We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
205 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
First timers!

We arrived at seven stars yesterday after a nonstop flight from boston that actually landed 40 minutes early. Our room was not ready but we were given a changing room at the spa and spent the afternoon on the beach and then the pool, capped off with a great dinner at The Deck (separate review). Weather is currently about 80 degrees with sun and a couple of quick morning showers. It is a bit windy which is keeping the bugs away which is nice because I usually get eaten alive immediately upon arrival! Hotel is gorgeous, service extremely friendly and welcoming. Just got our jeep from rent a buggy, and off to walk the beach and take a ride around the island. First impression...wonderful!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers!

Awesome... keep the reports coming for us in the Northeast and beyond

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
940 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers!

Sounds like a nice start, hope you get to snorkel and try some other fine restaurants on the island.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
205 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers!

So yesterday was our first full day on the island. After our excellent Seven Stars breakfast we headed out to check out the kite surfers at Long Bay. It was really windy yesterday and there quite a few of them flying across the waves, fun to see. Nice beach too. We missed the turn a couple of times so just make sure to make the turn at the Shore Club sign, go to the end and make a left to park. We went to the iga for some supplies, we were so impressed with the selections, almost like home! Of course the prices were insane but we expect that in the islands.. We drove to the Turtle Cove area to scope out some spots for future lunches. Spent the afternoon at the beach, then off to Bay Bistro. It took a couple of tries to find in the dark, we even stopped to ask a security guard at salt mill plaza and he sent us in the complete opposite direction lol! Our table was at the edge closest to the ocean. Ambiance is really nice with tiki torches etc but obviously with the sun setting here at about 5 you don't really get any benefit from the waterfront location. My blue cheese and pear salad and conch wontons were good, but the star of the show was husband's pecan encrusted conch, absolutely delicious. Service was low key and friendly.

Much less wind this morning and sun and clouds in the low 80s with occasional showers. The plan is for some shopping and then a trip to Taylor bay. Feeling bad about the wintry weather at home and so glad we are here!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers!

How did I miss this yesterday. Enjoy and keep em coming. I need my SS fix

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers!

Sounds so nice! Looking forward to more reports!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
205 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers!

Up early this morning to clear skies. We had a busy day yesterday so I promised husband that today would be low key, we'll see! After stocking up with necessities at The Wine Cellar we headed out for lunch at Las Brisas. After a couple more wrong turns (getting to be a theme of this trip!) we arrived a little before noon and grabbed a table overlooking beautiful Chalk Sound. Words can't describe the gorgeous color of this water, it is such a light blue green color, almost unreal. Relaxing lunch included my lobster club sandwich which was delicious and husbands conch wrap, also very good. I thought the drink prices here were very reasonable, and our lunch was about 66 dollars with two sandwiches and three drinks...a good deal when you include the priceless view! We turned right out of las brisas and then made a left onto Ocean Pointe road, parked halfway down and took the footpath to Taylor Bay. Again this was a breathtaking beach with extremely shallow, calm water...I kept walking and the water didn't get much deeper than waist-high. This beach reminded me of Cove Bay in Anguilla but with no beach bar! Be aware that there is zero shade here so next time I would bring an umbrella for husbands sake who burns instantly in the sun. We headed back for late afternoon drinks on the beach at the hotel. The temperature of the water is delightful right now, with choppy waves which I don't mind but there were not many swimmers in the water.

Dinner was at Mango Reef. We had checked out the resort in the afternoon and really liked the look and feel of this place. I can see why it gets lots of return visitors...and what a fun lazy river style pool with swim up bar! Anyway husband kept it light with escargot two ways, six with garlic butter and six with a garlic cream sauce, both good but the ones with the cream sauce were out of this world! I had the grilled lobster, delicious. I know it seems like I love everything and every meal but I did so much research on this forum to make sure everything was perfect. So a big thanks to the forum for all the great info!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers!

I must say for first timers its very impressive and refreshing to see this kind of activity. Renting a car on the first visit isn't something people normally do. Enjoying reading your reports

I don't know of you noticed the other thread but I'm here as well in the same hotel. 6th floor of the Alya building. We got here on the same day

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
205 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers!

Oops, forgot husband had tuna and salmon sashimi app also, very good, extremely hot wasabi!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers!

Where did you rent the car and if you dont mind me asking, about how much is it to rent a car for the week?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers!

Sorry another question: How is the weather today? (if you are up yet...) We are headed down this Saturday and weather.com shows it to be cloudy but I went on another site and it has completely sunny?