they had were the Go Pros which were about $450 at the Airport.We did not buy it as it was to expensive and did find the disposable one at the resort when we arrived.

This past Sunday the show 60 mins did a feature on the Go Pro camera and the founder.

It seems like this camera which also shoots video all in HD is the wave of the future and less than the $450 airport price at your local electronics chain.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater camera

We Have a go pro looking for good still photos:)

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater camera

May I suggest you contact Jack at Optical Ocean Sales. I live in Colorado, but I still bought through him based on a recommendation from a fellow diver who lives in Virginia. Jack was extremely knowledgeable about all the various underwater photographic equipment on the market, and helpful in figuring out what would be right for me, plus he has competitive pricing. Also I would recommend asking this question on www.scubaboard.com - there are several photography forums with tons of great info.

http://opticaloceansales.com

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater camera

According to the december issue of consumer reports, here is the latest ratings

panasonic lumix DMC-T55

olympus stylus TG-830 iHS

Nikon coolpix AW110

panasonic lumix DMC-TS4

sony cyber-shot DSC-TX30

fujifilm finepix XP200W

olympus stylus TG-2 iHS

canon powershot D20

Olympus stylus TG-630 iHS

in that order nothing over $400. They also stated a new Nikon1 Aw1 just released at $800 model, SLR like with a waterproof depth to 60ft and it can withstand a drop from 6.6ft

Hope that helps

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
290 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater camera

The GoPro is amazing!! It takes stunning video up to 4K HD and the pictures it takes are amazing too. The top model retails for $399.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater camera

I love my Olympus Stylus TG-2. It is my second Olympus underwater camera. I had my first one for 5 years before it started leaking. Even then, when it dried out, it continued to take fabulous pics. Both my first one and this one were christened in Grace Bay, 5 years apart!

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater camera

Hi,

If you are looking for an underwater camera for snorkeling or scuba diving, a good alternative is Liquid Image scuba masks with an integrated camera. The advantage is that your hands are free most of the time! You can find information at: www.liquidimageco.com/collections/scuba.

Cheers!