We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

Save Topic
Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

My partner and I booked a (non-refundable) 10-day trip to Beaches Turks & Caicos last night for our daughters' Spring Break in March. Being from Toronto and usually spending family vacations in major US cities and Mexico, we sometimes forget that gay families are not so 'mainstream' elsewhere in the world. Something clicked in my mind this morning to check, and I have since been feverishly googling and reading that both Turks & Caicos as well as Beaches' parent company, Sandals, are not very gay-friendly.

As my anxiety is now through the roof over what could possibly happen, I am hoping that someone on the Trip Advisor forum has seen gay families checked in to Beaches. I am assuming that if we do not leave the resort, safety will not be an issue. Should we be concerned about issues with staff at the resort? I am doubting my ability to keep up a charade as the nanny, <insert nervous laughter here>.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully will ease my nerves a little bit!

Mentioned in this post
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Beaches Turks & Caicos...
11,214 Reviews
Providenciales
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

I have read many reports from gay couples here on TA and have always said they were treated quite well in TCI. Not sure about Beaches. There are several threads with this type of information if you just plug in the criteria you are looking for in the search box directly above your post.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

You can take a look at this thread which is specific to Beaches.

tripadvisor.com/…17292955

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

I understand your stress over this….but how sad that you have to worry about it!

Have met many gay people in TCI and no one has had any issues. I am sure that Beaches will be the same. Go and have a great time, don't worry about it and try to go out of the resort to experience what Provo is really all about.

Be yourselves and have fun!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

We have met, hung out with, ate, drank and partied with several gay couples in TCI and never noticed them being treated any differenty than my wife and I. Can't imagine Beaches would be any different.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

Given the size of the island, there are a number of gay people here--both local and expat. They tend to be a bit more low key than you sometimes find in the US, but they are here. While the voice of the community (churches and pastors) may be vocally against homosexuality; on an individual level I find most people here to be quite tolerant.

I have never been to Beaches though my suspicion is that they are more interested in your dollars than your lifestyle. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,504 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

Here's my take, Sandals the parent company is not very gay friendly. It's adults only, couples only. So I think their parent company can be more obvious at the Sandals brand resorts.

For example at Sandals Antigua I traveled with my sister and they wouldn't let me tour with her because we weren't a hetero couple.

Beaches is very family friendly. They have weekends with single parents. They have friends and family traveling together with kids.

I've gone to many restaurants outside of Beaches resorts with my gay friends, nobody noticed.

I've been to Beaches, and quite frankly never noticed.

I don't think anyone at Beaches would even think about it.

Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

Haven't seen any with signs around their necks identifying themselves as such. Haven't seen any straight people with signs either. There must be some of both. :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

Beaches Resorts advertises a tag line that they are "Resorts For Everyone"

You won't have any problems there. Go, and have a blast!!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

I say....go on vacation and enjoy yourselves.

Besides.....A "Modern Family" is more than acceptable these days.

Most people have come out of their caves.

Just my thoughts.

Mike and TCILover.......

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay Families at Beaches Turks & Caicos

I'm sure there were lots of families vacationing at beaches when we were there, never noticed anyone getting a hard time - maybe outside of the chair saving game. :). I honestly don't pay that much attention to others, I just love seeing the smiling faces and hearing laughter. My husband and I are an interracial couple and never had any issues but I do have to say, sometimes it crosses my mine when travelling or when's e go out to dinner, etc, wondering if people are looking at us differently.

Enjoy your vacation, like a posted stated above, beaches is for everyone.