We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crime against tourist

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
crime against tourist

I've been reading posts from earlier this year regarding crimes against tourists. Does anyone have more current info on this topic? Also, there have been warnings against going to more secluded areas such as Pirates Cave, etc. Any info?

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crime against tourist

its all in the previous posts, nothing new which is good news??

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: crime against tourist

Nope! Dr. Jim

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crime against tourist

Never felt threatened in the 3 trips that I had visited.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: crime against tourist

That is old news, thankfully. They have caught the people responsible and things are back to normal. The more secluded areas are still a bit iffy...I wouldn't feel comfortable going to any areas that are really isolated, even in the US.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 04:10
McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crime against tourist

My wife, children and I have been to Provo more than 25 times. From a safety stand point, we have never felt uneasy. It is one, if not the safest, island in the Caribbean and is one of the many reasons that I am so fond of Provo.

However, like most major U.S. cities, I do recommend that you take some precautions at night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crime against tourist

"The more secluded areas are still a bit iffy"

It's an issue of probability, odds. Risk/reward ratio. How "iffy" is the "iffy."

Avoid the secluded areas and you're missing a great part of what Provo has to offer.

So, you make your assessment, approximating from the data available. Let's say you figure for every 100,001 people who venture out, 1 will likely have an encounter involving violence or robbery with the threat of violence. Are you willing to forgo the benefits based on hundred thousand to one risk? Apply that to normal living and you're huddling in your bedroom your whole life (especially, don't venture into the bathroom, where the odds of accident tilt dangerously).

But if your assessment is the odds are more like 100 to one, 1%, that's significant; scary. Even a thousand to one might give some reasonable person cause to hesitate; of course everyone has his own level of comfort. But if you demand a million to one or better odds against injury, or robbery with that threat, you're not just on the wrong island, you're on the wrong planet.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
610 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crime against tourist

We booked our trip right after those crime reports came out. We almost didn't go to Prov because of it. My husband and I walked from Ports Of Call shopping area to Hemingways one night never feeling unsafe. We didnt walk through dark alleys or anything like that. Those crimes are old news. Go and enjoy and dont worry about what happened in the past. I believe those are isolated incidents.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crime against tourist

To answer your 2nd question: While you're quite safe in the tourist areas of Grace Bay, Leeward I would not venture out to Pirates Cove, Malcolm Beach or other isolated areas of Provo especially with your rental car. Road access is sketchy and you are very isolated in case of emergency. Even as locals, if we are out kitesurfing the break at NW POINT Light we bring two 4x4's, tow straps, shovels just in case. A disabled vehicle will leave you very venerable to other issues.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crime against tourist

"While you're quite safe in the tourist areas of Grace Bay, Leeward I would not venture out to Pirates Cove, Malcolm Beach or other isolated areas of Provo"

Over, say, the last year, what percentage of the total attacks on tourists ( a very small number) took place in "the tourist areas of Grace Bay" vs. those in Pirates Cove or Malcolms Beach?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crime against tourist

But Hey, to Look at it another way, if only 100 people went out to Bonefish Pointer and 20 had something happen to them, and 10,000s Hang out at Grace Bay with only a HANDLFUL of attacks, wouldnt you say

The odds are still much better at Grace Bay?