We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Friendliest Island List

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Another Friendliest Island List

Yes, another Top Friendliest List. Conde Nast Traveller. Of course this list is for the Caribbean, which Providenciales is technically not, so maybe that's the reason it's not included this time.

It's not that folks are UN-friendly here (and many of them are _very_ nice) it's just most seem off in another world somewhere.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

The word is "Reserved". As in "Its not that Ziggy is unfriendly. He's just a reserved and confused individual"

I dont know how Conde Nast bases those lists. From random travelers experiences? What makes an Island friendly.

Its not as if they are doing any sort of scientific studies like National Geo does where they rank happiest/saddest people in the world. Do you know that the saddest people are Moldovans. And the happiest? Ex-Moldovans! I'll be here all week folks. Seriously I got nowhere else to go

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

"Do you know that the saddest people are Moldovans. And the happiest? Ex-Moldovans!"

The way I heard it:

Do you know that the saddest people are Moldovans. And the happiest? Moldovans who have moved somewhere else!

Of course it wasn't Moldovans; you just fill in the nationality! My youngest daughter first heard it during a trip to Ireland.

BTW I know reserved. I'm talking about disconnected or something, but even though I've interacted with dozens over the past few years and observed that in most of them, that's too small and random a sample for any meaningful generalization.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 15:35
New York
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

The saddest group of people are Brooklynites who have just returned from Provo after being there 3 weeks (1 extra week than expected because Jet Blue couldn't fly them home) and now don't know when they are going to be able to return.

The happiest group of people are Brooklynites if they ever get compensation from Jet Blue for being stranded for one week, and that compensation is a round trip ticket to Provo. Really quite simple.

4. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 18:35
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

I was one of the lucky ones to have seen, and experienced the island back then. The islanders were born and raised on Provo, or one of the other Turks islands. Now... not so much. If you went out sailing you couldn't tell if there were resorts on the island... the very few they had, Maybe that's why I'm drawn to Bay Bistro ( Le Deck) to start off may day. Beside Club Med that is the only original structure on the beach.

London, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

It was truly beautiful then and the people were outgoing and friendly. Still have good belonger friends that started in those days.

Can't blame belongers for being "unfriendly" - they are probably just bitter about what happened to their island.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 00:19
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

Before the corrupted development of Provo kicked in Blue Hills was a very friendly outgoing place. If you are one of the trip advisor " experts" and you don't know what Blue Hills is besides a spot on Provo you are just another bloviating pretender. Belongers are bitter because they were had by elected officials and Blue Hills has developed into desolation. Might as well go o Cancun, it's closer, prettier, and friendlier. Crying shame.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

Is it John G or Jason K ? We are all guilty of making the island what it is today. Maybe in a minor way, but still guilty, even you.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

I'll be the first pompous DE to welcome you to the forum, how's that for friendly?

Closer Prettier, friendlier? Happy you found your happy place, I'll stick to mine.

As for travel, been going to Provo for 20 years, and have always gotten along with Belongers.

You get what you give!

maryland
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Friendliest Island List

Blamona, wow you know what "bloviating" means.

Jason K, Cancun, really?