We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

I'm trying to plan our summer vacation for a family of 4 (kids will be 5 almost 6 and 3.5 years old) this June for 5 nights. I am looking at staying at the Seven Stars in a 1 bedroom Ocean View suite for $650 a night (25% early bird special), but wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to other accommodations. From what I've read it seems that SS has the best proximity to restaurants and IGA, but since I've never been don't know what other resort offers similar proximity , amenities, and accommodations. Also, we really don't want to rent a car. We really just want to relax by pool and beach and possibly do a day pass to Beaches for the kiddos (is it worth it?). Any feedback is appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

Seven Stars is a fine choice. but there are several others, Ocean Club West, Grace Bay Club, The Sands, and Somerset are also nearby. Check with www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc for rates and comparisons.

Day passes to Beaches are very expensive, IMO. I would recommend you walk by the place before making a decision. Some people love it, some don't. That's your call.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 11:46
Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
904 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay Club
Grace Bay Club
1,836 Reviews
Providenciales
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

Call Seven Stars directly ask for yngrit. She will give you the best price on 7 Stars. You can also "like" their page on Facebook, I've seen up to 40% off and upgrades

Beaches day passes from 10am to 6pm are $220 per person. This means lunch only and all you can drink. So roughly $900 for your family. For that money you can actually spend 1 night there and get more out of it. (although you do have to check out by 11, they'll let you linger a couple more hours at the facilities)

3. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 21:05
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

Thank you all for your responses!

@blamona After reading your post I went to beaches website to check on a one night stay, but they don't offer special rates for 1 night and the cheapest room comes out to $1758 :/ Darn!! The day pass prices are pretty expensive, but I might just have to bite the bullet so the kiddos can have some fun.

@Ziggy I will definitely read your survival guide!

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

I'm not quite sure what your kids like to do for fun, but we have been traveling to TCI with our 3 boys for the last three years and find that they are content playing on the beach. There are also activities on island, like snorkel/boat tours. There is even a pirate themed one (Captain Bill Outback adventure), as well was a submarine adventure. Just throwing out other options so you don't have to shell out big bucks, when they might just be as happy on the beach.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

Thank you @3boys for that info! Last year we took kids to Grand Cayman and kids did have a blast enjoying the beach, but we did go to Turtle Farm, Atlantis submarine tour, and took a half day boat tour where we did some reef fishing and went to Star Island. I just didn't see a lot of stuff to do in T&C with the kids and thought Beaches day pass would be an option. I will definitely look into your suggestions (especially the Captain Bill Outback adventure) as Beaches is quite expensive and I know we probably wouldn't be there for the full 7 hours the day pass allows. Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,557 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

You may be surprised to see how much fun the kids can have just in the resort itself. I have been going there for years and see plenty of kids enjoy themselves the entire day on the pool and beach. I never met a guest who did the Beaches thing

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

The kids will have fun without Beaches. My 12 year old always has a blast.

Check out half day tour at Island Vibes. They will love it!

Captain Bills also fun.

Fun for kids, fun for parents. Actually exploring islands and uninhabited places where beaches and scenery blow you away. Snorkeling for sand dollars. Looking for iguanas. Diving off the roof diving board! Snorkeling the reef.

Your local summer amusement park could be like Beaches. I prefer the real adventure!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
174 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

I agree with everyone else about Beaches. We went to Provo when my twins were a couple months shy of 5. We did a half day excursion (we used Caicos Dreams . . . Need to look into Capt. Bill!), the semi-submersible (they loved this) and did a day trip to Taylor Bay/Chalk Sound. The rest of the week, my kids were 100% happy with hanging by the pool and beach - with help from some beach toys and the occasional non-alcoholic strawberry daquari. We are headed back this April when they are 7 and we'll do much of the same - maybe with a day trip to Middle Caicos this time and a ride with Provo Ponies.

Good luck with your plans!

Mentioned in this post
Chalk Sound
Chalk Sound
1,180 Reviews
Providenciales
Middle Caicos
Middle Caicos
Turks and Caicos
Provo Ponies
Provo Ponies
800 Reviews
Providenciales
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning first family trip to Provo with kids

Again, I would walk down and take a look at what you're getting into with Beaches. We decided after 10 seconds there that it wasn't for us. Our two sons have been vacationing in the T&C since they were ages 1 & 5. They're now 14 & 19. We've never stayed at Beaches, and they've never uttered the words, "I'm bored."